Sponsored Links

Sipgate VS unlimted SIM card?

LeeWillRockYou

Pro Member
I have 4g internet through Lebara using a TP Link M200 router. It doesn't feature a telephone port to use my old landline telephone for VOIP.

I do have an old Huawei B331 router that does have a telephone port. I have used a spare EE PAYG sim card and connected my phone and it works.

But I'd like to either use my unlimited Lebara SIM to run the telephone or setup my Sipgate account.

I really struggled to setup my Sipgate account last night, it was beyond me. I got the WLAN to connect the two routers together but actually activating or registering the sip account on the router didn't get me anywhere.

What advantages would using Sipgate over the unlimted Labara SIM have? I don't think I'd ever add credit to the Sipgate account, only use it to receive calls.

This phone is ultimately going to be used as an emergency landline to call emergency services, etc. But it would also be nice to have a backup general phone available.

I hope I explained my situation well enough?

I’ve personally used Sipgate Basic for quite a few years. Highly recommend.

do you have a VoIP phone to use with sipgate?

If I understand correctly: you want to set up sipgate with your old Huawei router and bridge the two networks together.

I don’t think that’s going to be possible. Your best bet would to use that B331 router if the speeds are acceptable with your current SIM card, or use your current router and purchase an ‘VOIP ATA adapter’ (cheap enough on eBay). The ata adapter is a dedicated voip device, you’d just plug it into your router and plug your phone into the ata adapter. Simple one and done setup and that way it’d continue working even if you changed providers etc.

Thanks for the reply.

I just thought I'd save a few pennies and put an old router to use. I don't really want to use the Huawei as my main router either.

I wonder why I couldn't bridge them in this way? I'd like to add that my understanding of what a bridge is, is probably wrong haha. I did establish a working internet connection between the main router and the old one. Wouldn't the Huawei just think it was the main router in a way and establish connection with the VOIP service?

I don't have a VOIP phone, I've only just signed up with a basic Sipgate account to try this out. I have the account setup but the details I had to input such as IP addresses and such were named differently in the setup guides compared to my router.
But as I understand it, you only have to use Sipgate.co.uk and your username and password by which I mean there's not much I could do wrong.

I've looked at those adapters, and I will probably end up getting one of those to simplify the whole thing but as I said, just wanted to try and put that router to use, if I could.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
If none of the Sipgate guides on their website cover your router then you either have to use a non applicable guide and try to use those settings where the setting descriptions match or get an adapter with a Sipgate guide page. I have done both and got it working on a B525 but the Huawei router firmware has to has a VOIP setup page.

If you set the LAN port of the B311 to WAN only and connect it to your router, it may work that way. I don’t think it would work wirelessly.

Once that’s done, you should be able to use VoIP if it supports using SIP. For the VoIP settings if you can’t get it to work, post screenshots of the settings pages for VoIP.

Just in case you didn't manage to sort this.

Sipgate doesn't care about your SIM card, all it needs is internet.
You don't need to make any changes to your TP Link M200*.
Set up your Huawei B311's settings to work with your sipgate account, test it again using its own PAYG SIM to make sure the sipgate part is working.

Once working, next, remove the PAYG sim and connect the Huawei B311 to the TP Link M200 with an ethernet cable, making sure to use the WAN port on the B311.
It might work immediately.

Note that the IP address to access the Huawei B311 will change, because it will be getting its IP address from the TP Link M200
Log in to the TP Link M200 and look at the devices list to find the Huawei B311's IP.
Use that in a browser to access the Huawei B311 admin page.
Now you have to ensure that only one DHCP server is running. Routers have these on by default, so switch off the DHCP server on the B311 to avoid problems in future.
I'd also suggest switching off its WiFi.

Finally, change the B311 to operate in "bridge mode". That should be enough, but check sipgate guides re opening ports if not.
* The only changes to the M200 might be to open ports on it.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules