Sponsored Links

SIM Cards for Testing Network Speeds

andyh747

Hi All,

I'm just starting out on a business venture installing mobile broadband for customers who can't get decent landline/fibre connections.
I've been using PAYG SIM cards from each network to test for signal and speed during site surveys but am burning through those quite quickly and it's getting expensive.
Is there any alternative to this apart from having a monthly contract with each network provider? Do the networks offer any sort of testing SIMs for businesses such as mine to carry out survey work?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Also for businesses I suppose either a dual sim router or 2 routers working in bridge mode with the two best carriers would be worthwhile?

Yes that would probably be a good idea. However I like to test with various antenna/router combinations as often the results vary wildly between devices. That means I am often swapping SIM cards in and out of different devices. It's a good option though.

Three do a free sim card with a monthly 250mb free allowance, there look to be no limit on the number per household but no doubt there is one but until you try. You could register one per potential customer which would get round any limits and they get it delivered to their house.

Yes I have one of those from Three. The 200MB doesn’t last long but enough for a few tests depending on speed achieved. Having one per customer might be a good workaround.

Sponsored Links
You can buy preloaded SIMs for most networks? for example a 6GB sim for EE is £15 and lasts 3 months.

EE isn't a problem as their data bundles are good value. Three on the other hand are much more expensive for their data packs and they only last 30 days.

EE isn't a problem as their data bundles are good value. Three on the other hand are much more expensive for their data packs and they only last 30 days.
You could get a sim on smarty as they run on the three network and are cheaper

Sponsored Links
Be cautious with MVNOs and/or PAYG - sometimes they are limited in terms of what frequency bands are available to them compared to the MNO they use and/or PAYM SIM.

EE is one example, they don't allow MVNOs (Virgin/Asda) access to B20, and even deny their own PAYG SIMs access to B20 too (or used to at least)

Thanks for that Gavin. More useful information. Currently using a SIM for EE direct from them and this has had no issues. Worth knowing though.

Are they allowed to do that?
It would appear so. In most areas it may not be noticed, but if you live in a rural area served by a mast that only has B20, it is. Apparently it's to ensure that mobile phone access remains available to those that need it, and the service isn't overwhelmed by mobile routers being connected 24/7.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules