Sponsored Links

Sky > Zen - 7 quick questions I have please , thanks for any help

T962

Casual Member
HI, I have emailed Zen a few times and struggling to get clarification on a few things
feeling a bit like there's more interested in getting me to sign up without allaying my worries

I am taking the plunge from moving to Sky's broadband (I was a Be Customer who kept their static IP address, to upgrade to Sky Fibre i lose the Static IP address,
not a bad service from Sky with 20meg download speeds has serviced me well. But the thought of faster fibre for what i am paying now (£45 a month including line and calls) is tempting me away and signing up for Zen's Unlimited Fibre 2with Phone line rental (12 month contract)

I was with Zen many years ago and had good service and good internet
i've asked some questions and not getting solid responses to allay my worries of being without service as it transfers over, so thought i would pose my questions here

I am with Sky at the minute with their ADSL2 broadband , using a Tp-link router (N600)
I understand the N600 won't work with Fibre, so am considering this
TP-LINK Archer VR2100 Advanced Wi-Fi Modem Router Wi-Fi AC2100 Mbps, VDSL/ADSL/Fibre/FTTH, mu-mimo 4 Stream, 1 USB

I also want to move my phone line / calls to Zen as well

At present on my wall i have a splitter coming out of the socket, two RJ11 cables (one going into phone base, servicing wireless handsets) and the other going into my trusty TP link)

My questions are (if anyone can help!!)

1. As i move over to Fibre will it still be two RJ11's (Zen say they have checked my line and its fine for a remote takeover with no engineer visit needed - yippee!) :)
one RJ11 still into my phone line and a RJ11 going into the new router?
Really sorry if this is a dumb question, i haven't had Fibre before so wondered if its new cables?
They are saying I will get 60down and 20 up (is this a lowest case estimate? Some speed checkers online have me as getting higher

2. is the Archer VR 2100 router Ok with what I am needing (zen won't comment on third party devices

3. I am happy inputting my own IP addresses , once i get these is it all out the box and up and running?

4. Is "unlimited" unlimited with Zen?

5. Static IP address - is this reliable? (I run CCTV cameras)

6. Are their any usage caps/ traffic routing going on from anyones experience. I work in web design so I am FTPing a lot and with three kids its a busy household ! (All moaning their internet is too slow at present. Any experience welcomed please, I am a bit worried about some reviews but conscious reviews can be manipulated .

7. Do i need to contact sky ? I am out of contract (zen say i don't need too) On the day is it a case of getting the new router out and inputting IP addresses ?

They said they provide their own router, but i am hoping to get better results with a TP-lInk
any other router recommendations around the £100 mark welcomed

1. Basically nothing much changes if this is an ADSL to FTTC (VDSL) switch, you just plug everything into the same ports and it should be fine.

2. Zen don't do anything unusual and so long as they're happy to release the DSL connection details (inc. username and password) then I can't see why there should be any problems.

3. I don't quite follow this question. The Static IP that Zen supply will be active as soon as the connection goes live and the router generally manages IPs on your local network automatically.

4. So far as I'm aware, yes.

5. In the sense that it's a static IP address and never changes, then yes. I'm not sure what other gauge of reliability there would be for an address :).

6. Effectively answered for no.4 above. Not aware of any specific limits with Zen but then very few ISPs have big caveats on unlimited policies now.

7. The product you are switching means it should be a simple migration, where you start the process with Zen and everything else is handled automatically. This article gives you a bit more background (it's a little out of date but in your case the process is still relevant):

As for the router. The TP Link you propose should be more than fine, but it may be worth just trying Zen's own kit first since they use a pretty solid brand.

Really appreciate your help Mark
You have allayed my worries

! I read on another thread that someone recently posted that their router was providing drops outs and didn't want to have the same issue. I like the look of the Three Aerials in the hope it enhances wifi signal on the TP-link

Do Zen release the DSL connection details (inc. username and password normally?

thanks for your help again, the link was good too

Sponsored Links
1. All the cabling is the same it just requires a router which will support VDSL.

2. The Fritzbox we supply is a very good router

3. Not sure what you mean by this but the router will always get the static IP and then you will set up your internal network, the router will do DHCP so theres no real need to manually set things unless you have special requirements

4. Yes it is, we dont throttle or have any cap at all

5. You will always have the same IP

6. No usage caps, could you expand on the routing question please.

7. I dont know about the contacting Sky part, if you use our router its just a case of plugging it in and letting it auto configure itself (takes about 5 mins) you dont need to input the IP's.

If you do require your user details to use your own router they are in the portal also we have no problem giving them to if you call in.

HI LEE
Thank you for your reply, Nice to see you on here, together with Mark J I think thats all my worries done

Your welcome, any problems let me know or if you have any further questions

HI Lee
I have done the sign up tonight and joined after a lot of wavering, but encouraged by your reply above !

it took my direct debit details then wanted me to register, wouldn't accept my email address, then it wouldn't accept an alternative so i just got this

I don't know where i am now, if ive signed up or not, but your website is throwing up an error "An error has occurred" notification

Hope you can help

Sponsored Links
Interesting, I've had a couple of other people mention problems when ordering via Zen's site recently. I advised changing browsers and disabling ad blocks / privacy mode etc. both times but the same issues came back.

Ive emailed Zen and not heard anything back unfortunately, ive tried chrome and safari

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules