Sponsored Links

Router Issues causing drops

Exmoor

Hi I am seeking advice re Router issues with our internet connection. I am learning as I go so don't have a lot of experience on this issue.
We are currently with Daisy on old BT landline on broadband/phone deal. After months of complaining we have finally got a new router and because of the difference I started researching this subject.
Old Router was a Technicolour TG582n and was giving us constant good download speeds of 11-12mbs which for us here in the sticks we accept as ok. Then in past few months in the evenings and every evening it would drop every few minutes or seconds between 11mps and 0. After months of complaining we have received a Technicolouyr DWA0120 and the immediate results were great a constant 10.6 download. However after just a few days they are now around 5 constant 24/7.
We run a small business but need connection to upload video and use for emails etc. We do not watch TV or stream etc so really do not need Fibre but happy to pay the extra £10 per month if worth it. We are approx 1 mile from nearest BT box with quite old copper connection.
Is it worth upgrading to a better Router? Happy to pay just very new to such research. Would the DrayTek Vigor 2762 Series ADSL/VDSL Router wirelsss “ac” WiFi be a suitable and an upgrade from the current DWA0120?
Apologies for long post be interested to get any advice.
Many thanks Rod

The router might not be the problem, there could be an underlying issue with your copper line that's creating instability in the connection and performance loss. Are you able to post the connection stats (attenuation, noise margin etc.) from your router?

Worth checking what SNR you are connecting at since BT reduced the SNR to 3dB many routers cannot hold the connection. Long lines really need higher than 3dB but BT's DLM keeps reducing the SNR back to 3dB.

Sponsored Links
Adding to what Mark says, in a rural setting, and over that long a line, it would be a good idea to visually inspect the path the line takes from your house.
Look for tree branches that might be impacting on the line when it is windy; these cause micro-fractures to the cable, resulting in all sorts of weirdness.
Also look for industrial/agricultural machinery that might be producing radio interference in the line.
You can also go to the ThinkBroadband website and sign up for a line monitor and keep an eye on the results; it may show a pattern that could give clues to why the line becomes so unstable.

Hi I am seeking advice re Router issues with our internet connection. I am learning as I go so don't have a lot of experience on this issue.
We are currently with Daisy on old BT landline on broadband/phone deal. After months of complaining we have finally got a new router and because of the difference I started researching this subject.
Old Router was a Technicolour TG582n and was giving us constant good download speeds of 11-12mbs which for us here in the sticks we accept as ok. Then in past few months in the evenings and every evening it would drop every few minutes or seconds between 11mps and 0. After months of complaining we have received a Technicolouyr DWA0120 and the immediate results were great a constant 10.6 download. However after just a few days they are now around 5 constant 24/7.
We run a small business but need connection to upload video and use for emails etc. We do not watch TV or stream etc so really do not need Fibre but happy to pay the extra £10 per month if worth it. We are approx 1 mile from nearest BT box with quite old copper connection.
Is it worth upgrading to a better Router? Happy to pay just very new to such research. Would the DrayTek Vigor 2762 Series ADSL/VDSL Router wirelsss “ac” WiFi be a suitable and an upgrade from the current DWA0120?
Apologies for long post be interested to get any advice.
Many thanks Rod

From the sounds of it you might well find the router has nothing to do with your issues - what you really need is a competent ISP that can troubleshoot this - I run one as it happens, and it is staggering how often we hear of people who've had issues blamed on routers etc that are not.

As a starter, you should:

- Make sure you have good, new, working, filters - if you have any extensions, stick a filter on if there is anything connected to them - and replace ALL existing filters - they do fail and it can help.

- If you have the ring wire connected, get rid of it - you don't need it and it can help.

- Use another known good router to see if the problem does continue

- Connect things via the test socket (unscrew the main faceplate) - and see if things work fine then (any extensions will be disconnected)

- Ask your ISP to run suitable line tests - establish if there is any lingering/existing known issue.

Those would be a good starter for self-help troubleshooting.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules