Sponsored

Speed Test Results

Pistoleer

Top Member
port error? you mean they said port drops? every time l had disconnections EurISP told me they were port drops which meant it was something to do with my router.. havent really found much information that says its wrong or right assumption tho.
Cheers, this is what i was sent: (nothing personal in here, so i believe its fine to post)

At 10:30pm last night, a session you had maintained for some 230+ hours was dropped: looking at the connection logs, this was due to a 'port error' - ie, the connection failed not because you requested the service be dropped and not because we had disconnected you - rather something came between your router and our network to cause the session to be lost - perhaps noise on your phone line?

Worryingly, there have been a handful of disconnections since that drop, all listed on the whole as 'port error' for the cause.
The odd thing is that i didnt notice anything dramatically different (from the typical bad speeds im currently having) at 10.30pm... It was only at 2am that i lost ppp auth and it was gone completely. I then only managed to get on again using pppoe this morning before work. Ill check phone for 'noise' when i go home. Guess ill check my router line numbers as well.

Scrapman

Been slowly improving these last few days since the action taken to move the heavy users onto a separate pipe. Sympathies to anyone who may be caught up in that and shouldn't be. If it stays like this now I'll be a happy chappy.

mrzoot

Top Member
same here, dont want to cause an argument but the big downloaders should of been living in the real world and seen this coming, for what we pay the sytem was never going to hold up to that sort of usage, fast4 should of seen it happening as well

Mac

Top Member
I got flamed when I said those comments, but I agree. Although people should have been warned first and that is what the people are complaining about.

Pistoleer

Top Member
Glad to hear you guys are getting proper speeds back again!

I finally was able to get btspeedtester to work for me:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1357 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
I then tried loging it as bt login..but instead found i could no longer use PPPoE! (after only being able to) Now i can only use PPPoA.... ^^

Speeds still the same either way.

lol trying logged in as BT...
You appear to be logged in as speedtest@speedtest_domain, however for the initial performance test can you please not use a BT test account or the Speedtester login. Please reconfigure your service to use your normal DSL account. If you are unsure how to do this or think this message is in error, please contact your service provider for advice.

Please wait while you are redirected..
So tried again with fast4 login:
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1305 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
Then i tried as bt again.... Argh..i got the 'dont use bt login first..use your isp login... what am i doing wrong please?

Cheers

Pistoleer

Top Member
Cheers Mel! Worked a treat - note to self and anyone else trying - use the link Mel gave :
http://217.35.209.142:50302/cgi-bin/home.page.pl while logged in with speedtest@speedtest_domain username and no password

The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user 02xxxxxxxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1166 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is 217.32.xx.xx, your browser is reported as being Mozilla 5.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.
One other test logged in with fast4 un
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1326 kbps
Thanks all, ill wait 30 mins and run another one. Looks like something is wrong maybe at exchange or my line? Which is 'good' in that hopefully its fixable by BT..

I know BT wont class it as a 'fault' since its over 400kbps (woot for that /scarcasm) but knowing that i get up to 6000kbps here i personally know there is something wrong. ah well. Thanks for helping and listening :p

edit - rofl.. just tried doing the self test phone line check over the phone... it said it takes up to 30secs and logs ye off broadband...

1 min later my adsl hadnt been dropped..then the voice says "sorry this line cant be tested...we will analyse it and ring you back" heh So maybe Paul is right about there being line interference or something. We shall see. :confused::shrug:

Last edited:

Pistoleer

Top Member
Quick update for interested parties. I lost adsl synch last night about 10pm until sometime this morning.
BT said they couldnt run a line check...then their "Advanced Diagnostics" team couldnt run a line check either heh. So they are going to send an engineer to the local exchange on Monday to see whats what.

It really feels like im being limited to 1.5MB profile or something... but the btspeedtester site says im on a 6.5MB profile (which should be right as thats the speed i expect to get here)

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1355 kbps
Date 13/10/07 16:07:56
Speed Down 1436.95 Kbps ( 1.4 Mbps )
Speed Up 361.40 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest1.adslguide.org.uk

Pistoleer

Top Member
:) I appreciate any and all suggestions, so thanks, even if this particular granny does know how to suck eggs in this case

Yep, i run a "hidden" secured wireless connection. I ran up to date full searches of antispyware and antivirus apps (3 antispyware and 1 AV) 2 days ago.

I have disabled both my NIC cards and im the only one using the network here.
I run an app that shows me bandwidth throughput, just in case. Cheers

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
If you are speed testing via wireless it might pay you to try different channels in case someone is using a wireless device on overlaping frequencies.

When you are logged in to BT using the @speedtest_domain test login, access to the internet is blocked, so the speedtest result should not be affected by spyware or wardrivers and the like.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
I was doing a speedtest, and this appeared! Talk about rubbing salt into peoples wounds!

Thanks for reminding me, I intended to put a complaint in to the ASA about that ad, as I consider some of the claims misleading (They are not the cheapest, they do have a fup). I've already complained about some of their other ads.

Although, based on the complaints on this forum and elsewhere the "NOT FAST ENOUGH" claim is probably accurate.

mrzoot

Top Member
glad to hear that at least people are looking into your problem pistoleer

i assume you have made sure that no other phone etc in your house is causing any problem (you can remove the front of the main bt socket and plug direct you router into the test socket which bypasses all house wiring)

does sound like an exchange problem though with the btspeedtest showing those poor results

good luck

Pistoleer

Top Member
Cheers mrzoot :)

Yep, ive only got 1 bt socket, the master, with 1 filter off it, to my single phone, and adsl. Router plugs directly into the filter.

I tried the test socket but still the same results. Yes, it does sound like exchange i guess. The odd thing is that im now consistantly getting 1.5MB dl speed... it really feels like im on a 1.5MB profile or somehow capped at that. Im no longer getting the fluctuating speeds. Very odd. Guess ill have an update tomorrow after engineer visits exchange hopefully. Cheers

edit - i also disabled wireless and ran with a wired network connection - same deal as all other tests

Last edited:

Pistoleer

Top Member
I just found a spare filter, so tried using it, into test socket - same deal. At least i have eliminated any fault at my end.

Here are current line stats:

Operational Mode ADSL G.Dmt
Upstream 448 kbps
Downstream 7616 kbps
Noise Margin (Upstream) 22.0 db
Noise Margin (Downstream) 13.5 db
Attenuation (Upstream) 15.0 db
Attenuation (Downstream) 29.5 db

afaik noise margin is a rough indication of distance from exhange. I read that 13.6 db is 1 km, which is almost exactly the distance i am from mine. All my rates appear to be pretty good, so no real reason i can see of a problem that way..? (except downstream noise margin could be better...)

Something i read which helps explain the rates, to myself and anyone else interested:

What is an ideal attentuation and noise margin figure?

The following may help. It is not my research but was posted some weeks ago by someone whom I neglected to identify.

Noise Margin (AKA Signal to Noise Margin or Signal to Noise Ratio)
Relative strength of the DSL signal to Noise ratio. The higher the number the better for this measurement. In some instances interleaving can help raise the noise margin to an acceptable level.

6dB or below is bad and will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems
7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions
11dB-20dB is good with little or no synch problems* (but see note below)
20dB-28dB is excellent
29dB or above is outstanding

* Note that there may be short term bursts of noise that may drop the margin, but due to the sampling time of the management utility in your modem, will not show up in the figures.

Line Attenuation
Measure of how much the signal has degraded between the DSLAM and the modem. This is largely a function of the distance from the exchange. The lower the dB the better for this measurement.

20dB and below is outstanding
20dB-30dB is excellent
30dB-40dB is very good
40dB-50dB is good
50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues
60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues

edit - ps thanks Mel, i tried changing wireless channel as well as you suggested, cheers. Same deal though.

Last edited:

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
posted my connection stats to compare with others since you posted some interesting stuffs

Connection Speed
Down 4320 kbps (l should be getting 5meg, however my profile since a day of sync loss has stuck at 3500 and not moved since the 10th of september)
Up 448 kbps

Line Attenuation
Down 35 db (by what you said my attenuation is reasonable and pretty good on my upspeed)
Up 10.5 db
Noise Margin
Down 10 db (l regularly go below 7DB if not lower at nights, lowest number its been at is 4db recently altho when l got sync loss it was at 2db it still darts around but stable for the moment my up noise margin looks to be great tho)
Up 24 db

djreynolds

Top Member
Thanks for reminding me, I intended to put a complaint in to the ASA about that ad, as I consider some of the claims misleading (They are not the cheapest, they do have a fup). I've already complained about some of their other ads.

Although, based on the complaints on this forum and elsewhere the "NOT FAST ENOUGH" claim is probably accurate.
I complained to speedtest.net, providing links to this forum. They replied....

Ads served on Speedtest.net are done by Google AdSense automatically. We don't control them unfortunately. I am sorry if an advertiser is not being honest.

So I persisted....

would you at least foreward my complaint to your contact at Google please?.....or let me know who he is.

They said...

Google is somewhat autonomous - there is no direct contact. Advertisers use AdWords and sites that show ads use AdSense. There is a link to contact sales on their main page here:

http://www.google.com/ads/

That is probably the best option.

Soooo....having an "inaccurate" advert on your site is clearly nothing to do with you in this day & age.

Makes you wonder about the accuracy of the speedtest results themselves?

and as for writing to google, the last thing I heard about them was one of their female senior staffers defending their right NOt to have to remove DIY videos of kids having the living daylights kicked out of them from sites they control. Somehow I don't see them being interested in this.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2553)
  2. FTTP (2292)
  3. FTTC (1688)
  4. Building Digital UK (1627)
  5. Politics (1457)
  6. Openreach (1444)
  7. Business (1273)
  8. FTTH (1125)
  9. Statistics (1118)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1068)
  11. Fibre Optic (984)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (930)
  13. Wireless Internet (929)
  14. 4G (926)
  15. Virgin Media (876)
  16. EE (607)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (587)
  19. Vodafone (542)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules