Sponsored Links

Sky 17Mb Unlimited vs. BT 17Mb Unlimited?

I am going to be switching or updating my ISP soon, and at the moment I am on Sky 17Mb, but it has a 30GB cap I think, correct me if I am wrong it might be higher or lower. I have had this package for 2 years and I have been incredibly satisfied, it's only ten pounds a month and that's without a phone. I am a heavy gamer and the only downside that I've had is the cap, I would usually assume that if you go above the monthly cap the internet service would stop, but instead when I am in games and I hit my cap the ping (latency) just starts freaking out, my bandwidth lowers, it jitters, I think I get major packet loss since I get tons of stuttering and textures take ages to load. There is primarily two people in the house that use the internet, that is me and my brother, and we only play games. The connection is quite reliable and strong for us since we can play in Battlefield 4 full-32 player servers for hours on end without any lag spikes or stutters and the ping sits stable most of time when we connect to European servers at about an average of 40 ms. Jitter, latency, packet loss are all fine when connected to optimal servers for our location (European) but then when the cap happens it freaks out. So are main goal is to get an unlimited package, and the BT 17Mb Unlimted or Sky 17Mb unlimited looks good to me, but I am worried about throttling and traffic management, I have heard BT are notorious for it even though they say they don't throttle, another downside for BT, is the customer service is herendous, the calls are in India who barely know how to speak English. But the Sky customer service are amazing, have never had a problem with them, every complaint from me has always been fixed successfully and without any hassle. I know that Sky do throttle a little bit but they are nowhere near as bad as BT.

So in conclusion any suggestions of who should I pick who is best for my needs? I am leaning more towards the Sky package since the customer service is reliable, they're known to not throttle as bad and they are ALOT cheaper than BT.

BT's unlimited services aren't supposed to impose aggressive throttling any more, although their capped options do. Anyway out of the two I'd pick Sky as they get fewer complaints and actually rate quite well for a big ISP.

But I have a big question mark about this because you're on Sky's capped package, which is only ever offered to those who are not yet within reach of their unbundled (LLU) network.

The problem is that you can only get Sky Unlimited when you're covered by that network and Sky hasn't expanded much in the last couple of years, so are you sure you're covered? Might be a good idea to check via their website or let us know your postcode and we'll look.

BT's unlimited services aren't supposed to impose aggressive throttling any more, although their capped options do. Anyway out of the two I'd pick Sky as they get fewer complaints and actually rate quite well for a big ISP.

But I have a big question mark about this because you're on Sky's capped package, which is only ever offered to those who are not yet within reach of their unbundled (LLU) network.

The problem is that you can only get Sky Unlimited when you're covered by that network and Sky hasn't expanded much in the last couple of years, so are you sure you're covered? Might be a good idea to check via their website or let us know your postcode and we'll look.

My postcode is PR9 7ED.

Thanks for replying.

Sponsored Links
The area does seem to support LLU and 21CN services, so Sky Broadband Unlimited is probably the best bet. I can only assume that at the time you first went with Sky their network probably didn't reach that far.

The area does seem to support LLU and 21CN services, so Sky Broadband Unlimited is probably the best bet. I can only assume that at the time you first went with Sky their network probably didn't reach that far.

Ok thanks for the help.

Sky 17Mb Unlimited it is.

Ok thanks for the help.

Sky 17Mb Unlimited it is.

Hello

Your postcode says you're ready for fibre and so for £10 more (under negotation with sky to get a deal) you could be on Fibre Pro for £20 a month and there is capacity on your cabinet according to the checkers.

Fibre Pro is £30 a month but I get it for £20 and nearly everyone I know who has had a verbal sales chat with Sky is also getting it for £20 a month, therefore I can't see any reason why you couldn't wangle that.

Failing that they currently have offers on the standard fibre

Fibre is the way to go and I have had it for 2 years and wouldn't change

I also rate Sky as one of the better broadband providers with UK call centres who listen to what you want and act on it. I can't fault them.

Hello

Your postcode says you're ready for fibre and so for £10 more (under negotation with sky to get a deal) you could be on Fibre Pro for £20 a month and there is capacity on your cabinet according to the checkers.

Fibre Pro is £30 a month but I get it for £20 and nearly everyone I know who has had a verbal sales chat with Sky is also getting it for £20 a month, therefore I can't see any reason why you couldn't wangle that.

Failing that they currently have offers on the standard fibre

Fibre is the way to go and I have had it for 2 years and wouldn't change

I also rate Sky as one of the better broadband providers with UK call centres who listen to what you want and act on it. I can't fault them.

Yes recently I have just made a decision to get rid of my home landline, so I can afford the Sky Fibre Pro Unlimited, which I am now going to be purchasing :).

Also, do Sky allow you to change routers? Preferably the Asus RT-AC66U, speaking of that will a Asus RT-AC66U connected to a openreach fibre modem allow me to connect to my broadband from Sky? I know Sky will not help you with setting up a third-party router but is it possible to connect to the Sky broadband with that equipment?

EDIT: I have also heard that you can call Sky and ask them to tune your connection for gaming, and people have reported that it lowed there ping time in half, is this true? It seems very intriguing and if this is true I would love to have them tune my connection for gaming, primarily because that is all I do.

Thanks for your help, Will.

Sponsored Links

I have just seen very good reviews about Zen Internet and Aquiss, apparently they are known to be good with latency, jitter, packet loss and stability for gaming. But also Sky is extremely good for those aspects, I know alot of gamers in the UK use Aquiss, and they report it to be flawless, stable and very low latency

Also, how good is Zen or Aquiss's broadband when under lots of heavy load? Meaning when using a lot of bandwidth and the client is causing a lot of traffic, such as a full on Battlefield 4 32-player match with the largest map on Conquest, tanks, helicopters and vehicles, there is going to be a lot of load on the connection due to all of those packets and all of that traffic, which may cause drop-outs and lag spikes if Zen or Aquiss's line isn't strong enough for the client, that's what I want to find out about them, do they have a strong and fast line?. As well as do they have a reliable connection, as in while you are doing the activity is the connection between you and their line reliable? And if the provider allows you to change to a third party router that would be ideal.

Anyway, I don't even know if I can get Zen or Aquiss in my area.

What are your thoughts on Zen Internet or Aquiss compared to Sky?

Last edited:
MY Aquiss fibre is pretty stable, speed tests at various times of the day always give me low pings and speeds in the high 60s/low 70s (variation mostly due to WiFi interference - which is pretty bad around here).

I dont test via the ethernet connection often, (I must get around to completing the ethernet network around the house), but the few I have done suggest the speed is rock-solid at 77/78Mbps and 19Mbps up.

MY Aquiss fibre is pretty stable, speed tests at various times of the day always give me low pings and speeds in the high 60s/low 70s (variation mostly due to WiFi interference - which is pretty bad around here).

I dont test via the ethernet connection often, (I must get around to completing the ethernet network around the house), but the few I have done suggest the speed is rock-solid at 77/78Mbps and 19Mbps up.

Well Aquiss is rather on the expensive side for me but I can afford their 19Mbps DSL broadband, which also includes a Gaming Mode for lower latency. Should I go for Sky Fibre 38Mbps (76Mbps isn't available in my area yet) or Aquiss Family Premium Unlimited Broadband, 19Mbps down, 1.3 Mbps up?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules