Sponsored Links

Router + VPN

benparker

Top Member
I have a Huawei B535 router. Is it possible to insert the VPN details somewhere in the router rather than running it on PC or Android device so it's active all the time?

I've also noticed when I activate vpn on my phone, I'm not able to cast to my TV, probably because it's showing the network is elsewhere?

Lastly what's a good vpn that doesn't slow your connection?

Yup, you can - but it doesn't support modern secure VPN protocols so you're stuck with L2TP. There's a few providers who still provide L2TP though. AAISP do one for 10 a month that's highly reccomended. Others like NordVPN etc. exist too.

The casting problem is caused because your device is on the VPN network that your TV isn't. Having a VPN on the router itself will fully resolve this.

Ben, I cast a zoom call dance lesson for my kids to the tv today (through my xbox one as the LCD is over 10 years old) whilst using cloudflare's WARP on my phone (look on google store for 1.1.1.1 trust me it works).

The number of problems I had running zoom first then cast not working because of "protected content".

The secret to the casting is to always reboot your phone first, run your cast program on tv/console and then cast from your device, lastly run your apps.

(the xbox one DNS is set to 1.1.1.1 set manually)

Sponsored Links
Yup, you can - but it doesn't support modern secure VPN protocols so you're stuck with L2TP. There's a few providers who still provide L2TP though. AAISP do one for 10 a month that's highly reccomended. Others like NordVPN etc. exist too.

The casting problem is caused because your device is on the VPN network that your TV isn't. Having a VPN on the router itself will fully resolve this.

Thanks, would you say nordvpn is good in terms of speed? Would it reduce it significantly?

Thanks, would you say nordvpn is good in terms of speed? Would it reduce it significantly?
I've had a NordVPN subscription for quite a few years. Searching around the web you can find heavy discounts on long term plans. They have literally thousands of different servers available so speed has never been an issue for me. Even if a server seems to be slow it's easy enough to pick one of many more available.

The only issue is I believe that NordVPN have stopped supporting L2TP connections as they are outdated and insecure - I don't think you'll be able to set it up on the router.

Another service I highly recommend is PIA (Private Internet Access) - I used them for quite a while too and it was good service and speeds. They still support L2TP VPNs that your B535 supports.

Bit of a silly question from me....(Not the first time.) But what exactly is the point of providing L2TP VPN's if they are unsecure?

A vulnerability in the Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) parsing function of Cisco IOS (12.0 through 12.4 and 15.0 through 15.6) and Cisco IOS XE (3.1 through 3.18) could allow an unauthenticated, remote attacker to cause an affected device to reload. The vulnerability is due to insufficient validation of L2TP packets. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability by sending a crafted L2TP packet to an affected device. A successful exploit could allow the attacker to cause the affected device to reload, resulting in a denial of service (DoS) condition. This vulnerability affects Cisco devices that are running a vulnerable release of Cisco IOS or Cisco IOS XE Software if the L2TP feature is enabled for the device and the device is configured as an L2TP Version 2 (L2TPv2) or L2TP Version 3 (L2TPv3) endpoint. By default, the L2TP feature is not enabled.

Great...........

Sponsored Links
Bit of a silly question from me....(Not the first time.) But what exactly is the point of providing L2TP VPN's if they are unsecure?
The point is simply to connect two networks as if they were local by use of a tunnel.
So for example you can use an outgoing L2TP connection from a 4G connection to gain static addresses in that remote network which can be used as incoming addresses for the local network (which may not otherwise be publicly addressable due to CGNAT etc).
Nothing to do with security, unless you also use IPSec etc.

NordVPN doesn't support the older protocols anymore, choose AAISP or PrivateInternetAccess

Sponsored Links
Does NordVPN slow down your speed? I have heard good things about it, but there are some VPNs that slow down your internet speed and I hate that. I have been using F-Secure VPN and it has been fantastic for me. I like trying them out and that is the only reason why I would switch from F-Secure. There is a wonderful article on it that can be found on VPNtesting website. They have written a lot of reviews on various VPNs and that can help you choose one.

Last edited:
Only use PrivateInternetAccess if you know you absolutely do not need any support from them whatsoever with their product.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules