Sponsored

Routers and Modems

Haak

So I have VDSL type Fiber Broadband with Sky and I've been looking into getting third party routers, because my Sky Hub's a piece of crap. I was wondering about whether to just get a router (example) or if I really need to get an all-in-one VDSL modem+router (example). For the record, it'll only be for wifi usage.

The reason I ask is because I notice those VDSL modem+routers are often quite a bit more expensive and I notice lots of customer reviews feature people not getting the modem bit to actually work (and it's especially tricky with Sky apparently). I know that the ISP routers are generally low spec but is that because of the modem or the router? Although I'm on a 38mbps deal (and promised at least 30mbps), I only ever seem to get 20mbps (whether I'm a few rooms away or standing right in front of the router). Would it be the modem in the Sky Hub that's bottlenecking my internet speeds or would it be the router? Or would it be a third factor all together that I have no real control over (I've heard the distance you are from the FTTC makes a big difference)? Space for a second router isn't an issue and I don't mind troubleshooting two devices if need be so those aren't issues to me. My only desire is to get the most bang for my buck. Would I get better internet speeds with an integrated VDSL modem+router or am I just better off getting a router and connecting it to my Sky Hub? Or in the end will it make no difference whatsoever?

Also for the record, I don't actually plan on getting a router now. In the end, I only have a 38mbps deal and a potentially extra 18mbps isn't that big of a deal to me. I plan on waiting next year when my Sky contract expires and I can negotiate for a 76mbps deal.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
while its entirely possible someone might be able to advise you here, there should be a reasonable amount of information over at http://www.skyuser.co.uk there are quite a few articles about how to modify the firmware to work with sky and supported devices.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I've not tried using Sky Fibre Broadband with the Sky Hub acting as just a modem. In theory it should work, but Sky's Hub settings are quite limited for more advanced uses. Generally I always prefer the router with integrated modem approach, although you do have to be mindful that not all routers will work with Sky's approach to authentication.

I got the TPLink Archer VR200 (AC750) and provided you get the latest firmware (guessing that models purchased today will have that pre-installed) then it should work perfectly. It's a bit pricey for AC750 speed WiFi, but the coverage and performance has been pretty solid.

Now the big problem here is that Sky don't allow you to see the password for the "fibre" (VDSL2) connection and you can't make a third-party router like the VR200 work without it. So in order to get that I had to use Wireshark to monitor the WiFi connection and sniff the password out, which proved to be quite easy (you'll find some guides online for this).

I found some information that may help you do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhmMh9tn_60

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extr...extracting-username-password-your-router.html

What you get back should look a bit like this:

Login: 7c3ca5982e74@skydsl
Password: 7249d12d

Don't buy anything until you've got both the login and password for your existing VDSL2 connection. Take note that this only works with their older routers, not the latest Sky Q Hub (the Q is a bit rubbish anyway IMO).

Haak

Thanks for the responses, guys. To be honest, I was hoping that there would be more solid and generalised "data" out there on this subject but I guess it's not that simple after all. From what I'm hearing, it looks like integrated modem+routers are the best bet and that the whole MER authentication issue with Sky isn't that big of a deal if I get a router with the right software. And it seems that TP-LINK in particular have this covered.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • NOW £22.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • TalkTalk £22.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: EASTERSALE
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Vodafone £26.00 (*29.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £29.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: EASTERSALE
  • TalkTalk £29.95 (*39.95)
    Speed: 145Mbps, Unlimited
  • Leetline £34.99 - 43.99
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3160)
  2. BT (2908)
  3. Building Digital UK (1844)
  4. FTTC (1844)
  5. Politics (1822)
  6. Openreach (1736)
  7. Business (1577)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1367)
  9. FTTH (1355)
  10. Statistics (1336)
  11. 4G (1176)
  12. Fibre Optic (1123)
  13. Wireless Internet (1097)
  14. Virgin Media (1091)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1087)
  16. EE (776)
  17. Vodafone (769)
  18. TalkTalk (729)
  19. Sky Broadband (711)
  20. 5G (657)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules