Sponsored

smtp blocking mail with other return adresses

Should Titan / entanet allow use of this OE feature

• YES - allow return mail address you want.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • NO - only allow entadsl.com adresses

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

peterpiper

Casual Member
Have just moved to titan but not happy to find that I'm no longer able to send emails normally - or at least a way I've considered as normal for yeas (since Windows 3.1).

I get errors( in Outlook express) when attempting to send via smtp.entadsl.com:
"Server: 'smtp.entadsl.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 <support@titanadsl.co.uk>: Relay access denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC79"

It seems to be blocking any mail with a return addresses it doesn't like ie not ***@***.entadsl.com domain.

I need addresses that are both independent of isp and sensible to remember so we use a .me.uk domain just for mail forwarding. This has been possible with every other isp I've had experience of and I've set this OE feature up on machines for quite a few people over the years.

Titan/entanet t&c include:
2.4 We will provide you with transit and routing services for e-mail and general Internet access. We will (in consideration of the
Charges) deliver IP packets to the Customer network boundary only and will not be, or be held responsible for, the transit, routing
and delivery of IP packets to individual workstations on the Customer network.
But there seems no mention of any mail address restrictions.

Now waiting for a response from Titan.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I use Aquiss with no issues I also send and recive emails with more than my @user.aquiss.com, I cannot see a reason to block this as long as the smtp is locked to the IP ranges Titan are issued with mainly Entanets IP range.

Looking at your email address it would seem it is Entanet that control your emails as it is @user.entant perhaps a call to support to ask for an explination.

peterpiper

Casual Member
Kits, is aquiss another entanet reseller?

On aardvark's email faq (they also use pop.enta.net and smtp.enta.net) they give as a reason for error message "550 Relaying denied:
"This could be for two reasons either you are trying to send email through one of our servers while conected to another ISP or that your senders email address in your email client is a domain that is not hosted with us and thus will not be relayed. Our mail servers only allow outgoing email for our customers."
So I'm guessing that it might be the norm on entanet.

I've had a response from support:
"We need to add your email address’s to our smtp mail server so you may be able to send mail.
Please provide a list of email address’s that you wish to add to our smtp."

Now just waiting to see if they can manage ****@trev...me.uk
Looks hopefull but a bit long winded if I have to give all 10 return addresses we use!

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Yes Aquiss is another Entanet supplied ISP but handle their own billing , email servers.

DKTronics

Pro Member
I STILL, to this day, cannot get ANY confirmation emails from ANYONE. Just tried to get my imageshack account back, and as I guessed, I get nothing using my titan address. Yet, change the email to googlemail, and I get an INSTANT reply.
It's an absolute bloody joke, paranoia at it's worst, as Titan just block everything they think is spam.
If anyone's reading this thinking of signing up, if you value your email getting through, do NOT go with Titan, look for someone who can at least deliver a proper service.

peterpiper

Casual Member
Further response from support to say my wildcard email addresses and my single email adress had been added to their server and " can take up to 24 hours to become fully activated".
That was 10th Aug but still not working.

On 23rd support say matter "has now been forwarded to the programming team " and "We should have an update within 24 hours".

Not impressed so far, mail *nearly) always worked with PlusNet and Eclipse.
See if anything happens tomorrow....

Vivaciti

ISP Rep
Does sound odd, normally the mail relay setting is a quick and easy thing to do and does not take too long to do.
Has this now been sorted out?

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: SPRING19
  • Vodafone £21.00 (*23.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • TalkTalk £22.50
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £23.99 (*34.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2348)
  2. FTTP (1881)
  3. FTTC (1555)
  4. Broadband Delivery UK (1525)
  5. Politics (1292)
  6. Openreach (1285)
  7. Business (1140)
  8. Statistics (1010)
  9. Mobile Broadband (934)
  10. Fibre Optic (914)
  11. FTTH (901)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (845)
  13. Wireless Internet (842)
  14. 4G (814)
  15. Virgin Media (774)
  16. Sky Broadband (563)
  17. TalkTalk (543)
  18. EE (530)
  19. Vodafone (436)
  20. Security (378)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules