Sponsored Links

R-100 Scotland – Is the build underway ?

Whatzisface

Casual Member
All three R-100 contracts have been awarded.

Lot 1 - North Lot - which is my area, was awarded almost a year after Lots 2 and 3 – Central and South, and is currently going through the survey and design phase, which we expect to be finished by October.

Given that Central and South are a year ahead of where we are in the process, it would be interesting to know if the build is actually underway in those intervention areas, and if anyone has received the R-100 upgrade yet.

I believe some build on the LOT2/3 areas has begun, but the Scottish Government haven't been very good at communicating progress on the build phase.

Over in Wales they had the good sense to require quarterly updates on progress, so we do at least know how many premises have been completed and where.

Normally we'd be able to get progress updates via BDUK too, but so far they haven't reported anything for the R100 contract in Scotland. But that's largely because their last update only ran to June 2020 and we'd probably need data from Dec 2020 before we could see any actual movement.

I'll see if I can find anything out from our sources.

Sponsored Links
I believe some build on the LOT2/3 areas has begun, but the Scottish Government haven't been very good at communicating progress on the build phase.

Over in Wales they had the good sense to require quarterly updates on progress, so we do at least know how many premises have been completed and where.

Normally we'd be able to get progress updates via BDUK too, but so far they haven't reported anything for the R100 contract in Scotland. But that's largely because their last update only ran to June 2020 and we'd probably need data from Dec 2020 before we could see any actual movement.

I'll see if I can find anything out from our sources.
Thanks Mark. There seems to be a lack of any information on progress in all three lots.

Lessons were supposed to have been learned with the DSSB programme, and transparency and regular updates, to keep the public informed about progress in their intervention areas, were deemed to be essential for R-100.

That doesn’t seem to be happening at present.

All three R-100 contracts have been awarded.

Lot 1 - North Lot - which is my area, was awarded almost a year after Lots 2 and 3 – Central and South, and is currently going through the survey and design phase, which we expect to be finished by October.

Given that Central and South are a year ahead of where we are in the process, it would be interesting to know if the build is actually underway in those intervention areas, and if anyone has received the R-100 upgrade yet.
Hi Whatzisface, I am also in Lot 1 and getting information from Openreach / Digital Scotland is like getting blood from a stone. The one thing I find useful sometimes is to look at the Scottish Roadworks Commissioner website. Openreach quite often (but not always) add their fibre works to this website. Might be worth a look.

You won't get much info. on LOT 1 yet because BT (Openreach) were only recently confirmed as the winner (post legal challenge), which means they'll still be conducting pre-build engineering surveys. In the not too distant future we should get a better idea of the final rollout expectations for LOT 1, but it's currently too soon. By comparison LOT2/3 should be well beyond that stage.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My facebook timeline was being bombarded with Openreach info about the gigabit voucher scheme from the start of the year, asking our community to signup for the vouchers - we reached our target last week, and "engineering checks are underway" - so I would guess yes. No idea of a timeframe yet tho.

Edit: Aviemore (Highlands)

My facebook timeline was being bombarded with Openreach info about the gigabit voucher scheme from the start of the year, asking our community to signup for the vouchers - we reached our target last week, and "engineering checks are underway" - so I would guess yes. No idea of a timeframe yet tho.

Hi K8-bit, could you just clarify why Openreach were asking the community to sign up for the gigabit vouchers?

Is it for an Openreach Community Fibre Partnership, or is it related to the R100 upgrade and Aligned Intervention?

Hi Whatzisface, I am also in Lot 1 and getting information from Openreach / Digital Scotland is like getting blood from a stone. The one thing I find useful sometimes is to look at the Scottish Roadworks Commissioner website. Openreach quite often (but not always) add their fibre works to this website. Might be worth a look.
Hi stepham10, we are not really expecting to hear anything much about the plans for Lot 1 until the survey and design phase is complete.

However, the percentages of FTTP, and premises to be covered, in Lots 2 & 3 were published months ago, so I was hoping that, by now, in those areas, people would be seeing some evidence, on the ground, that the build was actually underway.

Sponsored Links
I get

Sorry, currently your postcode is not associated with any voucher related broadband schemes

So looks like Lot3 area's are excluded.

By going to https://www.scotlandsuperfast.com , where R100 is run from, I can get a £400 voucher to tide me over until 2022 (or maybe later going by past under performance )

Quite surprised today. Morrison Telecom Services came to assess what would be required to connect us up. So some signs of thinking of starting the work, so a little bit of movement in Lot 3

Aviemore is an Openreach fibre first exchange i.e. commercial FTTP. I assume the on-demand part will be for the "non-commercial" properties on the exchange where OR will use the various voucher schemes to complete the build.

I'm sure Rapier are also canvassing for interest in their full fibre plans for the area.

Interestingly, a mile or so from me there is work to clear a duct

"Maintenance Excavation on the F/W to Clear Blockages on the BT Duct from F/W Chamber to End Customer to provide new fibre service"

It's interesting because I believe everybody round here either had G.Fast or Virgin Media. I'm wondering if this is a precursor to BT beginning to blow fibre to the premises? It's listed as Openreach work.

Just found a second in the small town where I live outside Glasgow
"Maintenance Excavation on the F/W to Install a New BT Duct from F/W Chamber to End Customer to provide new fibre service"

Sponsored Links
....yay? Interestingly the FTTP rollout map shows my area in the "work starting within 3 months" category.

"Hi Kate,

It appears that we met the pledge target on February 15th, at this point all the vouchers were requested and we handed the project over to our delivery teams. From this point, we aim to deliver the network within 10-12 months but will always aim for an early completion where possible.

Kind regards,

Community Fibre Team"

Lot 3, had the surveyor drop in on Friday, agreed a route following the same one as the old 400m cable put in for ISDN but with a different entry to the property and a guarantee it will be 0.5m below the surface not 50mm after showing him the old cable next to a ditch. Told him of the 2 land owners he needs wayleaves from as well. He said he would put a box next to the property curtilage and then the installer would take care of the rest, as that is still some 40M to the house over what will be a newly laid gravel courtyard I may lay some ducting with a pull rope before I lay the gravel with Geocell over the top.

Superfast Scotland shows the due date is first half 2022, new cabinet due Aug 2021 according to codelook site.

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules