Sponsored Links

Sick of ISDN BullSh!ters!!

Ok ive had ISDN for about a year now, numerous isp's unmetered and 0845. And My pings are about 80 to 150 average. And im sick of the ISDN ********ers who come on and tell ppl there getting a ping of 20-30 and crap like that. It doesnt happen folks. 120 is more likely it. And dont go posting me a copy and paste of some DOS promt ping that means nothing.

I challenge ANY of the ppl on here who have said they get 40 and under pings to meet me in a CS game!! So i can verify this nonsence. Post and we will make arangements.

Watch no-one come forward and do it. It'll prove me right it nothing else. Because whenever im in a game and i ask everyone what there using, the ones who admit to using ISDN are getting pings of 80-200.

Um,

ISDN easily achieves 20-40ms pings, assuming a decent ISP...

That is All.

man...you r the bulshiter of the year isdn easyly makes 60 ping ....get your facts right....i used to get 130 ping with 56k ????? lol

Sponsored Links
Very well, show me in game!

Come on take the challenge or prov me right? If your getting these pings tll be easy to show and prove to me

On jolt right now using Internal PCI card the best server is 130 ping. Ive no reason to lie, i pay enough for it.

Dony say im wrong. SHOW me.

(im on ISDN too)
kinetic, i think these people mean when they ping themselves on servers, game pings tend to be higher than this when actually IN a game. when i connected on the Jolt ISP to the Jolt server I got pings of 35-50, probably because the ISP and Host where really close so very little packet loss, but in reality on my standard ISP on a standard server I get pings ranging from 85-110, at times its like 65/70 but when theres actually latency being used (lots of people moving round on the screen) it tends to increase, if i was you i'd check for a few things if you want that small increase in bandwith, first try changing network cable (this wasnt a prob for me cause i have loads) but I changed mine and noticed a small increase in bandwith, also compare your pings on a diffrent ISP temporarily (preferably an 0845 isp) as these are usually faster than free ones due to less people on the service, if this is the prob then its clearly your isp. if you still notice no diffrence then check for newer drivers for your modem and maybe check your settings in your dial up networking in control panel, if ALL this fails i'd say to go for an Asus PCI modem, as ive heard Asus make the best ISDN modems.

i dont see any reason why you shouldnt get under 110'ish ping in games, as isdn is ROCK SOLID 64k upload AND download it should usually be under 100 on a decent ISP/server.. hope this helps

ISDN users quoting 20ms within games is without a doubt absolute bull. Considering Ive been playing online games for about 4 years now, when I see someone on a low ping i usually ask what connection they have out of interest (and maybe jealousy). The only people who ever report a ping below 20ms tend to be the T-Group (T1 T3 etc) and rarely you get ADSL peeps getting that low pings in-game, but thats probably because most ADSL gamers arent on the 2mb connections and are on the 512kb connections which get 30-40ms. No way with ISDN will you get 20 ms, come one, if a 512kb ADSL user can only get 30ms at best, how is an ISDN dual-128k user gonna get 20ms? Maybe if they live nextdoor to the game servers, even then I doubt it.

PS No amount of ISDN modem or other type of overclocking is gonna bring the ping down to 20ms, so no bull reasons in trying to cover blatent lies.

isdn pings vary alot just like modem pings depending on server etc... but in almost 6 years of playing online games the lowest isdn ping ive seen in game is about 50 and that was a 1v1 death match the average i see on full servers and i play various games is between 70-90 highest i see is about 120-140, at rest b4 the game starts on when waiting to join in again with TO CS it comes down to about 60 at the least but even that is very very rare

Sponsored Links
Enter Mark - The man with only ISDN for 8 years because I can't get ADSL.. arrrggg kill BT.

There are several factors to note:

1) ISP
2) Dialup Networking Settings
3) Operating system
4) Gaming being played
5) ISDN Hardware
6) ISDN Channels (64 or 128Kbps)

Firstly I'd say that games vary, for example, under Counter-Strike my 64Kbps ISDN connection has often been between 40 and 60ms on Barrysworld servers. There's nothing unusual about that, you always need to set the rate and push latency depending on the title to get things perfect.

However some games, Op: Flashpoint / Medal of Honour etc. pass more data and so under them on a similar server I might see 150-200ms. Indeed under titles that require more speed (the above two) then I'll often have to use No.6 above to go into 128Kbps mode and also No.2 to enable compression. Compression can be counter productive on older games.

The O/S can also make a big difference, for example I find that gaming under Windows 2000 (good networking) gives me a lower/more stable ping than under WinME or 98 (haven't tested XP).

The hardware itself is also another issue, I find that Asus ISDN adaptors sometimes load MP games faster (no idea why), yet pings can be 10-20ms higher than an adaptor from AVM.

Overall all these factors come together to make for a varied number of outcomes and choices, you really need to be familiar with the game and your connection to know what can and can't be achieved. The point is that such low pings are possible, yet it mostly depends on the game and the other settings.

You can't compare MoHAA or Op:Flash with Counter-Strike etc.

Remember, these are games and almost all are designed to work with modem users as well, thus a clever person can often find a way of getting extremely low pings under faster ISDN, but not so much on modern titles. You can also alter the TMU O/S settings, but that can be counter productive to other things.

This is simply not a black and white issue.

ISDN relies on the telephone network.

This means distance and load of the exchanges on the way can become significant.

If you live a long way from your ISP, your ISDN call will have to be routed via several exchanges. This can cause quite a bit of added latency.

I live in the south of England. If I was to call an ISP that operated in the north of England, the latency would be noticably higher than my usual ISP that's down in the south - maybe up to 30ms higher!

This is why it's often a good idea to choose an ISP that either operates close to you, or has a POP close to you.

If you are lucky enough to be connected to the exchange where the calls are routed to the ISP's equipment, your ISDN ping might easily be extremely low indeed!

I would like to add, that private circuits suffer the same limitations - why do you think that leased line providers advertise POP's all over the country?

Also, the way that unmetered FRIACO works, the calls may be routed via BTnet (or occasionally another, rival company) before reaching this ISP. This could bring the latency to the figures you quote.

The ISP's routes can also be a factor. The majority of unmetered ISP's DO NOT advertise themselves as gaming ISP's. Their routes are usually heavily loaded (since they usually carry a lot of users), and they generally DO NOT peer with major gaming sites - I knew a guy on unmetered AOL who pinged 800ms to any decent gaming servers - on ISDN! I think they probably route via the USA, though I never did any tests on this occasion (I told him to try a different ISP - problem solved!)

My advice is to try lots of various ISP's, and lots of different PPP and TA settings. Maybe setting MRU and MTU lower will improve latency?

I the most likely cause is your ISP, however.

the lowest i have had is about 70ms normally around the 90-150 mark though,i can get a zero ping if i set up the server so i'm with you kinetic
these people i think are talking about pinging there isp's i bet, that would be about right 20-30ms and thats a good isp too!!
lets face it people how often do u go to join servers and see the statts saying pings below 50ms never i feel more like below 150ms or even 200ms

I will have you a game and we shall see if you want i ping at roughly 60ms ona half decent server lowest ive seen with my ping is about 48ms and highest well gawd knows cud be nething, but average about 70ms i get

Peter :cool:

Sponsored Links
Last night using 0845 Jolt dial up, to a jolt server dual bonded at 128k my ping was about 60. I can accept 50 - 60 dual bonded with ultimate conditions. But not 20-30. So again, i challenge anyone on here who has said they get pings that low to meet me in a game of CS, so far no-one has come forward. And im not surprised because its complete BS!!

P.s. According to PCgamer the lowest a ping you can get on ISDN is 50

Ive told you, a ping of 50 i can imagine ppl getting at best possible conditions. Its only the people who come on and say there getitng 20-30 ping that i want to meet in game.

Because its simply crap.

On the old 0800 numbers I used to get pings of around 50-80 on CS (Uk servers) once everyone went 0808 my ping went up to 120+

20-30ms is indeed doubtful, I just had a game of CS on barrysworld and for 3 minutes it went down to 46/48ms, yet I don't think 20-30ms is realistic under anything like Counter-Strike or above.

Mind you, you can get 10ms on on some Tic-Tac-Toe servers =).. cough.

Sponsored Links
I have ISDN and the best ever in-game ping I've had is 43 in Q3 via AOL (YES AOL!! - theyre great apart from the crappy background software, but you learn to live with it). My AOL ping averages around 50. However, that ping of 43 in game is about 27 via All Seeing Eye (like gamespy) or the ms dos prompt.

Pings of 20-30 IN GAME via ISDN would be impossible, and certainly I have never seen anyone with those kind of pings with ISDN.

However, people might be getting confused between Leased Line and ISDN. I know you can get a leased line from BT at 64 or 128k, which they might call isdn although it is not. With these leased lines you might be able to muster a 20-30 ping although I'm not sure. Any1 put me right?

Leased lines are the only explanation I see to 20-30 pings with isdn.

btw cable can give u a sub-10 ping in q3. ;)

kinetic ur 80-120 isdn ping is certainly a bit too high - try a different isp :cool:

Yep i know.. Best i can get now-a-days is using jolts 0845 number, dual bonded, on a jolt game server!!. which is about 60. Maybe a tiny bit under. But there is no frigging way im going to pay 2 phone charges at high rate just to get a 60 ping. ISDN is not for gamers. It even said that in the latest PCGamer that says it was dieing out, never caught on because it was to expensive(and to rubbish) and was not good enough for decent MP use.. Blah!!

Using BTI 80's about the best on 64k i can get to local servers..maybe a bit better at times. Never ingame when ive asked have i met an isdn user lower than 60 whos admitted using ISDN.

Sometimes im so embarressed i say im using a modem.

All for the wonderfully cheap price of £40 a month and two phone call charges for a sub standard ping.

hi, i would kindly accept your challenge. eariler i got a 32 ping on 64k. it usually hovers about 50.

email meh!

kinetic, you noob, dual ISDN wont give you any better ping than 64k!

jolt 0845, on jolt server i ping around 30 - 50, with no one on it i get maybe less!

your line probabally just sucks, or you have the crapest ISDN card around.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules