Sponsored

Setting up ACCESS POINT???

Mikerec

Casual Member
Have I got it wrong? Followed a youtube vid on converting my tp link router to an access point - coming off the new Three 4G router. When I check wifi options on my phone I see the Huawei (which) I'm connected to and also see as an option the TP Link - which is now attached to ethernet port of Huawei & one ethernet port on its back. (should I plug the ethernet cable from the main router into the LAN or WAN port on the TP Link access point?)

The TP Link home made access point requires a password to connect to. Should an access point have a different name to the main router ? Should it have a separate password? I was hoping to plug it in and connect to the one Huawei network wherever I am in the house. I changed the IP address of the TP Link as described in the vid and moved it up a number.

I'm keen to learn about this so any general help as well as specific appreciated.

Thank you

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
The ethernet cable from the Huawei goes into the WAN port any computer connected to it shoudl be the LAN port.

kommando828

Casual Member
Should an access point have a different name to the main router ?

Yes

Should it have a separate password?

Up to you if you use the same or another password, another is more secure but same is convenient to remember.

fat jez

Casual Member
You probably don’t want (or need) two WiFi networks, if I’m understanding what you posted correctly. If there’s an option to do so, turn off the WiFi on the Huawei, since you’re using the TP Link as your access point. WiFi is pretty congested, especially around the lower 2.4GHz band, so if both networks are on the same frequency they will interfere with one another and give you slower speeds.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*34.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £60 Cashback
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • Vodafone £23.00
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2488)
  2. FTTP (2145)
  3. FTTC (1645)
  4. Building Digital UK (1590)
  5. Openreach (1402)
  6. Politics (1399)
  7. Business (1224)
  8. Statistics (1089)
  9. FTTH (1047)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1023)
  11. Fibre Optic (964)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (908)
  13. Wireless Internet (894)
  14. 4G (885)
  15. Virgin Media (850)
  16. Sky Broadband (592)
  17. EE (582)
  18. TalkTalk (572)
  19. Vodafone (506)
  20. Security (409)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules