Up DValue : 1 Down DValue : 1

UpIntrlvd UpFast DownIntrlvd DownFast
AS0(kbps): - - 0 2272
AS1(kbps): - - 0 0
LS0(kbps): 0 288 - -
LS1(kbps): 0 0 - -
RValue : 0 0 0 0
$

Was going to compare them to earlier ones I posted on ADSL Guide, but they have now pulled that forum :-(

TIA

[edit] - forgot the reason -doh!

My connection to Ez keeps dropping out.

Last edited:

TRIaXOR™

ULTIMATE Member
you are synced at 2272 Down 288 Up (2Mbit ADSL) with a Signal to Noise Ratio of 9.5dB, your Attenuation is 47dB (Line length must be about 2.5KM+) and your power for transmit (Tx) is 11.55dBm (very low compared to my 23dBm but I'm on LLU)

You may want to try and up your SNR a bit to 12dB (if your router allows it) but it may drop your sync but should stablise your line a bit.

hope that helps :)

hk11

Casual Member
You may want to try and up your SNR a bit to 12dB (if your router allows it) but it may drop your sync but should stablise your line a bit.
Thanks.

Now to Google for adjusting my SNR or maybe the Netgear forums?

Just dropped out again while replying to this, but I've not had these problems before, at least not for the length of time; i.e. maybe once or twice a week, but not once every few hours. :-(

Can the SNR be altered at the exchange or could it be a bad-joint on the BT network?

hk11

Casual Member
Just taken another reading :-

$get dslparams

Vendor ID : 00B5GSPN
Revision Number : T93.3.23
Serial number : abcd
Self Test : Passed Framing Structure : Framing-3
Standard : G.dmt Trellis Coding : Enable
Local Tx. Power(dB) : 11.55 Remote Tx.Power(dB) : 16.86
Local Line Atten(dB) : 44.5 Remote Line Atten(dB) : 25.0
Local SNR Margin(dB) : 4.5 Remote SNR Margin(dB) : 24.0
Up SValue : 1 Down SValue : 1

$

Local SNR Margin(dB) : 4.5 - seems quite a fluctuation to me; is this relevant?

TRIaXOR™

ULTIMATE Member
4.5dB is the reason why you dropped connection I'd up it considerably, google on how to do it on your Netgear DM602 or even try ADSLGuide's forums

hope that helps

hk11

Casual Member
Asked in the Netgear forum: apparently it's not possible :-(

BTW - 4.5 was when connected; 9.5 was when it dropped out ???

Back to 10 now and seems stable :-

$get dslparams

Local SNR Margin(dB) : 10.0 Remote SNR Margin(dB) : 24.0

$

Last edited:

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Higher SNR is better, unless the router is miss-reporting.

However I notice from your first set of figures that the DS Attenuation was slightly higher when you were having a problem.

Local Line Atten(dB) : 47.0 Remote Line Atten(dB) : 25.0

My lines attenuation never varries by more than 1 using the same router except on the several occassions when there was a line fault such as a bad joint.

If you've got any slave phone sockets connected to your master socket, try disconnecting the ring wire from the removable lower panel on the master socket to see if the SNR improves - See http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2005/08/adsl-tweaking.html

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
Fixed rate 2 meg product (provided out of recommended limits) not MaxDSL so you get the SNR margin the sync rate gives you, router on a slave socket roughly 20 metres of cabling away from the master or a old wiring set up with a junction box.

hk11

Casual Member
If you've got any slave phone sockets connected to your master socket, try disconnecting the ring wire from the removable lower panel on the master socket to see if the SNR improves - See http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2005/08/adsl-tweaking.html
Cheers for that, but everything seems to be fine again now???

$get dslparams

Local SNR Margin(dB) : 12.5 Remote SNR Margin(dB) : 24.0

$

hk11

Casual Member
Fixed rate 2 meg product (provided out of recommended limits) not MaxDSL so you get the SNR margin the sync rate gives you,
Been OK ( last 18 months) up till now, so ......

router on a slave socket roughly 20 metres of cabling away from the master or a old wiring set up with a junction box.
Setup is as follows :-

Filter at master socket feeds wire (25 foot?) to second socket (no filter), which feeds (20 foot?) third socket with filter to router.

One phone at master socket off filter.
One phone at second socket (fed seperate wire from filter on master).
One phone at third socket off filter.

Last edited:

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
The problem is with the internal cabling im 100% sure and with it being 45 foot long and double filtered.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Cheers for that, but everything seems to be fine again now???

The higher the SNR margin the more reliable your connection will be and if you ever get adslmax, you'll get a higher sync rate.

I disconnected the ring wire from my master socket a year or two ago because I found I got about an 8dB higher SNR Margin and far,far fewer CRC errors by plugging the router in the test socket so that all my extensions were disconnected. Since disconnecting the ring wire, I get identical results using the exisiting extensions. The higher SNR also ment my ADSL was mostly useable even when I had a bad fault on the line.

Prior to disconnecting the ring wire I sometimes got 100's of crc errors a day, now I often get 0 errors, but 4 every 24 hours is about average.

last 24 hours:-
[Upstream (TX) Fast path]
CRC: 1 FEC: 0 NCD: 0
LCD: 0 HEC: 0

[Downstream (RX) Fast path]
CRC: 4 FEC: 0 NCD: 0
LCD: 0 HEC: 0

Admittedly I've got about 5 slaves connected around my house a fair bit more cable too and the router in right on the far end of it.

hk11

Casual Member
I disconnected the ring wire from my master socket a year or two ago because I found I got about an 8dB higher SNR Margin and far,far fewer CRC errors by plugging the router in the test socket so that all my extensions were disconnected. Since disconnecting the ring wire, I get identical results using the exisiting extensions. The higher SNR also ment my ADSL was mostly useable even when I had a bad fault on the line.
The ring wire is the third one isn't it? My sockets only get fed through two wires anyway.

hk11

Casual Member
The problem is with the internal cabling im 100% sure and with it being 45 foot long and double filtered.
The filters are actually doing anything on the router-feed as this is fed via the unfiltered side.

The whole thing has been working like this for several years; firstly on 512k with Pipex, then on 2M with E7, now 2M with Ezee (spit). I had a few days without any service just before the problems and wonder if the line gets "conditioned"?

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
For 512 it wouldnt matter you would have around 20-25db SNR margin with your stats, the problem starts when you up the speed it takes away the SNR so you have a higher speed lower SNR. The SNR is signal to noise ratio and the internal cabling is intoducing more noise to the same amount of signal so it lowers down, when the connection gets the errors all at the same time and your router and the modem in the exhange drop the connection, to try and get a better one.

When anything electrical or gives out a signal it can cause interferance and theres more interferance caused in the house than any where else and as others have said the ringer wire collects most of it but it doesnt stop all interferance causing problems, if you have a NTE5 socket plug the router in to the test socket located behind the faceplace and get the same stats I would give it a guess your SNR would go up to around 30ish and the connection would be rock solid.

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
Heres some stats from my router plugged in to my test socket on a fixed rate 2 meg and i know i have a bad line:

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 288 / 2,272
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.0 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 44.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 18.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

hk11

Casual Member
if you have a NTE5 socket plug the router in to the test socket located behind the faceplace and get the same stats I would give it a guess your SNR would go up to around 30ish and the connection would be rock solid.
I'll give that a try next time I get any problems, but's it's been stable for a couple of days now and has been fine for several years, so .....

hk11

Casual Member
Heres some stats from my router plugged in to my test socket on a fixed rate 2 meg and i know i have a bad line:
Mine seems OK again now :-

$get dslparams

Local SNR Margin(dB) : 10.0 Remote SNR Margin(dB) : 24.0

$

hk11

Casual Member
Interestingly I got a call from 186k (I thought I was with Ezee, but ....) and they said BT had been doing work on the line, so ....

Early this morning my line drops again (first time in some while) and Local SNR Margin(dB) : 3.0 !!! A quick re-boot of the router and it's now 12 without me touching anything? It was very wet last night and still is. I am beginning to suspect a flooded/corroded joint on the BT network.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Plusnet £21.99 (*34.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Cashback
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2537)
  2. FTTP (2255)
  3. FTTC (1677)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1445)
  6. Openreach (1432)
  7. Business (1259)
  8. Statistics (1113)
  9. FTTH (1106)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1059)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (923)
  13. 4G (919)
  14. Wireless Internet (918)
  15. Virgin Media (871)
  16. EE (606)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (587)
  19. Vodafone (535)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules