Sponsored Links

Smarty 5G mobile wifi

coppercable

Casual Member
I am currently using my Smarty SIM in an old mobile router to get 4g wifi on the move.
I notice that 5g mobile broadband devices are very expensive, c. £400+. I am no expert on these tech things, but would it possible to buy, say, a cheap Motorola G50 5g phone and set it up to broadcast a mobile wifi tethering so I can get 5g on the move?

I am currently using my Smarty SIM in an old mobile router to get 4g wifi on the move.
I notice that 5g mobile broadband devices are very expensive, c. £400+. I am no expert on these tech things, but would it possible to buy, say, a cheap Motorola G50 5g phone and set it up to broadcast a mobile wifi tethering so I can get 5g on the move?
Yes that will work fine coppercable, until the battery runs out. ☺️

Sponsored Links
Just some caveats...
A mobile phone is obviously not designed as a router, so they're not as optimised and wifi hotspot throughput might be limited, especially for multiple connected devices. The hotspot might even be limited to just 2.4Ghz wifi depending on the device and software configuration available.

Just some caveats...
A mobile phone is obviously not designed as a router, so they're not as optimised and wifi hotspot throughput might be limited, especially for multiple connected devices. The hotspot might even be limited to just 2.4Ghz wifi depending on the device and software configuration available.
Oh you big party pooper Gavin, but quite right pointing out the possible downfalls. (y)

Sponsored Links
just a side note, the Moto G50 can do 5GHz tethering. I know because I've used one :)

Out of noseyness just checked my Samsung tablet and it can do both (not together), but my mobile Mi 10T Lite, I can't seem to find the setting to chose which frequency to use.:unsure:

Sponsored Links
Out of noseyness just checked my Samsung tablet and it can do both (not together), but my mobile Mi 10T Lite, I can't seem to find the setting to chose which frequency to use.:unsure:
hmm thats strange; my old xiaomi used to be able to do both and my current samsung can as well

hmm thats strange; my old xiaomi used to be able to do both and my current samsung can as well
Yeah don't see an option to select anything Bubbles, which is a bit odd.:rolleyes:

Well you all have got me thinking now with something else to research. The Samsung A22 5G, Moto G50 5G and the iPhone 13 Mini (WIFI 6) appear to be offering a Hotspot with Band C channels e.g 149, 161 etc by default. I thought these channels needed a licence in the UK?. Legacy devices that are 5Ghz appear to connect OK though. All three phones appear to drop to 2.4Ghz if maximum compatibility set.

Well you all have got me thinking now with something else to research. The Samsung A22 5G, Moto G50 5G and the iPhone 13 Mini (WIFI 6) appear to be offering a Hotspot with Band C channels e.g 149, 161 etc by default. I thought these channels needed a licence in the UK?. Legacy devices that are 5Ghz appear to connect OK though. All three phones appear to drop to 2.4Ghz if maximum compatibility set.
Is that the same for the normal iPhone 13?

I'm fortunate to have the Mini due to an obscure ID Mobile contract offer and the other two for USB tethering projects and provider/MNVO comparisons. The iPhone 13 uses the same chip Apple A15 Bionic/iOS15/802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax so I would presume yes it will be the same.

Intend to do more testing. I regard my iPhone Mini too expensive as a modem (other than benchmark) but an ideal replacement for my trusty old SE (1st gen) that has finally died after numerous battery transplants.

Sponsored Links
I think they can be used for personal only, not widespread areas. So from a mobile that reaches a few meters is fine: if it went much further you’d have a problem.

It looks like there is still no way on either iPhone iOS 15 or Android 11 to set the WIFI channel. They are supposed to have logic within them but the Moto and 13 mini appear to both select 161 by default. So even two appears to be a crowd.

Back to coppercable's original question, its not likely to be an issue in a car even with a few devices doing light work.

I will test a USB tether to a dual band travel router later today.

I have a Moto Edge 20 Lite phone. It allows selection of 2.4ghz or 5ghz but not specific channels. If 5ghz is selected it goes to channel 149 which is band C and only recently adopted in the UK. Neither my Asus wi-fi adapter for the desktop PC bought in 2019 nor my Samsung S2 tablet can see it. A cheap dongle bought from ebay can. The point being, if your client devices cannot receive wi-fi band C, i.e. above channel 140 then you might consider avoiding the Edge 20 Lite for wi-fi hotspotting. 2.4 ghz works but it's not very fast.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5443)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2226)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1954)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1648)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules