Sponsored

smtp Alternate Ports

The Yeti

Sending Emails - smtp Alternate Ports

I don't know whether other people get this problem, but recently I have had intermittent problems sending emails (receiving them is OK) through Outlook Express. Specifically an error message 0x800CCC0E. (Though weirdly not all the time).

Firstly, I'm with Breathe (well actually WHSmith.net, which became Breathe, & which are a subset of VISP). I also have more than one email account - the one with Breathe, plus also domains I have bought from 1&1 and which come with their own email addresses.

Now when I send mail using my Breathe email address (such as myemail@whsmith.net) there is no problem. But if I send using another email address (such as myemail@mydomain.net) when connected with Breathe, I get the above error message.

From investigation I believe that this is due to the fact that Breathe are blocking the sending of emails through Port 25 unless it is through their email server.

Does anyone know of any alternate SMTP (outgoing) Port Numbers ?

If you don't follow this, read below ...

Last edited:

The Yeti

OK - for those less technical.
All email is sent through a POP server. For my WHSmith it is pophost1.whsmith.net. And for the 1&1 domains I have it is pop.oneandone.co.uk They are received through a Port, usually 110.
Similarly all outgoing email is sent through a SMTP server. In this case the WHSmith is mailhost.whsmith.net, and the 1&1 is auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk . The port used is almost always Port 25.

You can see these by firing up your email program (Outlook Express in my case), goto Tools then Accounts. Highlight the account, click Properties. Click the Servers tag and you will see the POP & SMTP server addresses. If you click the Advanced tag, you will see the POP & SMTP Server Port Numbers.

Now, in order to try and block spam, ISPs have started the blocking the sending of emails unless they go through their SMTP server. So, when logged in using Breathe, I can't send an email using myemail@mydomain.net because it sends to the auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk server, not to the mailhost.whsmith.net server.

There are two workarounds -

1) Change the SMTP server in the Tools / Accounts / Properties from auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk to mailhost.whsmith.net. This is OK, but some ISPs (not sure whether Breathe/VISP is among them) restrict how many emais you can send per day, or the size of emails, or the total size of all emails sent (eg) only 100 emails per day, or maximum size of 2 MB per email, or maximum total of 50 MB sent. If you try and send a large email say greater than 2 MB, it will fail.
So that mp3 you want to send will go nowhere.

2) Change the Port Server Number to an alternative. If you know one.
So do you know the alternate SMTP Ports for Breath/VISP ? :p
Ports 2525 & 26 don't seem to have any effect.

Last edited:

Doctor_Wibble

Top Member
I think you'll need to speak to one-and-one about whether they provide an alternative port to use. They should be aware of ISPs blocking outbound smtp so there's a distinct possibility they already have something set up for affected users.

(10 seconds later)
Alternatively, the one-and-one Help => FAQ => E-mail and Webmail => Troubleshooting => Article #4 : "Port 25 is blocked by my ISP, how can I send e-mail?"
http://faq.oneandone.co.uk/email_and_webmail_getting_started_and_troubleshooting/troubleshooting/4.html

which tells you what port to use if port 25 is blocked by your ISP.

With any luck this will solve the problem.

Port 26 is classified by IANA as 'unassigned' and 2525 is reserved for "MS V-Worlds".

The Yeti

Many thanks !

My understanding was that it isn't 1&1 that blocks the port, but Breathe (as they are the one forcing me to send email through their server). Hence I didn't think to look at it from the 1&1 angle.

Anyway, after I posted the above, I continued my trawl through the internet, and also discovered that port 587 is an alternative. Apparently its a semi-official alternative - that is, it is recommended as an alternative but not necessarily taken up by ISPs. And isn't well publicised (and I'd've thought any self-respectivng spammer would be well aware of it anyway :shrug: )
When I changed the port number - presto - it worked !

I also came across suggestions for ports 2525 & 26 (and port 465) hence my mentioning them (they seem to be common alternatives offered by some ISPs).

BTW, my mail is sending OK this morning on Port 25 - it appears to related to the time of day !?!

Last edited:
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2508)
  2. FTTP (2188)
  3. FTTC (1656)
  4. Building Digital UK (1602)
  5. Politics (1421)
  6. Openreach (1415)
  7. Business (1234)
  8. Statistics (1097)
  9. FTTH (1070)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1034)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (895)
  15. Virgin Media (855)
  16. Sky Broadband (594)
  17. EE (590)
  18. TalkTalk (577)
  19. Vodafone (514)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules