Sponsored

So long and thanks for all the fish

Jimbo1960

Casual Member
I joined v21 several years ago, was with them through good and bad. One of the best things they had going for them was their user forum which built a strong community.
I am now off to SKY (they are cheap) but nothing is straight forward. They took my money, used my MAC, migrated my line but they didn't send my router (they hard code your username/password into it but won't give the information over the phone so you can use it in your own).
Anyway, there is an active forum over at skyuser.co.uk so I am off there.
I would like to say it's been fun but I would rather thank all those who give their time and experience to help others on these forums.
Jimbo

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
To be honest, i have my suspicions about Sky, it all seems to good to be true. I have a feeling that in 6-12 months time when their sign up rate starts to level off and the network fills up, they are going to drop a big "Fair Use" bombshell.

"Unlimited" 16mb plus free hardware for £10? surely not sustainable long term and their current FUP looks a little too similar to AOL's for comfort.

Paranoid? me? who said that???
paranoid.gif

Last edited:

TRIaXOR™

ULTIMATE Member
Just a couple of things worth mentioning..

Unlimited but a FUP DOES apply, 250GB Rumoured
They run 16MB on thier own (Easynet) LLU kit not BT's so they can make it sustainable until Easynet start to strain if they wanted, lol

Imho thier fup is more like they way C&W handled bulldogs, all you can eat for now until things get overloaded, but then pipex took over, C&W access rented out thier kit to everyone else and speeds suffered at nights (for me personally as well as a few nationally so it wasn't a local issue) with sky the 250GB isn't set in granite and can be ran over (was a rumour someone used 600GB in 1 month :eek: ) but im sure if repeatedly hammered they would say something..

oh, and I'm off to Sky Max later this month too :cool:

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
I plan on joining Sky in about 4 - 5 months. I'll probably go for Sky's mid package because from what I've read they are unlikely to agree to provide ADSL2+ on my line.

The Sky deal looks more sustainable than AOL's to me. You can only get the cheap £10 or less packages if you exchange is unbundled, or is due to be in the next 6 months or so. The IPstream services has a fairly average cap. Their service is tied to retaining a Sky TV package of £15 or more.

AOL have been charging the same amount regardless if you are on the more expensive BT Ipstream or their LLU provider and there is no cross subsidisation, unless they persuade you to take their AOL talktalk package as well.

Unlike the AOL router, the Sky router is pre configured with your password etc and uses custom firmware which if they've got it right should save Sky money on support staff costs (how much time did AOL support staff waste last year telling you how to configure you router every time you rang up!)

I wouldn't expect the 'unlimited' to last for ever, on the other hand I do suspect that Sky may treat customers better than AOL because if Sky mess you about you may also decide to cancel your TV and switch to freeview.

rjhowie

I was with V21 Jimbo for quite a while and agree with what you said. I thought the Forum was a good one and Paul a tremendous help on it for example. Was sorry when V21 went and I briefly got switched off due to the Biscit fiasco but now elsewhere too.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £25.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4124)
  2. BT (3154)
  3. Politics (2120)
  4. Building Digital UK (2028)
  5. Openreach (1970)
  6. FTTC (1923)
  7. Business (1836)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1607)
  9. Statistics (1513)
  10. 4G (1380)
  11. FTTH (1371)
  12. Virgin Media (1277)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1241)
  14. Fibre Optic (1235)
  15. Wireless Internet (1234)
  16. Vodafone (927)
  17. EE (907)
  18. 5G (899)
  19. TalkTalk (821)
  20. Sky Broadband (787)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules