Sponsored Links

Secure and safe torrenting. How is this possible?

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Happy New Year

So is VPN the way to go? Any recommendations on who to use and how to set it up please?

I'm on talktalk 76mb.

Please PM me if you would rather comment without it appearing on here.

Thank you 😀

I'm slightly hesitant to recommend one as no sooner than somebody posts then the forum will be spammed by VPN marketer bots :) . Generally though I use NordVPN to stay secure while abroad or on a public network.

Sponsored Links
I use Private Internet Access and I am generally happy with them. They say they are non-logging. Occasionally I get dropped connections but it has been very stable recently. One issue with VPNs is how to protect yourself when the VPN drops. The PIA client has a 'kill' switch but I don't know how effective it is. I use a router based OpenVPN config that covers my whole network and in pfSense router software it is very easy to prevent leaks if the VPN drops. You can get a similar behavior using DD-WRT OPEN-WRT and the like but it is quite complex to get working unless you are wizard with IP Tables. If you do decide to protect your whole network then you get the added complication that the likes of Netflix and iPlayer generally will not work through a VPN. Having said all of the above I question if pirating is really worth the hassle? I use a VPN for general anonymity.

BM

Ah I only just read the title of your post (I read the message first due to how I check the forum and kind of ignored that hehe). I have no idea if NordVPN is any good for P2P, I only use it for security while abroad or in hotels.

VPN slows P2P

I forgot to mention that using a VPN may impact on the P2P performance. Bittorrent needs port forwarding in order to get the best download speeds and not all VPN providers support port forwarding on all servers. For example I don't think PIA supports port forwarding on its UK servers? The forwarded port needs to be set up on the p2p client each time you connect to the VPN is it is a hassle. I don't often use P2P but when I do I don't use port forwarding but the performance hit is not worth considering on my 3Mbps connection :(

Sponsored Links
Personally I go for a belt & braces approach by using cloud torrent sites to fetch torrents and connect to those sites through a VPN. That puts two layers between me and the torrent swarm and any prying eyes. Also as I'm using HTTPS to download files I don't get throttled by my ISP who slow down P2P traffic at peak times. I'm currently using the free VPN that comes with the latest Opera browser. Not sure if I'm allowed to post links, so I'll PM you some links to cloud torrent providers I have tried.

It depends on what you mean by "safe and secure". It is not "safe" to download questionable things of unknown origin from the internet and then run them on your computer. If you know what you're doing then you'll be mostly fine, yet every computer I've seen which uses P2P is infested with trojans and viruses and so AV/Windows Defender is pretty essential.

VPNs do shave off some speed, yes, about 25% of our downstream speed vanishes via the VPN we use.

Sponsored Links
It depends upon your preferences and the factors that mean more to you. If all you need to do is unblock stuff, I guess anything would do. If protection is your concern, get one with a 256-bit encryption, dns and ip leak protection and a zero-log policy.

If you want to use a VPN for torrenting go for premium ones and never opt for free VPNs at all. I use Nordvpn for torrenting, which is not only fast and secure but affordable as well I got it in just $3.29 per month

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules