Sponsored Links

Security software - what to get?

I just got a new pc and I want to install some software to make my pc safer while surfing the internet. I have read about a lot of programmes but I am actually just looking for one programme that does the trick. Is there something like a bundle that contains all the necessary tools I need to more or less have a safe pc?

Im afriad there isnt really one bundle that does it all. Norton and similar will claim to do this but it causes so many problems with computers.

What you need is:

Firewall (windows XP has a good one built in)

Antivirus (NOD32 is one of the best paid for, Avast for free)

Antispyware (Good old spybot)

XP firewall only blocks "inbound", so I should go for a better firewall.

I have used Zone Alarm for years with no problems; they offer a free version also.

Regards

Sponsored Links
I use Avast for virus scanning (free),
Adaware (free) and spybot for spyware (free),
and windows firewall (free).

i dont use zone alarm as last time i did, i had lots of problems. However that was like4 years ago.

Get a router with a SPI router firewall use the windows firewall aswell a anti virus and the spyware programs should see you fine or ditch the windows for a apple mac.

Anti-Virus = AVG Free is excellent.

Firewall = I still use Sygate 5.6 (free).

Unfortunately you can't get Sygate anymore as Symantic dropped it (big surprise, not). Maybe Kerio which is also free or ZoneAlarm.

I would recomend the Nod 32 it is worth paying for and the guys ther are very helpful if you hit any snags.

Kerio Firewall and as Manofmeans says get a router with SPI firewall on it.

Sponsored Links
RJM said:
XP firewall only blocks "inbound", so I should go for a better firewall. ...

I thought Windows firewall requested permission for outbound applications ... :shrug:

It does, I have seen it do that today after installing stuff.

I dont think AVG is any good now, its started getting much worse on detecting viruses.

Like I said, NOD32 for very good (paid for) antivirus, and Avast for free antivirus.

Im currently using both, and they are quite good.

Old dude said:
I dont think AVG is any good now, its started getting much worse on detecting viruses.

I use AVG Free, never had a virus, it is updated daily...so fingers crossed.

I use Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster and MS Defender as well as MacAfee Security Centre.

I'll add my support to those recommending NOD32 AVS. Simply has to be the best out there.. it's lightweight in that it consumes next to nothing in system resources, is extremely fast when compared to its competitors and is very good at its job!

Sponsored Links
Firewall = Zonealarm Pro (Free version is great too)
Anti Spyware = ( Adaware Standard + Spybot) Both free
Anti Virus = NOD32

The firewall from zonealarm is great, i have not had any problems with it for over 4 years now. I have started to use Spybot now which is working very well.

As far as the antivirus goes, i tried many, and trashed many, NOD32 is the only one which i really like, very low on resources and very effective. I have high speed connection and every other antivirus i tried will take cpu utilization to 100 if i download at above 400 Kbytes. NOD32 has been rock solid even when i download at 1Mbytes. Not sure if that applies to everyone. I found Kaspersky very handy too but it used to suffer under high speed downloads.

Avast Antivirus (free). I used to use AVG from Grisft, until it started requiring a reboot for every update.

Windows Firewall, though I also have one on my router. If I didn't, I'd also install ZoneAlarm

Spybot and Ad-aware are my spyware programs, although I think Ad-aware is the better one.

Andy

akbray said:
Avast Antivirus (free). I used to use AVG from Grisft, until it started requiring a reboot for every update.

Andy

I had the very same problem, I just deleted it, then installed it again, perfect/sorted.

That was about a year ago, no problems since.

Soon after it started doing it, I rebiult my machine (not as a result of AVG). Even after rebuild nothing had changed, so I downloaded Avast.

I have installed AVG of several of my family's PC's, and they all suffered the same problem. Most have now gone onto other programs - mainly Avast.

Sponsored Links
I bet if you download AVG now it will be fine, it only seemed to happen over a given period.

I tried Avast, but I just like the simplicity of AVG and the very regular automatic updates, but.... as they say, to each his / her own. ;)

Inactive said:
I tried Avast, but I just like the simplicity of AVG and the very regular automatic updates, but.... as they say, to each his / her own. ;)

True enough - I'm happy with Avast, so I can't be bothered to try AVG again - at least not until I have a problem with Avast.

Both seem to offer good levels of protection for free, so I can't complain anyways.

I have Norton Internet Security 2006 installed, a full-fledged security suite that does everything you're asking for.

The main modules are the anti virus and the firewall, it also has a spam blocker, it prevents popups, spyware, adware, ... There are tools that scan your connection to prevent you from giving away your bank details or credit card info, too.

Also, you get a full system scan before it actually installs anything. Even though your computer is new, you might be in for a surprise seeing how fast a computer can be infected with stuff these days.

If you dont mind your computer slowing down, use avast.
If you want protection with performace, get avg. There is pratically no impact on performance with AVG, and I have tried both avast and AVG.

It all boils down the the real time protection. Avast is more intrusive, whilst AVG is more underlying and you dont notice its scanning EVERYTIME you open a new folder/window like you do with avast.

As for firewall, I use windows firewall. Its effective, and as long as you dont "make yourself a target" which means you dont go on "THOSE" websites, it should work well, and not cause programs to behave erratically or be blocked suddenly.

Add to this spybot, spyware blaster and ccleaner, and you are totally protected.
Havent had a single intrusion with this setup ever. No viruses or nothing.

Im kind of disappointed with this, isnce I used to like seeing how many things my virus scanner picked up.
Now everytime it scans, it reports 0. 0. 0.
So I just scan once a month as opposed to every week.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules