Sponsored

Reliable alternative to AOL

I currently use AOL.......unlimited useage for 22 hours a day......£9.99 per month.
Price is going up to £13.99 per month. Dont want to pay this much!!!!
I could probably get broadband for this cost, but converting to broadband will negate the advantage of being a low-user BT customer, as I will lose my discount, [current BT bills about £25 a quarter after discount, INCLUDING line rental].
Considered changing to Fast4net....unlimited......£6.99 per month, but have read so many negative reviews, am wary of changing to them.
Would prefer unlimited usage on a monthly contract.
Has anyone got any suggestions of where I go from here?

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Please excuse the late reply, I was a little run off my feet with work yesterday and news posts :) .

Based on your requirements I can tell you now that you won't find another ISP capable of offering true unlimited unmetered dialup for 22 hours each day (660 per month) at that price point. Fast4 certainly make the claim but we don't know what's going on with them right now, there's been no new communication from them in roughly one year and some customers are complaining about support problems. Since they merged into Breathe it's all gone a bit quiet. Might be worth a risk but that's up to you.

Otherwise you should probably pay the extra AOL UK asks or try another ISP like Vispa Internet, which offers better quality but does cost more: http://www.vispa.com .

However if you don't download a lot and just want the always-on style connection then might I suggest PAYG Mobile Broadband as an alternative. Vodafone is more costly but if you don't use the data up in any given month then it rolls over to the next indefinitely. Downside is that MSN won’t work. The irony of all this is that you may end up being better off with land-line broadband :) .

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
I could probably get broadband for this cost, but converting to broadband will negate the advantage of being a low-user BT customer, as I will lose my discount, [current BT bills about £25 a quarter after discount, INCLUDING line rental].
If you mean the BT Light user scheme discount, then it has been scrapped by BT anyway, and I was under the impression that its replacement, BT Basic, allowed broadband on the line.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?t=28159&highlight=light+user

As for farce4 - I would be VERY surprised if you were actually able to use their dial-up service 22 hours a day. When I had the misfortune of being a customer (admittedly several years ago), it could sometimes take hours of redialing to get a connection - I suspect that their system was set-up to reject log-ins weighted on previous usage.

Last edited:
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*34.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £60 Cashback
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2488)
  2. FTTP (2145)
  3. FTTC (1645)
  4. Building Digital UK (1590)
  5. Openreach (1402)
  6. Politics (1399)
  7. Business (1224)
  8. Statistics (1089)
  9. FTTH (1047)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1023)
  11. Fibre Optic (964)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (908)
  13. Wireless Internet (894)
  14. 4G (885)
  15. Virgin Media (850)
  16. Sky Broadband (592)
  17. EE (582)
  18. TalkTalk (572)
  19. Vodafone (506)
  20. Security (409)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules