Sponsored Links

Router and external antenna

GeneralZod

Casual Member
Over the years of working from a motorhome I've used pretty much every device you could think of including some satellite internet and the most reliable of all has been simple 3g/4g mobile broadband.
But I find increasingly it's more difficult to get a decent signal as it once was.
I'm still running a Huawei B310 which is totally reliable, and recently bought a Teltonika RUTX11 with the dome type antenna enclosure. Sadly the dome was faulty but the router proved to be no better than my B310 even when hoisted 12 meters in the air.
So I'd like to ask what routers and outdoor antenna do you all run to get a better signal? I'm sure Poynting will make an appearance, I've tried 2 so far and they did nothing at all but I am happy to hear of anyone who is having success.
Tonight I'm getting 12Mbps dl but usually it's between .5 and 3 Mbps. I'm not sure why it's better tonight.

even when hoisted 12 meters in the air.
Just to confirm. Is this what you’re trying to do with the antenna too? Because the longer the cable to the antenna the less benefit you’re going to get. 12M would be really pushing it and is at the point where you could actually get worse signal than no antenna at all.

If you want an external antenna and want to use a cable more than even half of this length I would suggest going for an outdoor router instead.

I’m personally using the Askey RTL6300 outdoor router and RTL5010W indoor router combo from EE (unlocked) which has about 15M of flat ethernet cable to connect the two together. That will allow you to position it in the best place without worrying about cable length and in my experience it’s very good at holding on to weak signals.

The network performance is mainly affected by the network provider and the capacity of the nearby masts. Also, the LTE categories only indicate the theoretical capability of your device but do not mean that you achieve that throughput. It is a bucket effect. You should check the coverage on CellMapper and do split testing to find the bottleneck of your network.

If you are connected to Band 20 or Band 8, it is reasonable to get a 10~20 Mbps DL on 4G, even if you using RUTX11.

Sponsored Links
Just to confirm. Is this what you’re trying to do with the antenna too? Because the longer the cable to the antenna the less benefit you’re going to get. 12M would be really pushing it and is at the point where you could actually get worse signal than no antenna at all.

If you want an external antenna and want to use a cable more than even half of this length I would suggest going for an outdoor router instead.

I’m personally using the Askey RTL6300 outdoor router and RTL5010W indoor router combo from EE (unlocked) which has about 15M of flat ethernet cable to connect the two together. That will allow you to position it in the best place without worrying about cable length and in my experience it’s very good at holding on to weak signals.
Sorry I probably worded that badly. The RUT was hoisted in the air with a power cable. As were other routers, including my trusty old B310. The antenna housing for the RUT was faulty so I could not test that. But all routers worked pretty much the same even when up a height.

So you're using 2 routers?

The network performance is mainly affected by the network provider and the capacity of the nearby masts. Also, the LTE categories only indicate the theoretical capability of your device but do not mean that you achieve that throughput. It is a bucket effect. You should check the coverage on CellMapper and do split testing to find the bottleneck of your network.

If you are connected to Band 20 or Band 8, it is reasonable to get a 10~20 Mbps DL on 4G, even if you using RUTX11.
Split testing?
I have no idea what band I am connecting on, how would I find out?

So you're using 2 routers?
They work together as one. One is basically the outdoor modem and the other is the indoor access point. The RTL6300 Has the SIM Card inside and sits outside mounted high up to get the best 5G signal it can, and runs by a long flat ethernet cable to the indoor unit which is the RT5010W which covers the WiFi and ethernet connections.

Because they are designed to work together there's no conflicting issues or anything you might normally get from 2 devices together, and you manage the configuration of both devices through the one menu on the indoor unit. Nice and simple for the end user.

I find that it gives a better performance than an external antenna, and as mentioned in the original post it also allows for much longer cable lengths to get the best positioning possible.

Split testing?
I have no idea what band I am connecting on, how would I find out?
I mean A/B testing.
Typically, on the web page of the router, it will show the connected band.

Sponsored Links
Over the years of working from a motorhome I've used pretty much every device you could think of including some satellite internet and the most reliable of all has been simple 3g/4g mobile broadband.
But I find increasingly it's more difficult to get a decent signal as it once was.
I'm still running a Huawei B310 which is totally reliable, and recently bought a Teltonika RUTX11 with the dome type antenna enclosure. Sadly the dome was faulty but the router proved to be no better than my B310 even when hoisted 12 meters in the air.
So I'd like to ask what routers and outdoor antenna do you all run to get a better signal? I'm sure Poynting will make an appearance, I've tried 2 so far and they did nothing at all but I am happy to hear of anyone who is having success.
Tonight I'm getting 12Mbps dl but usually it's between .5 and 3 Mbps. I'm not sure why it's better tonight.
Can any 4G LTE or other signal parameters be shown?

Sponsored Links
All that info is beyond my understanding
I think RSSI is usually what is shown as "signal bars" in mobile and routers.

To optimize, I would first use the router with internal antennas (disconnected external antenna) and locate the best position based on looking at RSSI and SINR (if SINR shows, SINR intended to indicate the signal to noise and interference ratio, related to RSRQ). This step can be skipped if it's known the internal antennas will be useless and don't need comparing to the external antenna.

Then I would do the same to optimize external antenna positioning and orientation.

https://cellmapper.net can give you an indication of which direction the nearest mast is for your service provider.

I was just after a combo of router and antenna that worked. I don't really understand all this stuff you guys are coming out with. I appreciate the help but I have no clue of the science and the sinr and rsrq etc. I'll just keep trying different antennas.

It's a bit like a TV tuner and a TV antenna (indoors versus outdoors).

Any reasonable brands are fine.

Performance depends on TV antenna position and orientation (e.g. direction pointed).

Simply swapping to different brands of TV tuner and TV antenna, all else being equal, won't help; the same for 4G LTE and 5G NR mobile routers and antennas.

Personally, I like both the Teltonika and Poynting brands very much although others don't like these brands so well.

The pinned topic is still very applicable: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/choosing-an-external-mobile-antenna.37464/

Since your not into all the details I'd reccommend you go for a omidirectional antenna since it doesn't need fine tuned aiming, all you need to know is which side of the house gives you the best signal and place it there since a omidirectional antenna picks signal up all around it like your phone does,
It'd be best not to waste money on the cheapest chinese brand you can find,
dB gain listed on those are completely fake,
And an omidirectional antenna does have low gain (meaning how strong they are)
The brands listed before are trusted,
another couple of trusted brands you could look at are Iskra and Panarama Antennas.

I went with a Sercomm LTE2122GR Three 4Gplus hub originally with a Panarama panel directional antenna, I got the router modded by routermods uk to expose all 4 internal antennas with sma connectors then got 2 higher gain lpda antennas
Once I was able softmod the router thanks to a member on the forum figuring out how to expose the hidden settings on the router I was able to change the APN to EE and test a EE sim in my area I switched to EE
After switching to EE I started to get kicked between different band 3's in my area
So I picked up a Mikrotik RBM33G board and bought another Sercomm LTE2122GR router off ebay to pinch the modem from it for the Mikrotik
The reason switched to the Mikrotik was for band and cell locking features.

I did share a post in the testing EE section sometime late August or late September after switching to EE where I tested the 2 Iskra's by themselves and the Panarama Antenna's Panel atenna comparing the difference. The Iskra's were better
The Iskra's offer a 10-11dB gain at 1800MHz while the Panarama panel is averaged at 9dB but ranges 6-9dB across the bands it covers

I'm very lucky in my area to have a band and tower that can offer me around 80-90Mbps down on average and peaks at 200Mbps in rare moments.
I also live in a area that has no coverage at all from all 4 providers on the phone inside and out, I am also on the edge of coverage, you have to walk 5-10minutes in ether direction of my house in the country then you'll start get signal from all 4 providers.

That should give you a idea of how good the antenna's our, The router will list 1bar of signal but the connection is useable, ping for gaming is ok, but could be better.
Iskra
RSSI -73 dBm (yellow listed as good)
RSRP -103 dBm (red listed as poor)
RSRQ -5.5 dB to -7.5 dB this jumps back and forth all the time which is normal (green all the time mikrotik doesn't give it a rating but that's great)

Untitled.jpg

Test with the Panarama Antenna's Panel Antenna
Panarama.jpg

The RSSI and RSRP have both dropped
If I hover over the RSSI the orange colour now comes up saying fair
The RSRQ now jumps around from -6.5dB to -9.5dB staying in the green colour meaning great.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Had to create a new post since I can only include 2 images per post

I decided to go ahead and include the speed tests as well, speed jumps around alot on mobile internet but the Iskra's do greatly improve the upload speed vs Panaramas panel antenna.
The download at the moment is much lower than it normally is but i'm pretty sure i'm deprioritised at the moment since I'm over EE's 600GB fair use this month
Time of day also matters, but I know that other times of the month at this time of day I can be hitting 100-150Mbps, but since I've went over 600GB this month so far these download speeds seem normal.

I'll include in the next post the avg from meter.net for the past few months
which will show how download speed can jump wildly.

Panorama
Panarama speed test.jpg

Iskra
Iskra speed test.jpg

Last edited:
Iskra avg.jpg

Iskra avg2.jpg

The green line is download the red line is upload and the blue line is ping. Highlighted text is the avg of all tests done on that day. The gaps in the graph are the days I didn't run a test.

Hopefully you can find this information useful.

I have just done the same thing and added the modem to an LHGG. I haven’t had a chance to test it yet. I intend to stick in on a pole with a similarly modded SXT and test them back to back.View attachment 9572

Awesome, I think you have the same red converter board I had to get from Amazon
I wasn't expecting to have to use the simcard slots on the converter board, but I did lol
Let me know how it performs for you :)

Last edited:
Since your not into all the details I'd reccommend you go for a omidirectional antenna since it doesn't need fine tuned aiming, all you need to know is which side of the house\motorhome gives you the best signal and place it there

My first Router and Antenna was Sercomm LTE2122GR with Panorama Panel Antenna (Directional)
My second and current setup is the Mikrotik RBM33G router with 2 Iskra LPDA Directional Antennas and the Panorama Antenna mentioned before

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £15.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £21.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5411)
  2. BT (3492)
  3. Politics (2500)
  4. Openreach (2279)
  5. Business (2227)
  6. Building Digital UK (2218)
  7. FTTC (2039)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1945)
  9. Statistics (1767)
  10. 4G (1642)
  11. Virgin Media (1596)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1440)
  13. Wireless Internet (1380)
  14. Fibre Optic (1380)
  15. FTTH (1379)
  16. 5G (1219)
  17. Vodafone (1128)
  18. EE (1113)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (919)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules