Sponsored Links

Starlink Experience (UK User)

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
Just thought I'd share a Starlink users experience from here in the UK folks, as most reviews are of course from the US and Canada at the moment.

He mentions the prices and delivery times etc.

Hope someone finds it of interest. :)

UK Starlink User (Doobrey)

Speed test at 5:20
Very respectable speed and latency! Latency is not worse than 4G really..
Game changer. Now if they could drop the monthly fees a bit.. :)

Speed test at 5:20
Very respectable speed and latency! Latency is not worse than 4G really..
Game changer. Now if they could drop the monthly fees a bit.. :)

Yes I'd sign up in a second if it wasn't so expensive Lucian, hopefully a cheaper package will surface eventually.

I have no problems with the equpment price at all, great for what you are getting, just the monthly fee is a bit too painful for mr cheapskate here. :giggle:

Sponsored Links
There are ways to do some traffic shaping, maybe a pfsense box or linux+htb or smth.

There are ways to do some traffic shaping, maybe a pfsense box or linux+htb or smth.
My neighbours have got common as muck sky and bt fibre, sadly I don't think they would ever be persuaded to look up to the stars Lucian. :(

Sponsored Links
Are they issuing US IPs for UK clients currently?

This could pose a bit of an issue if so

Don't think so, in the video speedtest.net seemed to correctly locate him and served him from UK hosts (I could see Braintree and Norwich locations).

Starlink user here. Ditched the 4g connections as needed more bandwidth than I can get from Band 20.

Setup - easy, no issues at all!
Speed - amazing, seems to average about 150 but peaks at 270 when downloading
Price - obviously a bit of a bugbear, fingers crossed it comes down
Latency - just fine (27-54ms on average)
Downtime - haven't had any since installing two weeks ago
Power consumption - I haven't monitored it but believe it was about 0.1kwh so I have it on a smart switch to turn off at night when we're asleep.

On ordering through their website I noticed the address was wrong for delivery so I quickly sent a support ticket to get it changed. Literally within seconds they were on the phone to sort it out and confirm. Delivery was approx one week from ordering.

Sponsored Links
I'm very close to hitting the order button myself but an impending car purchase has made me take a step back for now.

Starlink user here. Ditched the 4g connections as needed more bandwidth than I can get from Band 20.

Setup - easy, no issues at all!
Speed - amazing, seems to average about 150 but peaks at 270 when downloading
Price - obviously a bit of a bugbear, fingers crossed it comes down
Latency - just fine (27-54ms on average)
Downtime - haven't had any since installing two weeks ago
Power consumption - I haven't monitored it but believe it was about 0.1kwh so I have it on a smart switch to turn off at night when we're asleep.
Great to hear first hand experiences as also considering Starlink when my Vodafone contract runs out. What sort of upload speeds do you see?

Sponsored Links
Yes somehow Starlink feels classy Bubblesthefish6, probably because it is. :D

My smart hub is NOT impressed.
IMG_20210704_115928.jpg

Thought my experience with StarLink might be useful to those considering signing up. Its plug and play if you just use the router supplied. I have a Draytek based network with a couple APs a NAS and an IoT so did not want to use the supplied router.
I just connected the Dishy and Brick to my Draytek Vigor 2862 router WAN2 port (and did a little bit of basic configuration for that port) and everything worked. It's not been entirely faultless, there have been a couple of occasions in the last month where the router has partially locked up around 4am. I've need to power off and on the router to recover. Still trying to workout whats happening there. Draytek routers are usually extremely reliable! Other than that everything works with a downlink near London UK so there are no location or based problems.
The power consumption as I write is 17watts for Dishy and the Brick (no router) not 100watts as has been reported. Obviously this is an extra 17watts I was not consuming with a DSL connection but it's much less than 100watts

Thanks @2evs, that's good to know. Re Draytek, does it lock up completely or just the wan2 interface go nuts? It could be it needs to refresh its DHCP IP.

Where's the obligatory speedtest screenshot?! ;-)

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules