Sponsored

Slow internet - bloody AOL

kevhamster

Casual Member
My AOL speeds today are just painfully slow.

Just done a test on www.speedtest.net, and my results are:
Download: 233 kb/s
Upload: 297 kb/s

So not only is my connection stupidly slow, my upload speed is actually faster than my download speed. What's up with that?!

I'm on AOL's Platinum package, and usually get speeds 3-4 mb/s.

Is anybody else facing this kind of problem?

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
maybe youll be sent a letter like l had.. they have a 60GB cap which the consider unlimited.. so if your not on a LLU connection and passed that amount of data then you can expect the boot from their network (in fact the tech support/cancellations line told me they dont give a rats about customers on LLU since its costs them less they just wanna get rid of ipstream based customers, however l dont think they will say that on the record again)

heres the letter l got
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/images3/misc/aol1.jpg

on a side note lm not the only one who uses the net so l cannot tell the others how to use it.. l have since moved provider tho.

kevhamster

Casual Member
I'm not an overly heavy user these days, and definitely don't use anywhere near 60GB a month.

Anyway, I'm awaiting a call from their 'technical team' (and I use that term quity loosely) who are apparently going to test my line. I'm sure they'll tell me that I should be getting 8meg though!

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
l wouldnt hold your breath on a call sadly, lve requested the same thing twice before sad to say but its unlikely any ISP will call back (however l put this in perspective of the big names that can afford to loose a few customers)

kevhamster

Casual Member
l wouldnt hold your breath on a call sadly, lve requested the same thing twice before sad to say but its unlikely any ISP will call back (however l put this in perspective of the big names that can afford to loose a few customers)
Shockingly, I did get a call back. Apparently a test on the line has detected a fault at BT's end, although from what I hear, blaming BT is a standard ISP response.

They couldn't say what the fault was, or how long it would take to resolve it.

Ah well, hopefully it'll be sorted soon. The internet is no fun with what is essentially a 256k connection (although I'm not even quite getting that at the moment!).

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
omg what did you have to do to get them to phone back? thats never happened before lol maybe you caught one of the better techs this time or someone from a UK call centre

kevhamster

Casual Member
omg what did you have to do to get them to phone back? thats never happened before lol maybe you caught one of the better techs this time or someone from a UK call centre

I didn't do anything in particular, but after previous calls they probably have a note on my file saying something like 'right stroppy git, do not upset!'. And it was definitely the Indian call centre as well.

geordiekev

Casual Member
Same With Me

I am with DST (but not for long) during the evenings I cannot even get on the internet. They are beginning to be a total shower.

kevhamster

Casual Member
I've just reinstalled my router, and set up a new network key, and I'm now getting close to a 2mbps connection. Not quite what I managed before, but far better than the 128-256k speeds I was getting.

This suggests that either I just needed to reinstall, or that someone had hacked my security and was using my connection.

macp

Casual Member
I have finally decided to move from AOL after months of complaining about slow speeds.I only get the speeds I am paying for very early morning and early mornings at the weekend but in between I dont even get half a meg.

I finally got a call from one of their Irish guys members of staff who admitted they were throttling me and were over subscribed.

onionsj

I finally got a call from one of their Irish guys members of staff who admitted they were throttling me and were over subscribed.

How did you manage this? I can only get the indian call centre. How did you get them to admit the throttle? I'm pretty sure that's happening to me!

My download speed has dropped from 3Mb to 0.2-0.5 gradually over the last couple of months.. now it's impossible to view any tv or video!

I've had them try to say it's my filters that are too old, to that I need to monitor for a few days - I've been monitoring for weeks!!

Any advise from you experience appreciated... I'm on the verge of walking too....

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Had a few tell me they did tests on this site which will show if your ISP is throttling your connection. I have tried it but since my ISP isn't throttling my connection I can't test it.

I always pass as not throttled.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2555)
  2. FTTP (2300)
  3. FTTC (1688)
  4. Building Digital UK (1627)
  5. Politics (1462)
  6. Openreach (1445)
  7. Business (1277)
  8. FTTH (1131)
  9. Statistics (1119)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1070)
  11. Fibre Optic (987)
  12. Wireless Internet (932)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (931)
  14. 4G (927)
  15. Virgin Media (876)
  16. EE (607)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (588)
  19. Vodafone (543)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules