Sponsored Links

roadworks.org - Fibre (potentially FTTP rollout)

Looks a bit like a weather shielded fibre aggregation node (albeit one that's not yet fully connected), which are normally found underground but they can be installed on poles. Mind you it's not the same design as I've seen before so it could also be a new manifold.

Got a picture of the inside of the shotgun style cable. Sadly it's not one side fibre, one side copper; instead one side seems to be tension wire, the other is just a normal dside load of pairs. https://www.flickr.com/photos/46141405@N07/16001821406/

chinese version supplier link: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Figure-8-Aerial-Telephone-Cable_713054398.html

This went up a telegraph pole and went off to the distance. So not sure where this is supposed to be connected as it's in the middle of nowhere!

So based on this, they seem to be just replacing the crusty dside cables to try and make FTTC work, as I've seen these springing up EVERYWEHRE around here.

Last edited:
And there's supposed to have been heavy roadworks for BT to lay fibre for "new customer conenctions" here for about the past two weeks and for the next few weeks, yet there's been absolutely nothing. Sadly, it looks like this deployment will also miss me by a matter of meters...and will cover those already with speeds in excess of 60mbps...Unless they mean to run it into the duct which then goes to my copper DP...

It's clearly needed in the areas if SCC is going to hit its target as there are properties with clean high FTTC download speeds in the 3mbps regions and ADSL in the 3s.

Alfold Business park can now order FTTP. Also parts of Loxwood road. In fact most of Alfold seems WBC FTTP ONLY (aswell as ADSL) Gonna see if I can get down there to see their deployment.

EDIT: Yep, every address tested is FTTP Only. Probs due to all properties being served by Loxwood and its cabinet, which are at least 3km away!

Only Alfold residents on the Loxwood exchange get the FTTP. Those in Loxwood itself are limited to ADSL Max as they fall into West Sussex rather than Surrey! It's literally: Surrey half=FTTP, West Sussex=ADSLmax

Edit 2: Superfast-openreach is kinda misleading when it says the cabinet is live, because it ain't the cabinet that's providing it!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Edit 2: Superfast-openreach is kinda misleading when it says the cabinet is live, because it ain't the cabinet that's providing it!

Yes a lot of people are quite frustrated by that aspect, the results on their site are much more misleading than even BTWholesale's broadband checker.

BT were up to something with the pole in Upper Froyle - the one on the left as you drive past what used to be the old school, I think, just before the church and in front of the cemetery. Don't know what though, could just be swapping some D-sides around. Upper Froyle (cab 4) was not in any BDUK plans.

arobertson676-looking at roadworks info, looks like there are some "fibre cabling works...new customer connection" in Hampshire (Bordon and East Worldham) which is what it said for the manifold work here.

Sponsored Links
Aside from there being a cone under the DP next to the manhole covers, nothing has happened over the supposed last two weeks of road closures. The roadworks permit ends on the 24/12/2014 and I can imagine it takes quite a lot of time to get a permit to close off the road. Based on that, I can't see the upgrade happening anytime soon.#

The only other option is to try and get my address added to Openreach's database for the other manifolds. As my copper pair does not go to one of the manifold copper DPs, I can't see this happening either...

This is what SUperfast Surrey have said to me:

Dear Peter

Thank you for your email.

As you know, Superfast Surrey is one of the County's largest infrastructure projects and supports Surrey's ambition to become the most connected county in the UK. As we move towards the completion of our main deployment, Superfast Surrey has already delivered fibre broadband coverage to more than 77,000 homes and businesses across the County.

In order to maximise the number of residents who could benefit from our rollout, the programme has extended the existing Openreach network which primarily uses Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) technology.

Whilst the technology being deployed is extending the fibre network coverage right across Surrey, the speeds achieved are subject to the line length from the cabinet to the home. This is the same situation that is found in the Openreach commercial deployment.

Our aim has always been to push the fibre-based broadband network out as far as possible into the county so that as the technology evolves, our residents and businesses can take advantage of the new products and services as they become available from broadband providers.

With regards to the current Superfast Surrey deployment, it was always recognised that there would be some premises in our fibre broadband rollout that would not be able to access a fibre service even though the cabinet had been upgraded. The balancing of cost and coverage is acknowledged in the contract speed target that requires that 93.9% of premises in the Superfast Surrey Intervention Area (IA) will have download speeds of 15mbps or above.

Building on this we have continued to work closely with our network provider Openreach, to evaluate the delivery of the Superfast Surrey deployment.

At our request, Openreach is finalising a review of the 5,000 premises within the Superfast Surrey Intervention Area that will be unable to achieve 15Mbps or more at the conclusion of the deployment. This work has focussed on identifying groups of premises that could benefit from the installation of additional infrastructure to lift them above the 15 Mbps threshold but has also considered opportunities to rearrange the network and connect properties to a closer cabinet.

Surrey County Council is not currently in receipt of this review but it is clear that before any further decisions can be made on what, if any, steps can be considered with regards to the outcome of this review, we must complete the delivery of the original contract. This is expected to be by the end of March 2015, at which point it is anticipated that we will have identified options for using any remaining funds and an agreement on the future scope of the programme.

We will continue to provide further updates on the Superfast Surrey project via our newsletters, website and social channels as this work progresses.

Kind regards

Someone near here ordered FTTP from the first manifold. Noticeable as they look to have two phone lines entering, but one comes from the manifold. Sadly, I still cannot

Last edited:
So either the electricity company refused for a practical reason or perhaps it became cheaper for BT to build their own pole than to use the electricity one.

I can understand why an elec company, or even BT itself, might not want conductive metal wires running near a power line but fibre optic.. hmm.

It adds complications to repairs and maintenance... A business customer of mine had someone crash their car into a shared utility pole, taking out all their phone lines and broadband, and it took BT well over a month to repair all the lines connected to it due to needing co-op from the electricity company.

In the end I put in a temporary cat5 from the broken wire on the floor by the pole and ran it up to their building. That got BT moving ;)

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Latest reply from Superfast Surrey

Dear Peter

Thank you for your email.

Surrey County Council has now finished the main phase of its Superfast Surrey Broadband programme to bring fibre broadband to those areas in the county not included in commercial roll outs.

As advised in December 2014, it was decided that before any further decisions could be made with regards to the outcome of slow speeds review, the Superfast Surrey team had to focus on the completion of the main phase of the contract and identify options for using any remaining funds to enable a decision to be made on the future scope of the programme.

Options were subsequently developed that not only acknowledged Openreach’s analysis of premises with slow speeds in the Superfast Surrey deployment area but also took into account feedback from residents and businesses in the commercial rollout area that were not covered by the fibre network or who were on slow speeds.

SCC has now taken the decision to embark on an Open Market Review (OMR). This is the only way to establish a clear understanding of the latest position regarding existing and planned fibre coverage throughout the county. The review will identify all premises throughout Surrey without a fibre broadband connection or those covered by the fibre network but unable to access a fibre service.
Surrey County Council will be seeking State Aid Approval for plans to further extend broadband coverage across the County within the constraints of available funding following a process laid down by Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK). The first stage is to request current and future broadband coverage information from existing infrastructure providers in an Open Market Review (OMR). Once the broadband coverage and speed responses are analysed, a map will be produced and uploaded to the Superfast Surrey website as part of the public consultation process. This stage, which is likely to be during Autumn 2015, will be the opportunity for residents, businesses as well as any other infrastructure providers to contact the Superfast Surrey team by email to provide additional information that may further inform the understanding of broadband coverage across the County.
Following the public consultation phase, the Superfast Surrey team will then agree with BT Group, as part of the existing contract and within the constraints of available funding, how to target those areas identified as not having current or proposed broadband coverage or access to download speeds of 15 Mbps or above . The proposed deployment must be signed off by Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) as being compliant with State Aid Funding regulations before any deployment can commence.
The OMR will take some time and whether or not residents who are currently unable to access a fibre service will benefit from any subsequent deployment will not be known until the above process is completed.

If residents or businesses are not keen to wait for the outcome of the OMR, options could be to look at satellite services or for businesses to consider a Fibre on Demand Service. The third option may be for communities to contact Openreach and collectively fund a community initiative. There is already an established process in place via the Openreach website for enquiries from residents who are interested in investigating options for self-funded initiatives. It is not possible to obtain a quotation or speak to an Openreach representative without following this process due to the significant amount of administration and number of different variables that need to be considered. This form (http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/faq/contact-us-form.aspx) would need to be completed with the community representative's details. The Details of Enquiry box should include a description of how many residents would be interested in helping fund the initiative and installation etc and needs to include a list of all the names and landline phone numbers of those interested in funding the initiative. It is very important that details regarding all interested parties are included on the form. Once the form has been submitted, Openreach would be in touch to discuss this in more detail.

Satellite hmmm. Fibre on Demand is not available from all the cabinets here. Regardless, it doesn't look like anything will be happening to improve my service any time soon

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules