Sponsored Links

SidnetDSL Nightmare

Unregistered

I was dumb and sign up for SidnetDSL last May, I have been unable to pay them due to their worldpay getting cancelled since July. Which is their fault not exactly mine. I had been requesting a MAC code and even got OFCOM involved but they were no help. They can't actually forced a ISO to do anything.

No their website has disappeared and all the emails are being bounced back. I have contacted BTWholesale and they have told me that they cannot directly speak to me and are no help. I do not want to put a cease on my line due to needing the internet for work and then I will be without internet.

Current I am receiving 135k yep 135k and can't seem to get a MC code from anywhere. Does anyone have any more ideas??

legally if you want a mac code you should get it within 5day, whats more l remember their website broke laws concerning providing details such as postal addresses and phone numbers etc if ofcom wont budge on this it might be worth speaking to the citizens advice bureau who might put you onto someone who can help in some way, because if this ISP is anything like Fast4 eventually someone will be on your doorstep with a letter saying they are debt collectors...

Ooops sorry about the typos before, that is just great about the debt collectors that is just not what I need. Especially considering I have been trying for months to get out of the contract.

thanks for your advice about citizen advice bureau because Ofcom has been no help whatso ever, I even told them about there not being any phone number and they said they weren't allowed to do that and am I sure there is one.

It makes me mad that BT can't give me a MAC code but they are in a catch22 position, I wish that Ofcom would do their job properly.

Sponsored Links
tbh l dont know how much my advice will help but its possible it may lead to resolution plus its better than doing nothing especially when you are the one in the right.

with note to debt collectors, its purely speculation but it has been known to happen to ppl even when the billing errors are not the customers fault.

Keep records, dated screenshots and even a picture/log of this topic as it may all help if that ever happens. You should also try contacting Trading Standards and the Office of Fair trading, though you may need some postal address and telephone contact details for the ISP so they can investigate. Vanishing ISP's are indeed a bit problematic to say the least. Out of interest, can you still connect to the broadband service?

I’ll run a quick news story on it too; perhaps other people will have more information about their fate. The key thing to find out is who supplier Sidnet’s broadband because they will be your contact for a mac code, indeed despite BT’s denials they should also be able to help in this situation and I’m saddened that they didn’t.

Maybe you should mail the ISPA too because I’m sure Sidnet use to be members.

Yes I can still connect to broadband but at 135k down and 335k up. I am sure they buy from BT because I have a BT IP address.

I contacted ISPA about 6 times around August time and received no answer from them. But thanks for your advice about Trading Standards

Hmm I noticed the connection IP mentions 'broadbandscope.com', though there is no website there but it does mention this in the whois:

BT Group plc
HWP481
PO Box 234
Edinburgh, EH12 9UR
UK

I'm still unsure why BT aren't helping but it's difficult to investigate as we don't have much detail on Sidnet, they never did much to promote themselves.

Sponsored Links
Erm!

Hi,
I don't know if this helps but I'm a godaddy partner for domain names via www.qsdomains.co.uk and noticed that SidnetDSL.co.uk had been registered by a godaddy reseller.

Domain whois:
Registrant/ administrative contact:
NIKOLAOS SIDIROPOULOS
M.ASIAS 13
PTOLEMAIDA, 50200
Greece
Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: SIDNETDSL.CO.UK
Created on: 06-Dec-07
Expires on: 06-Dec-09
Last Updated on:

With Godaddy the administrative contact must be the billing details for the card holder who registered the domain, unless the domain owner has changed the details after registration.

So it appears the owner is Greek and was trading via a VISP scheme in the UK, or I may be wrong and just assuming.

Three things I can suggest:
1. If you still have broadband access via sidnet do some tracert’s to try and determine which ISP Sidnet was using if they where a reseller, I would then start dialog with the ISP who supplied the service to Sidnet. In some cases the RELM that the VISP uses for the broadband usernames and reverse DNS i.e (@radsl.com) can be a giveaway to what ISP the reseller was using. Another dead giveaway is the URL for the control panel or sign-up system for the reseller who often use a shared domain name.

2. Keep hold of everything, from previous invoices, screenshots, any support/sales emails you have.

3. Last ditch attempt contact BT Wholesale sometimes I’ve found digging on the phone can lead to further information or assistance from them.
If all else fails get your line ceased for broadband, I know this is not ideal but can be the only alternative in these situations, maybe one of your neighbours wouldn’t mind you using their WiFi for a short while until you resolve your issues.

I wouldn’t worry about debt collectors or anything like that, it’s a clear cut case that this reseller has closed up shop for whatever reason especially when they haven’t renewed their domain name, it’s more a case of the VISP chasing the reseller for unpaid invoices.

Hope this helps, sorry if anyone else has covered these points while I was spell checking mine! :)

Erm! more info

Further information:

Broadbandscope.com as per Mark's info, I believe used fish.co.uk for it's webmail system (http://webmail.fish.co.uk/src/login.php)

Registrant:
Dayline Enterprises Limited

Registrant's address:
Thomas Edge House,Tunnell Street, St Helier, Jersey
St Helier
Jersey
JE2 4LU
JE

And...
Fish.co.uk uses http://www.phonecoop.com/ for DNS and name servers, who seem to offer a VISP/Broadband reseller service!
Are the two linked?

I am also caught up in the disappearance of Sidnet. Like the original poster I still have a service, though World Pay stopped collecting payments months ago.I do not know who is providing the service now, and am unable to get a response from Sidnet. There web site no longer seems to be working and I have no other way of contacting them. I am putting the money aside due to them, and would welcome the opportunity to pay my debt and move to another supplier. I do not understand some of the advice given by previous posters as it was "way over my head" and far too technical.I am also dismayed that BT Wholesale and OFCOM seem powerless to sort out this situation.
All I want...is to pay up and move on...to a wiser choice of supplier.

Additional Info

With the help of my son I have done a Trace route and it leads back to broadbandscope.com ...(like a previous poster)..should I contact them? I really don't know what to do, but doing nothing doesn't seem like much of an option. Even if I am getting a "free" service right now, I'm just not comfortable with that.

Sponsored Links
Give the BT tags on the line number a ring explain to them your issue and that you would like to find out who exactly has your line as you are having problems contacting Sidnet.

Give the BT tags on the line number a ring explain to them your issue and that you would like to find out who exactly has your line as you are having problems contacting Sidnet.

See...this is what I mean by"over my head" comment. I'm sure this technical speak makes perfect sense, but being a non techy type it's not helpful, however well intentioned. For instance...
What are "BT Tags"?
How do I contact them? via BT Wholesale?
Doesn't the trace tell me who has my line and is providing the service?

Hi,

It really is a lot easier than this and you don't have to change names on BT bills or disconnect phones services.

All you have to do is call 0800 169 0934 (Option 1) which is the BT Wholesale Marker removal line that end users can call.
Taken from another thread on ISPreview but I have been told it is option 2 not 1

Last edited:
It may be pure co-incedence but I am unable to connect to the internet from home since I last posted.My service was apparently terminated with out warning, or any form of contact from my supplier.I will give the BT Wholesale number a call, firstly to find out if a cease has been put on my line and secondly as I really don't know what else to do!
It's at times like this I really appreciate my local library and it's internet access service.

I called BT Wholesale and discovered that a cease had been placed on my line.This was done without notice or contact of any kind.I was therefore unable to migrate to another service, and so have to pay to have ADSL re-installed on my line (£50)
I have signed up with a "Top Ten" company as reviewed by this site.I am hopeful of a better standard of customer service, and a better service in general.

Sponsored Links
Hi I have also had my service disconnected (I am the person who first made topic) now from BT but they replied back to one of my emails and this is the response.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yes I can confirm that your SP is no longer - why you have not been informed of this is beyond me.

You may want to start searching for a new communications provider.

If you have any issues regarding tags/markers/incompatible products on your line, that will be remnants of Sidnet's service - you will have to call 0800 1699576 to clear these before placing a new broadband order with another CP.

Best of luck with this, and I apologise for your inconvenience.

If you have any problems, get back to me on this and I will do my best to assist.

Regards,

BT Wholesale

In the hopefully unlikely event that anyone should come after you for payment, remember to deduct the cost of re-activation with a new ISP from what you owed sidnet. I would also suggest deducting any dial-up ISP costs encurred while you wait to be re-connected, and the subscription cost from the point that your request for a MAC became overdue in breach of the comunications act, as I would consider that the point the contract ended. And don't pay anything unless you are satisfied that the collection agency is legally entitled to recover the money.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules