Sponsored Links

Recommendations For 4G Hub

matseffect

Pro Member
Hi guys,

I recently siwtched to an unlimited EE sim for my 4G broadband and getting around the same speeds as my 3 sim 20-30Mb but much better ping and gone are the issues of web pages hanging etc etc. I have been using an TP-Link AC750 4G MR200 for about 2 years and its worked well but wondering are their better options out their or what you guys recommend? Say at the most I wanted to spend £150 and would be happy to have an external Antenna stuck in the window or something as well.

Note: The sim is 5G ready but not gona have 5G in my area any time soon 🤣

Thanks! :)

Matt

Matt,

What are the current values for rsrp, rsrq and sinr un your router?

Sponsored Links
I actually upgraded to the beta firmware for the MR200 that now allows band selection. I have done a little research into this but any advise on the best way about finding the best band will it help much? Thanks.

Well, check attached for EE bands, you can try them one by one, but with EE band aggregation usually works well and makes the difference if router supports it.

Are you rural or urban btw? Do you have any idea where the EE mast is? Judging by the radio signal values you should benefit from an external antenna, but make sure you have exhausted all the options before spending money.

Screenshot_20201017-131639_1_1.png

Thanks. Fairly rural looking into where my closest EE mast is to make sure I have it positioned as well as I can.

Sponsored Links
Well, check attached for EE bands, you can try them one by one, but with EE band aggregation usually works well and makes the difference if router supports it.

Are you rural or urban btw? Do you have any idea where the EE mast is? Judging by the radio signal values you should benefit from an external antenna, but make sure you have exhausted all the options before spending money.

View attachment 523

Thats good to know. I'm currently on three waiting for an EE sim to try out. Interestingly EE shares the same mast, so I wonder if they have to use different frequencies to three? And how come bands 7 and 38 share the same frequency?

7 a
Thats good to know. I'm currently on three waiting for an EE sim to try out. Interestingly EE shares the same mast, so I wonder if they have to use different frequencies to three? And how come bands 7 and 38 share the same frequency?
7 and 38 share different parts of the 2600MHz frequency. 38 I believe is much lower. Perhaps for urban areas. I’m not exactly sure.

Sponsored Links
Yes indeed, they are all allocated a slice (few MHz) in the bands. Check this article explaining 5G alocations, it's the same with lte:

7 a

7 and 38 share different parts of the 2600MHz frequency. 38 I believe is much lower. Perhaps for urban areas. I’m not exactly sure.
B38 is TDD (Time Division Duplex) whereas B7 is FDD (Frequency Division Duplex)

So different carriers on one mast can effectively use the same bands, but they use different frequencies?
Absolutely, that's why the Ofcom auctions are for a 'band' and depending how much of the band (the Mhz slice width) a company bids for is what they might get.
Peter's visual representation of this is useful here
Take the 800Mhz B20 band for example, Three own the lowest 5Mhz, then EE 5Mhz and Vodafone then O2 with 10Mhz each.
In theory Three's B20 frequency allocation lower in the band should travel (slightly) further than O2's, but in practice the 20Mhz difference between 791Mhz and 811Mhz of the start of their allocations is unlikely to make any difference.

Hi, one of our suppliers has just started stocking Robustel SIM routers, seem like a good Linux based router with lots of options on the web interface.

I believe the Linux based firmware they use is called "Robust OS"

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules