Sponsored Links

SatDrive & Wireless ICS

Hi all,

Im considering getting SatDrive as Broadband is a couple of years away. I've got ISDN at the moment, so i'll continue to use that as the back-up connection.

My query was about sharing the connection between PCs. The tricky bit is I want to do it with a Wireless system so that a neighbour (and work college) can share the connection. He's about 50 metres away. Is this possible and what equipment do we need:

- Satellite Dish
- Co-ax Cable
- SatDrive connection and software
- Wireless Rooter/LAN hub
- 2 x PCI Wireless Cards

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Lilson

I’m not sure about the wireless router idea (Infrastructure Mode) wit satellite connection. Best this is to do it get a some sort of software router and use the AD-HOC, Peer to Peer Mode.

Again I’m not a satdrive user so I don’t know how them works it’s only my guessing
:) :cool:

I don't think that Satdrive have a network connection at the moment. The only possible way round is to use the Win XP function of allowing other computers to share your internet connection, have a peer to peer wireless network that allows your neighbour to use your connection to Satdrive.
The wireless bit should work ok over 50m providing not to many walls between. If you get the right wireless cards they can attach an external antenna (some call it a range extender) which can be moved to the point of strongest signal.
Understand the SatDrive Ts and Cs that you are allowed to do this. Also check that your neighbour is not going to use all your bandwidth/data allowance! A bit of a bummer if he gets you bounced from the system fo over use!

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

Cut and pasted from our forum:

SatDrive has decided to provide our members with an early Christmas present.

Below you will find details of how to provide LAN routing for HTTP, FTP and SOCKS throughout your network with your existing SatDrive v5.1 software.

For
- You don’t have to use Winroute or Analogx now for http, ftp and socks traffic.
- You can run this on Windows 98, ME, 2000 and XP.
- Client machines can be Apple Mac, BeOS, Linux or Windows based.

Against
- It will not allow client machines to select their priority. All machines will have to use the priority that the server is set to.
- You can not limit the bandwidth of a client machine.
- You can not get bandwidth usage for a client machine.
- The software will not be supported for LAN use until version 6 is released in January.

The SatDrive Office Professional LAN solution ( for 5 PC’s plus) will be released in January which will provide all the functionality that is listed under the “Against” list.

** WE WILL NOT PROVIDE TECHNICAL SUPPORT YOU IF YOU DO THE FOLLOWING UPGRADE PRIOR TO THE OFFICIAL RELEASE IN JAN 03 **

- How to setup your server

1)Run Regedit.exe
2)Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareTELESSkyDSLLocalProxy
3)Add a new string value
4)Call it AllowIp1 (Case sensitive)
5)Add the data value: 0.0.0.0 [0.0.0.0]

- How to setup your client

Open up your browser and configure the proxy to be the IP address of the client machine.

E.g. If your machine acting as the server had the IP address 192.168.0.1

http IP address: 192.168.0.1 port: 8080
https IP address: 192.168.0.1 port: 8080
ftp IP address: 192.168.0.1 port: 8080
socks IP address: 192.168.0.1 port: 1080

Best Regards

Satdrive does not work with ICS - the software you have to install breaks the ICS functionality within XP or 2000. You must use a 3rd party solution to share the connection - I use Winroute but you could equally use AnalogX and Proxy+. As the previous post also states Satdrive are releasing their own solution in the new year - but from past experience I would not trust their software to work very well :)

HTH

I completely disagree. Most our clients are running their satdrive software without a problem. There will always with any software be scenario's where some support will be required to help people. This is what happens with so many different spec systems and multiple software enviro's.

Third party proxy software has had a lot of trouble running on the same system as our software I highly don't recommend you go down that route.

You are correct we do not work with ICS installed on the same system.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules