Sponsored Links

Remote access to a router with three data sim

nickt

Casual Member
I would like to get a three data sim for a router but would like to be able to access the router / internal network via the sim internet connection. I dont believe you can get a static ip address on a data sim connection but i know that you cant access any ports on the router externally by default and hence I wondered if Three could move you to a dmz or remove the incoming restriction somehow?

You can quite easily, using a certain apn three give you a dynamic but non cgnat public up.
Just need dynamic dns to update a dns record somewhere and away you go. Personally it’s easier and much more flexible to use the three supplied gear as bridge and use a third party router behind it. Or put the third party device in dmz from the three router

Thanks - I didnt go for "mobile broadband" but a mikrotik router with a data only sim. Do you need to ask for the different apn login details or are they publically available and I just need to adjust them? Its so frustrating that every member of three you speak to gives you a different answer

Sponsored Links
Google 3internet apn and enter the apn details,

mine are

Name 3internet
APN three.co.uk
Username: blank
Password: blank

into the Mikrotik, name it differently to your current apn so you can swap back if your download speed suffers or other Three capacity issues.

Google 3internet apn and enter the apn details,

mine are

Name 3internet
APN three.co.uk
Username: blank
Password: blank

into the Mikrotik, name it differently to your current apn so you can swap back if your download speed suffers or other Three capacity issues.
Then you're not using the 3internet APN... you're using the three.co.uk one! The APN field (not the Name field) is the value that is used for the APN connection - unless your router somehow has them backwards?!

Then you're not using the 3internet APN... you're using the three.co.uk one! The APN field (not the Name field) is the value that is used for the APN connection - unless your router somehow has them backwards?!
Its my phone apn and are the settings from first loading the 3 sim not entered manually, they are greyed out and cannot be edited. So if they are wrong then Three sent them and yet it works and the phone has a static IP address.

Sponsored Links
Its my phone apn and are the settings from first loading the 3 sim not entered manually, they are greyed out and cannot be edited. So if they are wrong then Three sent them and yet it works and the phone has a static IP address.
It will have an ip address as does my router but if you try to connect back to a service running on it - ftp server, vpn server etc (appreciate you wouldnt do this on a phone) then you cant get to any of the ports ie its natted. What I ideally want is to remote the nat so its visiible which the change of apn is suggested to achieve this.

My three sim came with two selectable configs, 3 and 3 Mobile Broadband; 3MBB one being 3internet.

Make a new APN with these settings:

Name: 3Mobile Broadband
APN: 3internet
Username: (n/a)
Password: (n/a)

Very strange - will drop my SIM in my phone tomorrow and see what shows up

@kommando828 My home broadband SIM put into a phone shows these 2 APNs.
By default it selects the '3' (three.co.uk) APN, with the 3internet one available too.

Screenshot_20210610-135415.png

When performing a speedtest through the speedtest app for each of these APNs, for the three.co.uk one the 'internal IP' is reported as a private IP range (10.10.x.x range) and is different to the 'external IP', indicating CGNAT. Whereas with the 3internet APN the 'internal IP' is reported as a public IP and matches the reported 'external IP' (94.196.x.x range), indicating no CGNAT

16233305240720.jpg

Sponsored Links
Screenshot_20210610-142123_Speedtest.jpg

3internet Gavin

Screenshot_20210610-145214_Speedtest.jpg

With three.co.uk

Sponsored Links
Indeedy, seems to be. :giggle:

Everyone else is so I may indulge in a little bit of IP sharing. As always, using the 3internet APN. :)
IMG_20210611_204106.jpg

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules