Sponsored Links

Slow internet connection/Download speeds with Huawei B535

I think worries about the 1TB/12 devices limit are unnecessary - at worst they will suggest you move to a more "suitable" product. I have an unlimited EE SIM on a business tariff which has no download or device limit, and it costs less than than the individual contract. So moving you to a business deal could save you money!

They can define whatever they like and include clauses as part of their Ts&Cs. While not a law, it's the stipulations you have to agree to when signing up to being their customer.

Then I'm confused that you said you locked to B3 but you said you didn't get any connection - that's why I thought you were only getting B20

Yes it is confusing. If I lock it to only B3, nothing seems to work. If I don't lock it, it works, but says it's connecting to B3. Perhaps its just how the router is working, or the app I'm using isn't doing what it says.

The app says different things in those fields whilst locked though.

Locked:
Band: B3-1800Mhz F/TDD: 1800

Unlocked:
Band: B3-1800Mhz F/TDD: 80800C5

When locked, I cannot browse the internet. When unlocked, though showing the same band, I can. I assume there is some aggregation going on, that the app is not telling me, unless the F/TDD is telling me that, though I do not know how to understand the value.

When I select all available bands in the app and then apply them, only the following bands remain selected:

B1, B3, B7, B8, B20, B28, B38.

Curiously now my F/TDD is stating 20080800C5

I think perhaps all of this is a red herring anyway

OK Router update, TP-Link MR6400. It did not improve things. In fact, it made them much worse. It was less stable, browsing was slower. Its going back.

Other info today, on closer inspection, my Router SIM *is* a multi-sim, so I popped it down to nano size and tested it in my phone, and again put my phone SIM in the router.

Results, both SIMs in my phone work exactly as expected. Both SIMs in both routers work appallingly UNLESS I connect through a VPN from my endpoint device.

This suggests to me that this *IS* a problem with the DPI as previously suggested, affecting devices daisychained to the internet. I'm going to contact Three and see what they say.

The F/TDD values reported by HuaCtrl are Hex values that are a representation the combinations of bands selected used by the router as its configuration.
For example, the F/TDD value for me shows 1A0880800D5, but my router supports more bands than the B535.

I'm not sure why it shows [1800] when locked though, I'd have expected it to show 80800C5 too. That it appears the app is passing [1800] (as hex) through as the value for the router to use is probably why its breaking, once the hex 'decrypted' it's not a valid band for it to use, and so results in no connection.

Do you see '4G+' reported on the router UI home webpage? Since you say you sometimes see up to 120Mbps then you do get 4G+? I think you'd max out somewhere in the 60-80 range if not (assuming v.low users on the mast)

The F/TDD values reported by HuaCtrl are Hex values that are a representation the combinations of bands selected used by the router as its configuration.
For example, the F/TDD value for me shows 1A0880800D5, but my router supports more bands than the B535.

I'm not sure why it shows [1800] when locked though, I'd have expected it to show 80800C5 too. That it appears the app is passing [1800] (as hex) through as the value for the router to use is probably why its breaking, once the hex 'decrypted' it's not a valid band for it to use, and so results in no connection.

Do you see '4G+' reported on the router UI home webpage? Since you say you sometimes see up to 120Mbps then you do get 4G+? I think you'd max out somewhere in the 60-80 range if not (assuming v.low users on the mast)

Yes, 4G+

OK, so yeah you're more than likely getting B3+1 aggregation delivering that up-to 120Mbps speed.

I wouldn't worry about trying to lock to a single band. Its unlikely to make any difference.

OK, so yeah you're more than likely getting B3+1 aggregation delivering that up-to 120Mbps speed.

I wouldn't worry about trying to lock to a single band. Its unlikely to make any difference.

Yeah agreed. I don't think anything I can do from this end will work unfortunately

This suggests to me that this *IS* a problem with the DPI as previously suggested, affecting devices daisychained to the internet. I'm going to contact Three and see what they say.

Wouldn't hold your breath for a response that's acceptable. The people in their call centres are quite nice but they can't do anything about the issues. Can't remember who but someone had got to the point of sending a complaint into ombudsman for similar issues but it's not going to magically improve anything.

I'm pretty salty about it, being honest. I've been a customer of Three for years and it's just tanked.

Wouldn't hold your breath for a response that's acceptable. The people in their call centres are quite nice but they can't do anything about the issues. Can't remember who but someone had got to the point of sending a complaint into ombudsman for similar issues but it's not going to magically improve anything.

I'm pretty salty about it, being honest. I've been a customer of Three for years and it's just tanked.

Nah I'm not holding out much hope. At least the first person suggested speaking to second line though, which is at least something.

this router has a glitch from time to time. be sure you've explicitly told it to not use 3g.

Menu -> Network Settings -> Mobile Network Searching -> Preferred Network Mode..

Set to 4G Only.

I've seen a few cases where it would jump between 4g/3g and screw with performance.

I use the same router for gaming, work etc. I'm right on the edge of signal and I get a stable ping (in game) of around 45 - 50.

Oh wow. my standard latency was between 50-60 ms, but in games on my playstation, it was typically about 70. I actually use my backup ADSL for gaming, as I get a solid 30 on that all day; as long as no one else is using it.

Hi, having read through all of the comments I just have a couple of questions but bear with me as I’m a fair novice!

I live in a small village that doesn’t have fibre options available and for the past year I’ve been on a standard internet set up through a telephone line and achieving(!) 16mb download and 0.9mb upload.

I’m currently on Virgin Mobile (EE) and am getting considerably faster speed test results - 40mb download and 17mb upload (whilst tethering my laptop) so am considering this 4G router with an EE based unlimited Sim.

The family mainly use the internet for Netflix/Prime and general surfing but I have started delivering virtual courses via Zoom and MS Teams due to the pandemic. At the minute the connection is fine but I do miss faster speeds, especially for uploading documents etc.

I don’t play online console/PC gaming but we all play games via tablets which have regular download updates.

Am I deluding myself considering this as an option for faster, consistent, speeds based on what I currently use the internet for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I cant speak for those other networks - but don't touch Three with a barge pole. 80mbps in February, problems started to arise on them preventing Xbox downloads (which they denied - but due to the widespread problem admitted it was them) now I'm sitting on average of 2-5mbps for well over the past month.

So many people are having problems with Three on this site alone, all looking for fixes that isn't theirs to fix, the problem being Three and they are denying the majority of their customers the service they are paying for.

I cant speak for those other networks - but don't touch Three with a barge pole. 80mbps in February, problems started to arise on them preventing Xbox downloads (which they denied - but due to the widespread problem admitted it was them) now I'm sitting on average of 2-5mbps for well over the past month.

So many people are having problems with Three on this site alone, all looking for fixes that isn't theirs to fix, the problem being Three and they are denying the majority of their customers the service they are paying for.
Yeah, I’ve certainly been put off Three looking at a few forums! Their reception is fairly poor in our area too. Kind of just wonder if I’ll be better off with the devil I know and stick with copper!

Yeah, I’ve certainly been put off Three looking at a few forums! Their reception is fairly poor in our area too. Kind of just wonder if I’ll be better off with the devil I know and stick with copper!

Considering I left the copper lines for the promise of high speeds and while it lasted a few months with Three 50-70mbps through November - March, it dropped to 25mbps in April, then down to 500kb in June for a week now sitting 2-5mbps - I'm back to the copper speeds now with added 10 second waits for sites to load and having to hit refresh more often. So often my devices move to 144p - in February/March it would often be 2160p on my devices that supported it automatically - shocking really - at this point the service is terrible.

But my reception isn't poor - I'm getting full bars and my phone is 4GLTE and so is my router registering it. The speed is gone.

I still get good speeds from Three but mine is a shared EE/Three mast and very rural. 4km away and get 50mb down in peak periods. But I must be an exception going by all the other posts, if someone local can confirm good speeds then use Three but otherwise go elsewhere. Seeing as you do not get a good Three signal then leave well alone.

I still get good speeds from Three but mine is a shared EE/Three mast and very rural. 4km away and get 50mb down in peak periods. But I must be an exception going by all the other posts, if someone local can confirm good speeds then use Three but otherwise go elsewhere. Seeing as you do not get a good Three signal then leave well alone.

You seem to be one of a few getting something good currently - mine is also very rural - how long have you been with them? It seems once you stay with them for a certain length of time they hit the kill switch.

I have full 4G lte signal, was getting 50-70+ on average until April but has since tanked, 2-9mbps now, terrible website loading, frequent buffering - my old 2.5mbps landline was faster and suffered no issues.

Most users are in the same boat - don't speak too soon as Three will soon pick up your speed slipped through the net and throttle it also.

Threes response there is a problem with the mast in my area, their engineers are working on it and they don't know when they'll get it fixed. It's a joke.

how long have you been with them?

The Sim I use is still one of the 'Unlimited' legacy sims from maybe 8 years ago, I never got my unlimited download rescinded as at the time I hardly used it and a company paid the bill, the few times I did use it then it was in a rooted phone with an edited file that stopped Three seeing it being used as a Hotspot. Since then I stuck it in a router some 18 months ago and its still working.

Just having another quick read of the thread having received my ‘unlimited’ data EE pay monthly SIM (£35)- pop it in my phone- 35Mbps down, pop it in the B525 router and I can’t even connect to the internet. I have changed over the APN settings and left everything else on auto. Even saw 4G+ in the home screen once (not happened with Three before!)
Am I being blocked?
What am I missing!?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules