Sponsored

Smarthub2 and SkyQ minibox

Hashbrown

Recently took delivery of BT Smarthub2 and a mini disc for the Wi-fi guarantee. However my SkyQ mini boxes won’t connect (reports it cannot get an IP address) meaning the TV in the kitchen won’t work!
BT says “the new discs just don’t work well with SkyQ...”, so I have had to go back to my old Smarthub. Is there a fix that a non-techy like me can implement?

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Doesn't surprise me and I think the only way around that is to connect a Sky Q and a Sky Q Mini box to separate BT Complete Wifi Discs via Ethernet cables. Sky designed their kit for use with Sky hardware and did a bit of a hatchet job when extending it to work on third-party kit.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Also found this on Sky's forum with some extra info.

Hashbrown

Doesn't surprise me and I think the only way around that is to connect a Sky Q and a Sky Q Mini box to separate BT Complete Wifi Discs via Ethernet cables. Sky designed their kit for use with Sky hardware and did a bit of a hatchet job when extending it to work on third-party kit.
Thanks. The main SkyQ box works fine with the BT Complete Wi-fi discs (to answer the question posed by other respondee) it is just the sky mini boxes which won’t work. Personally I blame BT. Surely, if you sell kit aimed at delivering “complete Wi-fi” it should be capable of connecting to a wide array of hardware, from multiple manufacturers, around the house?

Glovepup

ULTIMATE Member
Thanks. The main SkyQ box works fine with the BT Complete Wi-fi discs (to answer the question posed by other respondee) it is just the sky mini boxes which won’t work. Personally I blame BT. Surely, if you sell kit aimed at delivering “complete Wi-fi” it should be capable of connecting to a wide array of hardware, from multiple manufacturers, around the house?
That's funny, I'd lay the blame at Sky's door in this case.

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
That's funny, I'd lay the blame at Sky's door in this case.
Its difficult to know where to lay the blame; BT cannot test everything for compatibility, and Sky are known to use non standard components/firmware sometimes - as do Virgin.
However, the BT equipment came out AFTER the Qmini, so unless Sky have changed something, BT should have had it as part of their tests.
it isnt as if Sky are an unknown, or bespoke brand.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: HYPER19
  • Vodafone £21.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Amazon Echo Plus
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Gift: None
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2428)
  2. FTTP (2036)
  3. FTTC (1612)
  4. Building Digital UK (1557)
  5. Politics (1355)
  6. Openreach (1351)
  7. Business (1190)
  8. Statistics (1054)
  9. FTTH (985)
  10. Mobile Broadband (982)
  11. Fibre Optic (948)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (891)
  13. Wireless Internet (872)
  14. 4G (857)
  15. Virgin Media (819)
  16. Sky Broadband (577)
  17. EE (564)
  18. TalkTalk (558)
  19. Vodafone (481)
  20. Security (399)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules