Sponsored

so where is tescos 1mb then ?

monkeyarms

funny you should ask, I emailed support and asked, but they didnt know when it was coming.
I also rang customer services, and they had no information. They still waiting from head office.

So bugger all info about it !!!!

But Tesco arnt known for big press releases, so it could be any day something happens.

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
next to the carrots.

Just had a look at their site and it doesnt say anything about 1mb access, but you can get the new harry potter cheaper than amazon though ;)

monkeyarms

romerogoon said:
woop, sorry to bump, thought it might be useful to issue a provisional date in this thread, acquired from a source in the Tesco Internet Access back office.

The provisional launch date is the 13th September 2005.
Nice one, wonder what pricing will be?

monkeyarms

Thanks for keeping us informed romerogoon.

Hmm, a 1mb service wil 2-3gb limit, a bit usless in my opinion :shrug:

Me thinks i will stick to the uncapped 512 if thats the case.

Let us know if you obtain any more info,

romerogoon

Pro Member
Woo for double posting :|

Yo may want to know that the launch date has been confirmed 20th September, 1mbps service priced at 17.97. Customers who upgrade will be entering into a new twelve month contract, and the usage limit is three gigs per month.

Howeverrrr.... Tesco have no monitoring systems in place at the moment, and are unlikey to do so for at least another six months. Essentially, you're looking at an uncapped service for a few months, and maybe longer ;)

Hope this helps!

KING

Top Member
i see tesco have this on there website now for the same price as 512k, the biggest file i download every week is around 350mb (lost series) :)

other than that i play online games raven sheild maybe hitting 20hrs a week
and say 1hr a week use on email
and a few mp3 downloads

would this break my 3gb download ? how much mb a hr would gaming take up ?

if i go for 1mb can i change back to 512k if its not suitable ?

romerogoon

Pro Member
I'm not sure about the limit there King, you'd probably be coming fairly close to the limit if you play a lot of Raven Shield. The goons up top in Tesco say that they're not enforcing any cap at the moment though, so you shouldn't need to worry. I'm not sure about whether you can downgrade to 512k again, however I really don't think it would be a problem.

Yeah, at the moment it's sort of a catch-22 price wise, you can either get a faster but capped connection, or a slower but unlimited connection.

I personally would suggest you go for the 1mbps, for the sole reason that for the first four months or so, it's pretty much going to be uncapped. If you're going to hammer your connection though, a leaked advisory suggests that customers should do so at offpeak times, such as early mornings or afternoons.

Hope that helps you :)

romerogoon

Pro Member
Ah never, have a looksie over at The Broadband Resource, select the Availability Checker, and bang in your CLI and postcode. Once you've done that, it'll give you an indication of what you can get. Furthermore, click on Locality on the left, and make a note of the distance from your exchange. Anything further than 6km will probably kill and <512k signal, whereas you'll be struggling with 1mbps if you're over 3km from the exchange.

KING

Top Member
i get

Congratulations, you are in a broadband enabled area.
However, the quality or length of your phone line prohibits you from receiving ADSL of any speed.

The following services are available in your location:

BT Wholesale ADSL available, but line too long

You are approximately 5.64km from the exchange (straight line distance).

romerogoon

Pro Member
KING said:
if i go for 1mb can i change back to 512k if its not suitable ?
Unfortunatley not; you have to prove that the level of service had dropped low enough to warrant a regrade back to 512kbps. If you want to return to 512kbps of your own accord, you'd have to cancel and re-apply; leaving you with a worst case scenario of a £70 charge, three weeks without broadband, and a new 12 month contract. Not nice.

With regards the the distance from your local exchange; unfortunatley 5+km is a fair way away, especially when you consider it's point-to-point distance, rather than the length of the phone line.

jinxey

:) I dont know if i shout apply for this, i do go on the internet everynight and use it alot for downloading and chatting but not so much gaming, i also have a computer in my brothers room and this is also used reguarly normally the same hours, would this effect the download limit? I know i am in range for this as i am around the corner from my exchange its basically across the road lol so i could probably get in the range for 2mb to. Do you know what the price of uncapped 1mb will be when it is released? Hope you can give me some details
Thanks
Jinx

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2510)
  2. FTTP (2200)
  3. FTTC (1658)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1428)
  6. Openreach (1418)
  7. Business (1238)
  8. Statistics (1099)
  9. FTTH (1074)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1039)
  11. Fibre Optic (968)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (908)
  14. 4G (900)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (580)
  19. Vodafone (518)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules