Sponsored

Speed Issues

PokerPlayer

Top Member
Ok, ok, ok, i know i've been raving about UKFSN since i joined them last October but now i'm sufficiently aggravated to have a whinge. Up until a few weeks ago, i was consistently getting speeds of 600 to 700Kbs and my router was synching at 7200K minimum. I'm still synching near the max BUT data transmission has slowed down to the equivalent of a 2Mb line. I don't believe i have a line fault as the Entanet servers are currently showing a max rate of 2.4Mb HERE. I see there are 2 new pipes awaiting activation which will make a total of 5 centrals.

Question is, have Entanet become victims of their success? At off-peak times, there is a massive drop in speed as the bandwidth hogs clamber aboard in order to use their 300Gb allowance. My personal useage is rarely more than 20Gb a month so i do feel annoyed that my speeds are affected by heavy users. But that is not their fault....Enta have allowed them 330Gb a month so they are entitled to use it. My gripe is that Enta aren't providing sufficient bandwidth to maintain a decent service to ALL customers.
:hrmph:

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
did i read somewhere about them throttleing users down to 2mb when their network was busy? I'm sure if you read the news history on here or thinkbroadband you'll find somthing

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
I think that post pre-dates the throtting.
It was discussed here:-
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?p=171008#post171008

I think it is more a case of too generous limits. If they want to provide more bandwidth someone would have to pay for it.

Perhaps they should try something more complex that provides an incentive for heavy users to do their downloads when there is spare bandwidth. For instance having a set no of points depending on what you pay, with MB downloaded at times forcast to be high demand could count 10 fold against their allowance. A light user would have loads of spare allowance so wouldn't care, but if you wanted to get the full 330GB, (or whatever the limit) you'd have to schedule your downloads to suit.

PokerPlayer

Top Member
This was my "usual" speedtest, although actual downloads via usenet servers would rarely be less than 600Kbps which makes you wonder how accurate these testing sites are. My current speed tests are very much like yours, Kath. I guess anything over 2Mb is acceptable but it IS annoying to be recieving 25% of what i USED to get. Things should get better when the other 2 centrals are live. :hrmph:

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
this is an old thread bigbrother lets stay with recent threads re-opening old threads.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPER20
  • Plusnet £21.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2715)
  2. FTTP (2601)
  3. FTTC (1756)
  4. Building Digital UK (1700)
  5. Politics (1605)
  6. Openreach (1563)
  7. Business (1387)
  8. FTTH (1310)
  9. Statistics (1206)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1177)
  11. Fibre Optic (1044)
  12. 4G (1013)
  13. Wireless Internet (997)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (993)
  15. Virgin Media (976)
  16. EE (671)
  17. Sky Broadband (655)
  18. TalkTalk (644)
  19. Vodafone (641)
  20. 5G (472)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules