Sponsored

Starlink Experience (UK User)

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
Speed test at 5:20
Very respectable speed and latency! Latency is not worse than 4G really..
Game changer. Now if they could drop the monthly fees a bit.. :)

Yes I'd sign up in a second if it wasn't so expensive Lucian, hopefully a cheaper package will surface eventually.

I have no problems with the equpment price at all, great for what you are getting, just the monthly fee is a bit too painful for mr cheapskate here. :giggle:

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
There are ways to do some traffic shaping, maybe a pfsense box or linux+htb or smth.
My neighbours have got common as muck sky and bt fibre, sadly I don't think they would ever be persuaded to look up to the stars Lucian. :(

TTJJ

ULTIMATE Member
Are they issuing US IPs for UK clients currently?

This could pose a bit of an issue if so

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
Don't think so, in the video speedtest.net seemed to correctly locate him and served him from UK hosts (I could see Braintree and Norwich locations).

bonehead999

Casual Member
Starlink user here. Ditched the 4g connections as needed more bandwidth than I can get from Band 20.

Setup - easy, no issues at all!
Speed - amazing, seems to average about 150 but peaks at 270 when downloading
Price - obviously a bit of a bugbear, fingers crossed it comes down
Latency - just fine (27-54ms on average)
Downtime - haven't had any since installing two weeks ago
Power consumption - I haven't monitored it but believe it was about 0.1kwh so I have it on a smart switch to turn off at night when we're asleep.

On ordering through their website I noticed the address was wrong for delivery so I quickly sent a support ticket to get it changed. Literally within seconds they were on the phone to sort it out and confirm. Delivery was approx one week from ordering.

Brumski

Pro Member
I'm very close to hitting the order button myself but an impending car purchase has made me take a step back for now.

tims20

Casual Member
Starlink user here. Ditched the 4g connections as needed more bandwidth than I can get from Band 20.

Setup - easy, no issues at all!
Speed - amazing, seems to average about 150 but peaks at 270 when downloading
Price - obviously a bit of a bugbear, fingers crossed it comes down
Latency - just fine (27-54ms on average)
Downtime - haven't had any since installing two weeks ago
Power consumption - I haven't monitored it but believe it was about 0.1kwh so I have it on a smart switch to turn off at night when we're asleep.
Great to hear first hand experiences as also considering Starlink when my Vodafone contract runs out. What sort of upload speeds do you see?

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
Yes somehow Starlink feels classy Bubblesthefish6, probably because it is. :D

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
My smart hub is NOT impressed.
IMG_20210704_115928.jpg

2evs

Thought my experience with StarLink might be useful to those considering signing up. Its plug and play if you just use the router supplied. I have a Draytek based network with a couple APs a NAS and an IoT so did not want to use the supplied router.
I just connected the Dishy and Brick to my Draytek Vigor 2862 router WAN2 port (and did a little bit of basic configuration for that port) and everything worked. It's not been entirely faultless, there have been a couple of occasions in the last month where the router has partially locked up around 4am. I've need to power off and on the router to recover. Still trying to workout whats happening there. Draytek routers are usually extremely reliable! Other than that everything works with a downlink near London UK so there are no location or based problems.
The power consumption as I write is 17watts for Dishy and the Brick (no router) not 100watts as has been reported. Obviously this is an extra 17watts I was not consuming with a DSL connection but it's much less than 100watts

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • TalkTalk £21.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £21.95 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £20.00 (*54.00)
    Speed: 400Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £23.50 (*26.50)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • Community Fibre £27.50 (*32.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First 6 Months Free
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3663)
  2. BT (3043)
  3. Politics (1972)
  4. Building Digital UK (1942)
  5. FTTC (1897)
  6. Openreach (1862)
  7. Business (1717)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1500)
  9. Statistics (1427)
  10. FTTH (1367)
  11. 4G (1295)
  12. Virgin Media (1193)
  13. Fibre Optic (1184)
  14. Wireless Internet (1175)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1165)
  16. Vodafone (859)
  17. EE (845)
  18. 5G (792)
  19. TalkTalk (779)
  20. Sky Broadband (756)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules