Sponsored Links

Snr routers (only billion?)

Hey folks.
Another storm, another router bites the dust. The question is, are Billion the only ones with built in snr adjustment? I’ve had a couple, both lost to storms; a 7800dxl last year, and an 8900ax-1600 r2 a couple days back. Thinking to replace it with a (much) cheaper 8800nl r2. (Not in link but on amazon).
Anyhoo, still stuck on ADSL2, or something, (it was never announced, or admitted it even changed from standard adsl) snr adjustment is key, only seems to be billion from what I can find. Save for the old DGTeam firmwares..but that seems old news now too...and I don’t wanna brick my old back up 834N!

Fibre is not likely anytime soon, and am currently looking into WISP solutions to get away from the raggedy old, ever patched up, BT copper line. However, that’s a whole other board game, with not many players.

A number of makes of extension lead with built in telephone filtering to protect your equipment.

But these devices are often one time use, they get killed by the spikes caused by lightening hitting the phone line, sacrificing themselves to save the equipment.

They also tend to degrade your line speeds slightly.

Best advice - when lightening is expected within 10 miles of your location, unplug the line, if you are an internet addict, use a 4G dongle.

After a couple grands worth of damage from a hit last year, I do have such a lead. I opted for one that filters the network lead between the router and the hub. As I expected, and don’t have much speed to spare, and chose to sacrifice the router should it happen again...lightning never strikes twice n all that! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Didn’t think about it being single use, I’ll investigate that.

Sponsored Links
I believe you will find Fritzbox! also give you SNR adjustment via GUI control, as do Draytek (via Telnet).

I thought Openreach disabled SNR adjustment from customer's end modem or router to stop fiddle with it. (FTTC will not work on SNR tweak but I haven't try that on ADSL/ADSL2+ as I don't have these anymore but I think it run by BTWholesale not run by Openreach (FTTC only)

I have my draytek SNR tweaked to 3dB higher than BT use as draytek was dropping the connection after BT dropping this to 3dB.

Openwrt has an snr offset tweak available in their UI for some models, including my BT hub 5A (Lantiq chipset).

However you'd be likely better off sticking with Broadcom chipset based routers, as I've always found they'd sync at a slightly higher rate than routers based on other chipsets that I tried (regardless of chipset in the hardware at other end), and unfortunately, as far as I know openwrt doesn't support broadcom based dsl routers, due to no opensource drivers.

You don't need custom firmware to tweak snr on a netgear dg834n, you can enable telnet and do it via that, or via a url (containing a shell exploit), I even wrote a hack to to customise the router's web ui without flashing it, but I don't have it anymore (you could inject shell scripts into the router's nvram that would run everytime the router reboots).

If you were to use a dg834n, you might want custom firmware to fix its password bypass vulnerability though!

Sponsored Links
A number of makes of extension lead with built in telephone filtering to protect your equipment.

But these devices are often one time use, they get killed by the spikes caused by lightening hitting the phone line, sacrificing themselves to save the equipment.

They also tend to degrade your line speeds slightly.

Best advice - when lightening is expected within 10 miles of your location, unplug the line, if you are an internet addict, use a 4G dongle.

I didn't think you can get a domestic surge/filtering device that would provide any worthwhile protection against even an indirect lightning strike, due to the huge amount of joules involved.

Certain models of the TD-W8961N allow you tweak the SNR, have previously used them when I was on ADSL 2mb and managed to get 2.5 out of the line.

Thanks for all the replies, folks.
My line should , finally, be fixed next week. Battery issue, as usual...

Looked at your suggestions. I think I’ll pick up another, albeit cheaper, Billion. I kinda know how they work. Spending over a ton, isn’t something I’m keen to do again, as I never saw much advantage with the last one, saving grace it was a amazon warehouse offer.

Thanks for the tips regarding my old DG834N, it’s just my standby when things get rough. ..worst case, using it till my new one arrives.

I have a Draytek on an ECI cab and have adjusted my SNR higher as thr default 6db was quite noisy.

On 9 now and all has calmed down a bit.

Sponsored Links
I didn't think you can get a domestic surge/filtering device that would provide any worthwhile protection against even an indirect lightning strike, due to the huge amount of joules involved.

Hi Mel, A bit late wit this reply but..

The Belkin I use came with a 5 year warranty and guarantee; if it failed to protect your equipment from a strike, they would pay you £50,000.

They must be pretty confident it works.

I do need to replace it, as it is well beyond the 5 years now.

You don't need custom firmware to tweak snr on a netgear dg834n, you can enable telnet and do it via that, or via a url (containing a shell exploit), I even wrote a hack to to customise the router's web ui without flashing it, but I don't have it anymore (you could inject shell scripts into the router's nvram that would run everytime the router reboots).

Thanks for this, after much fiddling, I managed to get it to work. Had to use a command prompt app as I’m all iOS, but Terminus worked!

In the meantime of all this, I was fibre enabled..with a line length of 3000 meters apparently, and estimated speed of 1mb..whoop whoop! I got swapped from direct feed from the exchange to a new cabinet..but tbh, either is near 1 mile from me.

So, back to looking through the suggestions. (I like to keep this NETGEAR as a standby, not lose it if I get hit again) but at least the ‘hack’ gets me some gains in the meantime. Am now returning a cheaper billion 8800, but it froze so many times, ui locked up etc..not the best in the first 30 mins of using, and I’ve had a few billions to know they should be better!

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules