Sponsored Links

Should I update my web hosting?

Hello,

I'm running a SEO Forum with more members daily but some friends said that my forum running rather slowly and suggest me should update my web hosting for fast loading pages.

According to you, should I update my web hosting and which pagekages I should go with?

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:
to be honest it wouldnt make much of a difference.. tho that depends on what kind of hosting upgrade..

that is to say, if content is being served slow because of connection issues then it could either be bogged down with users which would be solved by upgrading the connectivity.. however there can be many other issues which might be out of ones control to contend with plus it depends on the route taken by different users.. and then there is hardware issues, however one can only speculate without having access directly to the server to run diagnostics as it could be something as simple as the server just cant handle peak periods of users or a more specific hardware problem.

that being said sometimes software updates can help.. and imho when it comes to forums l believe they should be patched/upgraded to keep ahead of any security exploits.

Wouldn't someone who runs a forum for webmasters know a bit about hosting? I smell link spam, especially as there is no mention of this in your own web hosting board. That's a great way to get yourself penalised by Google.

Sponsored Links
It does look a little spammy so I've removed the links.

As to the question itself, assuming this is a legitimate post, my first port of call would be to investigate what's causing the server load and try to mitigate it through the apps settings or other measures like more aggressive cache. On forums 9-times-out of-10 the problem is actually illegitimate spam bots loading down all the page requests and banning those can help, albeit usually a temporary measure (warning, don't ban google etc. by mistake).

The fact is there are various things you can do here, some of which involve complex .htaccess rules, but all depend upon what software and server setup you have so it's very difficult to advise.

to be honest it wouldnt make much of a difference.. tho that depends on what kind of hosting upgrade..

that is to say, if content is being served slow because of connection issues then it could either be bogged down with users which would be solved by upgrading the connectivity.. however there can be many other issues which might be out of ones control to contend with plus it depends on the route taken by different users.. and then there is hardware issues, however one can only speculate without having access directly to the server to run diagnostics as it could be something as simple as the server just cant handle peak periods of users or a more specific hardware problem.

that being said sometimes software updates can help.. and imho when it comes to forums l believe they should be patched/upgraded to keep ahead of any security exploits.
Thanks for your shares..
what type of web hostings for a website with 1000 users online at once time? I should go with dedicated server?

that depends, what mark mentions holds merit, ld speak to the host and see how the server load is.. as there is no reason to spend more if the issue is related to scripts which can be streamlined better. however that being said if you expect to grow larger sometimes planning ahead can be useful and that can sometimes mean moving to more dedicated types of server.

Most of the activity on forums, is at the database end, not the web server.

However many people start out by setting up a low end dedicated server with both the web service and the database server on it, and find it's quickly overwhelmed.

Some forum code is poorly written - for instance I've seen off the shelf forums which implement the Search function by running a WHERE PostContents LIKE '%SeachTerms%' query which is an absolute database killer.

If you have virtual hosting now, you may not be able to see all of the necessary statistics about what is draining the performance. A danger with virtual hosting is that eventually, at some point, the host may tell you to go elsewhere because you are "monopolising resources" - some hosts, who I won't name, just shut your account without warning.

Worth bearing in mind that performance problems can be caused by over-utilisation of shared servers at the host, but if you have 1000 users online at once, this does point to it being very busy.

You don't say what the code is or what platform it operates on, but I'd have thought the option which would give the most for the money would be a small dedicated server box for the database server (MySQL or MSSQL) and possibly a virtual or cloud hosting account for the website.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules