Sponsored Links

Screwed and Lied to

Hi

I've pasted a copy of a complaint letter just sent of to Talk Talk. Would be nice to know if anyone else has had similar woes.....

In April 2010 I was phoned by a Talk Talk salesperson and asked if I would like a ‘better deal’ where I could upgrade to unlimited broadband for a small extra monthly charge. I asked, if I agreed would I be signing up for another contract and I was told no (that was the first time I was lied to by Talk Talk) because I later found out that I had in fact been signed up for a new contract.

I also mentioned that I was having a lot of technical issues and I was promised that these would be fixed. During the following weeks I spent a lot of time on the phone to technical support and had several replacement routers sent out. On one of the calls to Talk Talk customer service I discovered my contract had been renewed and I explained that I was not happy about this as I had not agreed to it. I was asked why I didn’t want to renew my contract to which I replied there was too many drop outs on the connection. The Talk Talk representative told me not to worry and if I agreed to stay on with Talk Talk (I was still in the cooling off period of my new contract) they would endeavour to fix my faults free of charge (this was the second lie I was told).

Eventually after following all the instructions from technical support I was told that an engineer would be sent out with a new router to do some diagnostics. The engineer came out to the house at the beginning of September and replaced the router, he also checked out the exchange end of the circuit. Since that date the connection has been much better, I would in fact consider the technical problems resolved.

The reason for this letter is that on my December bill I have an additional charge of £46.99 for a ‘non fault engineer visit’. After telephoning customer services I was told that this was for the engineer visit back in September. I explained that I was promised by Talk Talk that all the issues I was having would be fixed at no cost to myself. I also explained that I wasn’t told that I would be charged for an engineer visit. Eventually after being bounced around several people and different departments All that Talk Talk could offer was one free months line rental which would still leave me £20 out of pocket.
I hope you appreciate that this is not acceptable and that I shouldn’t have been charged. I have summarised my main concerns below:-

• My contract was renewed by a cold call from a Talk Talk salesperson, even when I specifically asked if I was renewing I was told ‘no it’s just an upgrade’, this was a lie.
• I was promised that my technical issues would be fixed free of charge and if they were not I could cancel the renewal (that I hadn’t asked for in the first place).
• I was never told I would have to pay for an engineer visit.
• How can it be a ‘non fault engineer call’ when the fault was down to a router that TalkTalk had supplied just a few weeks previously.
• Why did the charge take over three months to come up on my bill?
Please could you review my concerns, I hope you agree that this charge is not correct and that you will do the right thing and credit my account as soon as possible. As I am in mid contract I do not have the option of cancelling without incurring a substantial cost. However if this matter is not resolved to my satisfaction rest assured I will be leaving Talk Talk as soon as I can, never to return.

To answer some of those.

1. You're not alone.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/20...ne-mis-selling-by-broadband-isp-talktalk.html

2,3,4,6. You're still not alone.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/20...to-stop-billing-for-nonexistent-services.html

TalkTalk are sadly known for these problems, which is why Ofcom has recently taken them to task over the issues that still continue even today. You can also find out about how best to complain by going here (link below), although I'd recommend letting Ofcom know about the situation too as they're already looking into similar problems (I'd also let TalkTalk know that you've gotten Ofcom involved).

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/new/complain/complain.shtml

One big problem you might have is that most of the decisions have taken place over the phone. You could try asking TalkTalk to release a recorded log of your conversations with them, although they might not have one. This goes to show why it's good practice to ask for everything in writing as confirmation before agreeing to a major change.

Also I would say that TalkTalk clearly mislead you over contracts. Most people know that a service upgrade is usually equal to signing a new contract and they should have told you that. These days I record all my calls to any service companies and I have to say that it's been useful on more than one occasion.

Hi barrysmith1010,

I am very sorry to hear you have been having problems with TalkTalk. Have you managed to have your issues resolved?

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules