Sponsored Links

Second hand iPhones - where to buy

I replaced my phone with an Apple iPhone 3GS which someone gave to me to try for free, as I'd got so frustrated with my one.

Partner's phone is also "going geriatric" like mine did, and so I thought I'd try and get another Apple one since I've warmed to my one despite the abysmal Wi-Fi performance and frankly, it "just works" for the most part.

Looking on eBay an iPhone 3GS 16GB - which is the one I have - goes for about £130.

However I've never used eBay and still have concerns about buying anything of any real value on there.

Ideally I'd get one from a mobile phone shop and I know some do recon ones, but I can't track these down, I guess they're still very much in demand.

Any ideas on where I can get one fairly cheaply (the phone being replaced was new @ £130!) from someone I can trust to be fairly reputable?

Really eBay is where I'd go. You can usually identify good vs bad sellers by looking at their history and feedback ratings. Reliable people usually have a 97%+ rating. Just pay close attention to the description as any devils are required by the rules to be mentioned there. A lot of people just look at the price, picture and then only read one line of the description before buying.. so do read it properly.

Now I'm a bit biased against the iPhone as it's tricky to unlock and doesn't allow owners access to customise the interface or even to change the battery, which I hate. But do be careful and consider what you want. Some iPhone's on eBay might state that they've been jail broken, which could cause problems if you want to upgrade the OS legitimately in the future. But those will usually also work on almost any network without problems.

Also make sure that it either works on your network or has been properly unlocked. A lot of 2nd hand iPhones don't seem to be properly unlocked for different networks and your mobile operator may need to help you perform a few tricks in order to make it work. Likewise if you get an iPhone 4 then remember you'll need a special MicroSIM (old sims won't work) from your operator first.

when ebaying l would also look at their feedback as well.. see what previous people say about their purchases and the ratio of negative and positive feedback.. l tend to steer clear of sellers who have a sudden surge of negative feedback in a month and take comments to heart as some can be descriptive of condition they receive goods in and also about the type of service you can expect from a seller.

that being said cash generator or CEX shops tend to stock such times, both have online shops ( http://uk.webuy.com/ & http://www.cashgenerator.co.uk/home2.aspx ) and generally l notice allot of towns having these types of shops selling second hand goods people have sold to them, they are worth a look

Sponsored Links
I second what timeless said about Cash Generator's and related high street shops. We're seeing a lot of those crop up around these parts now, perhaps as a reflection of the economic situation, and they often have a nice selection of used goods that frequently include iPhones (though not always unlocked ones).

Just take note that their prices are fair but usually set a little higher than a crafty bidder could get on eBay (remember to factor postage costs into the price). The key with eBay is to wait until the right moment and try to bid on items that finish when most people are still at work ;) . Saturday and Sunday's are good for sellers but not buyers.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules