Sponsored Links

Starlink now available to UK addresses

The starlink satellites aren't in geo stationary orbit - they orbit the earth in around 90minutes so each satellite is only overhead for a few minutes at a time before it passes and the next one comes along to serve you - hence the narrow strip you mention - that's the path they take and I'd guess that path needs clear, continuous, view to maintain connection.

Back yard (obstructed by my actual house if i point it at at the house, but the neighbours sky dish points directly at my house and works apparently)

If Mark doesn't want to go for it, anyone want to crowdfund me ? :LOL: I promise to write about it here and test whatever you want.

Yeah you need to do it in the day, then it shows what it sees and the area it needs to see is shown so you can see where you'd need to place it to get a good view...

@dabigm ill certainly put 10 quid in 🤣

The starlink satellites aren't in geo stationary orbit - they orbit the earth in around 90minutes so each satellite is only overhead for a few minutes at a time before it passes and the next one comes along to serve you - hence the narrow strip you mention - that's the path they take and I'd guess that path needs clear, continuous, view to maintain connection.

Yeah they're in LEO. I have been watching the constellation and its quite difficult to tell what sort of visibility i'd have and therefore what periods i'd have without connectivity.

I used the app, the dish according to what I could see needs to be pointed at a letterbox high up but towards the south. Plenty of uninterrupted views for me to pick from, as I allegedly have FTTP coming in 2022 and currently have 70mb 4G it makes no sense for me but Openreach and R100 do not fill me with confidence. It may be by the time I get to see FTTP the Starlink prices have dropped enough so that FTTP is not worth the hassle due to the expected wayleaves issues.

Just to add my story:
I paid £89 sometime early Feb having registered on the US site months/years ago. I received an email last night that the rest of the money would be taken in three days and I had an opportunity cancel. I swallowed hard and have decided to go with it.

I currently have BT broadband which manages about a 2Mbps and less in the evening. This is load balanced to a dual SIM modem with a 3 SIM and an EE SIM. I have a 4G aerial on the roof and another in the loft. I generally get a combined average down speed of 10Mbps although when the wind is blowing in the right direction or 3/EE aren't managing my data too efficiently I can get bursts of 40 or even 60Mbps....trouble is that it is too intermittant and inconsistent to be able to work from home (zoom etc).

Having read about Starlink suffering short dropouts (3 per hour approx) this is going to cause havoc with zoom calls. So, my plan is to bypass the Starlink router and plug the dish and the 3 SIM straight into Wan1 and Wan2 of my unifi USG and set the primary connection to starlink with the 3 sim taking over on failover...or perhaps I'll use BT broadband connection. With any luck the short drops in signal will be covered by the backup wan connection but I'll see.

The cost of Starlink is pretty prohibitive (in my opinion) but if it works it will remove one massive stress of trying to remain connected (and thereby remaining relevant) in a competive world whilst living in the sticks, working from home because of COVID...and given all the various connections I've cobbled together the monthly price is only a little higher than what I'm paying at the moment!

Now...I need to find where to buy one of those pipe adapters so I can mount the dish on the roof above the sky dish!

I saw the review for Starlink & thought it would meet me needs here in the rural parts of the borders.

Current landline speeds - 0.6 down, up (forget it).
Satellite (conventional) restricted by data caps.
Currently using fixed wireless as no 4G signal located but been down 14 days due to storm.

A few things about the Starlink -

Not available until mid 2022 - how do we get updates that it’s available?

Data caps - are they likely to introduce them?

Costs aren’t far off what I’m paying now (for 34mbps down) so could be worth it.

Cheers

It may be by the time I get to see FTTP the Starlink prices have dropped enough so that FTTP is not worth the hassle due to the expected wayleaves issues.
Why do people keep expecting Starlink prices to drop?

It's priced to serve remote areas where there's no feasible alternative. There is massive demand, and they have only limited capacity. It's never going to compete in price with ground-based FTTP or FTTC, because there is no reason for them to drop their prices to a level which would cause demand that they cannot supply. They also have an ongoing cost of launching satellites, which burn up after a few years.

Prices might drop a bit if there's competition between multiple satellite networks - but still not down to FTTC/FTTP levels.

Why do people keep expecting Starlink prices to drop?

It's priced to serve remote areas where there's no feasible alternative. There is massive demand, and they have only limited capacity. It's never going to compete in price with ground-based FTTP or FTTC, because there is no reason for them to drop their prices to a level which would cause demand that they cannot supply. They also have an ongoing cost of launching satellites, which burn up after a few years.

Prices might drop a bit if there's competition between multiple satellite networks - but still not down to FTTC/FTTP levels.

Old thread i'm reviving months later. Starlink has dropped the price in France. Albeit with a data cap now. I think France forced them to offer a lower tier and since they only had an unlimited tier they introduced data caps and a lower price to get their license to operate in France back.

The capped starlink is now €55 in France (instead of €99) and the cap amount seems to be 250GB.

Article here

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules