Sponsored Links

Smarthub2 and SkyQ minibox

Hashbrown

Recently took delivery of BT Smarthub2 and a mini disc for the Wi-fi guarantee. However my SkyQ mini boxes won’t connect (reports it cannot get an IP address) meaning the TV in the kitchen won’t work!
BT says “the new discs just don’t work well with SkyQ...”, so I have had to go back to my old Smarthub. Is there a fix that a non-techy like me can implement?

Doesn't surprise me and I think the only way around that is to connect a Sky Q and a Sky Q Mini box to separate BT Complete Wifi Discs via Ethernet cables. Sky designed their kit for use with Sky hardware and did a bit of a hatchet job when extending it to work on third-party kit.

Also found this on Sky's forum with some extra info.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't surprise me and I think the only way around that is to connect a Sky Q and a Sky Q Mini box to separate BT Complete Wifi Discs via Ethernet cables. Sky designed their kit for use with Sky hardware and did a bit of a hatchet job when extending it to work on third-party kit.
Thanks. The main SkyQ box works fine with the BT Complete Wi-fi discs (to answer the question posed by other respondee) it is just the sky mini boxes which won’t work. Personally I blame BT. Surely, if you sell kit aimed at delivering “complete Wi-fi” it should be capable of connecting to a wide array of hardware, from multiple manufacturers, around the house?

Thanks. The main SkyQ box works fine with the BT Complete Wi-fi discs (to answer the question posed by other respondee) it is just the sky mini boxes which won’t work. Personally I blame BT. Surely, if you sell kit aimed at delivering “complete Wi-fi” it should be capable of connecting to a wide array of hardware, from multiple manufacturers, around the house?

That's funny, I'd lay the blame at Sky's door in this case.

That's funny, I'd lay the blame at Sky's door in this case.
Its difficult to know where to lay the blame; BT cannot test everything for compatibility, and Sky are known to use non standard components/firmware sometimes - as do Virgin.
However, the BT equipment came out AFTER the Qmini, so unless Sky have changed something, BT should have had it as part of their tests.
it isnt as if Sky are an unknown, or bespoke brand.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules