Sponsored

Roaming issues with Plusnet/EE in Slovenia

McDragon

Casual Member
I have experienced a few unexpected mobile coverage issues while on holiday in Slovenia.
I have been to Slovenia before, same phone (OPO 5), same carrier Plusnet. This time can't get 4G. Manual selection of operator, restart the phone, airplane more on and off. Nothing. Plusnet support useless. I know roaming contracts exist but Plusnet denies they do. I guess it might be down to EE but they aren't helping. Managed to talk to the main mobile operator in Slovenia and turns out 4G has been omitted from roaming contracts by a few operators except Vodafone and Hutchinson. Is this a common thing now?
Are we having a pre-brexit cull of roaming services?
Does anyone else have problems with 4G/LTE coverage while abroad?

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
This is a tricky one and plenty of tests suggest that when roaming outside the UK you're far more likely to connect via 3G than 4G (I assume this is your experience too), or is your mobile not getting any data connectivity at all?

The EU's related regulations require that "the same tariff conditions apply for the use of mobile services while roaming abroad in the Union and at home" (here), although not all operators have been keeping to the spirit of this and it doesn't specifically force 4G as a requirement.

The reasons are usually very varied. It could stem from a technical limitation / configuration problem or an issue with EE/Plusnet's roaming agreement with operators in Slovenia. In any case UK operators have very little power to force their EU roaming partners to give you 4G, so there's probably not a lot you can do about that. In many ways its more a complaint against a foreign network and not something that can easily be tackled UK side.

I personally just accept that I'll usually be stuck on 3G and learn to live with it. In any case even 3G is often better than hotel WiFi. If it's any consolation, EU visitors to the UK often get much worse performance too..

McDragon

Casual Member
I had a good chat with a person at Telekom Slovenia who was able to look at the roaming agreement with their company and UK mobile operators. She specifically mentioned that EE doesn't have 4G in the contract but AFAIK it was down to EE. They said that Vodafone and Hutchinson (Three) do have 4G in their contracts.
Its all a bit of voodoo science when it comes to these roaming agreements and little or nor transparency. I wish we as consumers could be better informed as to what to expect.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: HYPER19
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • Vodafone £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2463)
  2. FTTP (2091)
  3. FTTC (1630)
  4. Building Digital UK (1574)
  5. Politics (1380)
  6. Openreach (1376)
  7. Business (1206)
  8. Statistics (1077)
  9. FTTH (1014)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1004)
  11. Fibre Optic (957)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (902)
  13. Wireless Internet (884)
  14. 4G (873)
  15. Virgin Media (842)
  16. Sky Broadband (585)
  17. EE (575)
  18. TalkTalk (563)
  19. Vodafone (497)
  20. Security (402)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules