Sponsored Links

Starlink now available to UK addresses

tartanGuru

Starlink have now opened up their ordering system to the general public and it looks like they are accepting UK orders. I put my address in and would have been able to order a unit (I was quite tempted), however the monthly service costs are a tad on the expensive side compared to my £37 EE unlimited deal!

starlink.jpg

Starlink have now opened up their ordering system to the general public and it looks like they are accepting UK orders. I put my address in and would have been able to order a unit (I was quite tempted), however the monthly service costs are a tad on the expensive side compared to my £37 EE unlimited deal!

View attachment 772
Been available in the UK for a few weeks now, but as you say it's too pricey.

OK if you have no chance of an internet connection and have deep pockets though. :giggle:

Interesting - Mine only let me put down an £89 deposit with the promise of it coming mid to late 2021.

Sponsored Links
Interesting - Mine only let me put down an £89 deposit with the promise of it coming mid to late 2021.
I think it might depend on whether you are located within the existing coverage footprint. It appears that you need to be south of line running from Cardiff to London

I registered my interest a while ago, when it is available in my area I am very likely going to sign up just to try it.

Useful to know if you're a rural farmer in the UK have no FTTC or 4g service. Totally stupid signing up for it now IMHO, you shouldn't have to pay to be a beta tester of a service.

I think it might depend on whether you are located within the existing coverage footprint. It appears that you need to be south of line running from Cardiff to London

Makes sense - I'm near St Andrews so quite a bit further north.

Sponsored Links
Figured I'd add a specific forum for satellite solutions, mainly because the new LEO platforms are likely to draw more interest back into it. As such I've moved this thread to that forum.

I'm near Swindon and it let me get to ordering. Chickened out at last minute. Current broadband 11Mb (drops every few days) and that's £50/month, and it doesn't look like we can get enough community to go for the OpenReach upgrade. 4/5G don't work (hills and valleys) without very long pole...

Really interested but trying not to be the 'first' person on the service.

Mate of mine just signed up for it. His openreach line does 1mbit on a good day ! And he's also got two kids at home wanting to use internet all day. I asked him about 4G and he says he can't get that either. Somewhere in Kent I believe.

I'm tempted to do it just for fun. And because I left VM yesterday lol.

I'm near Swindon and it let me get to ordering. Chickened out at last minute. Current broadband 11Mb (drops every few days) and that's £50/month, and it doesn't look like we can get enough community to go for the OpenReach upgrade. 4/5G don't work (hills and valleys) without very long pole...

I don't think you need to worry about being the first person on the service, plenty of positive feedback from the US and it's only likely to get better over the coming months.

In your situation it sounds like a suitable solution - I don't think I would use it unless there is no real alternative (hence the higher pricing).

For myself, I have 20Mbps/1Mbps, but I'm aware I could get 4G from EE with speeds around 100Mbps here (mast just down the road, a neighbour is using the service). Also going through the CFP process and this looks positive so far and may end up with FTTP here in the next 12-18 months.

Sponsored Links
There are quite a few reports from UK beta testers on the r/Starlink sub reddit. Reports are generally very positive, however it seems like there are periods of no service so you need a backup connection at the moment, and Starlink were promoting it as a 'better than nothing' beta programme. It also seems that the beam patterns are very specific and that the dishes are software locked to a specific geographic 'cell' (apparently these are about 15 miles wide), so there is no guarantee that you will get good service even if someone relatively nearby does. I guess this is why there are warnings about not being able to change the service address

That being said, cost of the equipment is pretty impressive, especially when you consider that it would be a similar spend to get an equivalent 5g based solution with an external mast

I suspect improvements will be fairly quick. By the end of feb they will have put around 250 more sats in orbit this year (if the upcoming launches come off)

Not available in KT6 (SW London) :(

Be interesting to see where this goes and what the pricing is like on the production hardware. If anything it’s got to be good competition for the usual broadband companies and could drive prices down and service quality up. Its ideal for all those remote based “outdoorsy” youtubers in the states and it offers similar pricing to the services they use currently out in the sticks.
It’s a bit pricey for me though currently in beta form but I’d love to try the kit out, their site would let me order it too at my address in Wolverhampton.

Sponsored Links
Be interesting to see where this goes and what the pricing is like on the production hardware. If anything it’s got to be good competition for the usual broadband companies and could drive prices down and service quality up. Its ideal for all those remote based “outdoorsy” youtubers in the states and it offers similar pricing to the services they use currently out in the sticks.
It’s a bit pricey for me though currently in beta form but I’d love to try the kit out, their site would let me order it too at my address in Wolverhampton.
I'd say the same here too. Look at my signature to see the speeds we get from BT which leave a lot to be desired in my case tbh. I might get in on it in the future when its out of beta testing & a bit cheaper.

I'd say the same here too. Look at my signature to see the speeds we get from BT which leave a lot to be desired in my case tbh. I might get in on it in the future when its out of beta testing & a bit cheaper.

Id say they'd price is around the same sort of prices that gigabit connections go for so still a little pricy, but it'll come down I should say but maybe not too bargain basement levels. Also the dishes need clear line of sight to a good portion of the sky, something non rural customers might struggle with plus the security aspect of the dish too in more populated areas. CGNAT on it though so no hosting thing unless you do some funky stuff with tunnels/vpn

The hardware prices probably won't change much from the beta, but in the future that may not matter as, once commercially launched, I suspect the UK government will see Starlink as a useful fix for rural connectivity and may extend voucher eligibility to include it.

I would however like to see a slower and cheaper plan than 100Mbps+ from Starlink, since the monthly rental is pretty steep for most people. But I fear they won't do that because they're beholden to an FCC (USA) requirement that mandates such speeds as the minimum for their rural investment.

If you have a stable 50 Down 8 Up on FTTC, Starlink may or may not be an improvement. I'd be interested to see how well it performs in heavy rainfall, and in any case latency is likely to be worse than FTTC.

As for pricing: if it's any good, and there are enough people who will buy it at the current price, then I wouldn't expect it to get any cheaper. The bandwidth available to sell is only the equivalent of a fairly small number of FTTP PONs.

The target market is more people on ~1M ADSL than people with ~50M FTTC.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules