Sponsored Links

Speed issues when casting to TV

u0362565

Casual Member
Hi all,

I'm having some issues when casting from my phone to my Nvidea Shield which is connected to the TV. If I'm not casting and running the apps e.g. Netflix on the Nvidea shield the speed is fine and no lags. But when I cast from an app on my phone to the shield often get lags and it struggles and reduces quality to cope. I'm not entirely sure how casting works but I understand that its a transfer of data within your own LAN not to the internet, so can anything explain the slow speeds when casting? We're running standard BB about 11-15Mb download, upload 1Mb if you're lucky.

Our EE router is about as far from the TV/Shield as could be so have installed Tenda Mesh WIFI and generally works well but still the issue with casting only.

Thanks for the help!

I'm not familiar with that particular setup but it's possible the router itself may be underpowered for the job. Also have you run any LAN speed tests to monitor its performance before and during the cast? This might tell you whether it's really a speed or CPU/device issue. Might also be worth speed testing your broadband at the same time, if only to fully rule out some connection.

Hi Mark,thanks for your reply. I noticed today although the casting is working ok and not buffering when I ran a speed test app and it was doing the upload test the casting started to buffer. What is uploading to what during casting and as I only get about 1Mb upload speed could this be the issue? Thanks

Sponsored Links
What app was that? Important to note that testing the speed of your local wireless network is a different thing from testing the speed of your broadband connection.

Its an app called Speedtest for Android. I think you're right its testing the broadband connection not the speed of the LAN. Are there apps to test the LAN as well?

Its an app called Speedtest for Android. I think you're right its testing the broadband connection not the speed of the LAN. Are there apps to test the LAN as well?

Looks like you can install and run iperf on an nvidea shield, which would allow you to test LAN performance. Not sure if you can get iperf for android, but if you can it would allow you to test the speed between the shield and your phone.

Does the shield have an option to increase the buffer /cache size.

Hmm thanks for the app suggestion, doesn't look the most user friendly thing though. I think there may be buffer options within apps themselves but never seen a global buffer/cache setting.

Sponsored Links
So the Tenda management app on my phone for the mesh wifi shows the upload and download rate per device actually. Its kind of a real time display and doesn't give stats over time. So I guess I can look at the upload/download rates per device what sort of numbers are expected for a 5GHz network?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules