Sponsored Links

Questions before joining BT Infinity

I'm thinking of joining the BT Infinity 40Mb Unlimited package, I've read the stories about 300Gb usage and I'm now unsure whether or not I should go with it. I use the internet mainly for browsing, watching HD videos a lot, P2P occasionally for <5Gb files, play on two xboxes, download a lot of games off Steam. What I wanted to know is would 300Gb be enough for me, I'm currently with Virgin and I'm not sure if they have a limit but I've never hit it anyway. Also heres the stats I managed to get from my Dir-615 router if they help or would Virgin be able to tell me my monthly usage if I call them up.

Code:
 	     Receive	        Transmit
Internet     3229917            1996090 
LAN          2037771            3238773
WIRELESS     1617180            2443529
11n

Do you know what the speed goes down to after you hit the limit or is it a random number?

Last edited:
Hi Bigboss,

If you're already on Virgin's cable platform, which has an array of faster and more flexible broadband options available, then I frankly would not take the risk of swapping to BT. I don't know what package you have now but swapping to BT is also likely to cost you since the two platforms are not compatible and as a result you may need a new phone line.

Ironically you might have better luck trying to coax a cheaper deal out of Virgin Media or simply upgrading your package onto one of the newer ones.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice I think I will go Virgin but only broadband I'm not sure if they give good retention deals for just broadband without line or anything else but I'm going to try.

It's all about voice calls butler, Virgin wants you to make calls so it prices the standalone solution far higher to encourage adoption of its voice line service too (also looks good on their financials). Of course a crafty user will just get the bundle and never bother to make any calls :) .

It's all about voice calls butler, Virgin wants you to make calls so it prices the standalone solution far higher to encourage adoption of its voice line service too (also looks good on their financials). Of course a crafty user will just get the bundle and never bother to make any calls :) .

Yes, shame I never researched before joining Virgin but I won't make the same mistake. Over the last 12 months I've been stung in the butt by Virgins phone tariff and I've just been offered by them: M TV with free HD box (don't watch a lot of tv, it'll do), 50Mb BB with their new router free and unlimited calls plan and 250 mins free on 0870 and 0845 numbers all for £34 a month. Now I don't want those nasty call charges I was hit with last time. So are there going to be any if all my calls are in the UK and last less than 60 mins?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules