Sponsored

Setting Up Router on AOL

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
A friend has asked me to set their AOL connection up with a router, so that they can use Wi-Fi and their PS3 online.

I've been told that doing this can be quite tricky because of the systems they use - I know it's possible, but I'd quite like to know what the problems are and how to get past them

Help!

Andy

Last edited:

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
when l did it it was pretty easy just connected everything via cable tho.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
Cable may be a possibility cos I now the PS3 and the phone socket and current PC arew all close, but WiFi is preferred.

TBH I'm not familiar with AOL's systems having never used them, I'd just like to know about the pitfalls before I start the job.

Thanks for the link zag5.

Any particular recommendations about which router to use - the Netgear DG-somethingorother has been recommended.

It needs to be a combined router & ADSL model.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
if its cable you only need the wired networking kit was plug and play for me with bother netgear and belkin... wireless tho is another problem lve not dealt with.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Some AOL customers are being migrated to CPW's talktalk network, which according to most posts I've seen requires an MTU of 1400 or less.

According to a post by an AOL rep PPPoA VC-MUX works even on their LLU network.

I would get a router on AOL's supported list such as the dg834g in case they are ever in the unfortunate position of having to phone up AOL as they will insist on going through all the settings.

Actually any router in the dg834gX range would do as long as they tell AOL support it is a dg834g, their UIs are virtually the same. I prefer the dg834gt myself.

If you do go for a Netgear and you configure it to use PPPoE, then some firmwares have an annoying feature of resetting their MTU to 1492 when you apply changes to the settings on either the "Basic" or "ADSL" settings pages, so you have to go into the wan setup page and correct it afterwards. This only happens if you use PPPoE mode though.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Gift Card
  • Post Office £20.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £21.95
    Avg. Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2620)
  2. FTTP (2411)
  3. FTTC (1713)
  4. Building Digital UK (1649)
  5. Politics (1513)
  6. Openreach (1488)
  7. Business (1305)
  8. FTTH (1200)
  9. Statistics (1141)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1106)
  11. Fibre Optic (1010)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (962)
  13. 4G (955)
  14. Wireless Internet (953)
  15. Virgin Media (912)
  16. EE (632)
  17. Sky Broadband (625)
  18. TalkTalk (609)
  19. Vodafone (577)
  20. 3G (433)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules