Sponsored

Steer clear of this ISP

kabadi9

I'm afraid they are absolutely rubbish.

Takes ages to connect if at all. Poor customer service. On cue for ages on telephone line (which you have to pay for) just for the privilage of cancelling this terrible service. They will not accept cancellation by email.

:(

mallycuk

I signed up with them last Tuesday with their anytime package, I connect 1st time everytime all day and night, no problems here. GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY:)

rruwalton

ISP Rep
I used tesco.net's 2-month trial before I obtained BB. I connected 1st time every time and everything was fine.

You could always leave them and try AOL's 45-day trila for £0

sentup.custard

ULTIMATE Member
Not used them myself, kabadi9, but I think you must have been unlucky. A neighbour of mine used them, like rruwalton, in between ditching her old ISP and getting broadband, and did not have any problems either connecting or cancelling.

kabadi9

I enjoyed relatively good connection whilst on the trial period. Because of this I didn't experience other aspects of the service (e.g. support) during the trial period.

It was once the trial expired that I started having problems.

I do want to leave but Tesco make it incredibly hard by insisting that you telephone to cancel. I have tried three times so far but after approx 20 mins on hold each time had to give up. BTW this is not a free number so I have paid for these calls too.

To all those on their trial periods, enjoy it while it lasts.

Bartman

Strange, took me about 2 mins to cancel. Though I agree it would be a far lot easier by email.

FB1969

Tesco.net - Good or Bad

No problems so far after 2 months free trial and now a week into paying for access. Only failed to connect on 3 ocassions, and 2 of those I realised I'd mis-typed the password. Email support has been slow, but answers were eventually given.
Their Terms and Conditions give a postal address and state cancellation should be done in writing. A Recorded Delivery Letter could work out cheaper than being on hold for too long :smilet:

FB1969

Cancellation

Just found this on another thread:

Tesco T&C

Para 13
"You can inform us that you wish to cancel this agreement at any time by writing to us. If you do so, this agreement will end and you must therefore stop using the Service either immediately or at the end of the period for which you have prepaid."

Para 1
"Tesco.net is owned and operated by Tesco.com Limited, a company registered in England and Wales whose registered office is at Tesco House, Cheshunt, Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire, EN8 9SL"

Unicast

ULTIMATE Member
I signed up with Tesco.net sometime around mid August, just as Unreal-ISP started to fall apart. I must say that I've enjoyed a cracking two free months with them and I'm now well into the paid service with no serious issues so far.

The only thing thats a bit annoying at the moment is that the 0808 number has been giving engaged tones for the last couple of days, but the 0800 number always connects. Does anyone know if there is a way of submitting an electronic complaint form to them? They mightn't necessarily know there's a problem unless someone flags it with them.

I signed up with them 5 months ago, and only the last few weeks have i had problems connecting. I can't connect now at all, its impossible. Do you have the 0800 that i can try to connect to please? Currently on 0808 and it's not happening!

Zippy

Casual Member
Tesco Numbers

Been with Tesco for about 10 weeks and don't want to tempt fate about how things are!!

The dial up numbers I've noted are:
0808 990 9002
0800 519 0900
1263 0800 519 0120

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much! First time on the 0800 number and it connects perfectly. Tescos had a reprieve, however if this one dies then i think i'm gonna look for another ISP. Shame, because it was going great for me!

I know ntl have been having problems, and this is piggybacked on ntl, so maybe now they have "supposedly" been sorted, its our turn hehe.

dad

engaged dial tone when using tesco isp

I have used Tesco's isp for over a year and have enjoyed a near faultless service. I have experienced an engaged tone occasionally and was supplied with a backup number from their Customer Services section (it may only work for anytime customers though) - 1263,08005190120. Hope this helps.

Hand

I'm on Tesco.net at the moment and i'm not happy with it. I'm currently connected at 37kps(56kV90 modem)! This seems to be the average connection speed now. I tested with uk2.net for comparison and i got 50kps connection speed.

It started off at 48kps in free 2 month trial period then that strangely fell to 44kps about 2 months ago and now the average speed is 38kps??? It has fallen down to 31kps on occasion...argh! I can only assume its going to get gradually worse.

Trying to play Counter-strike is a beyond a joke. lol I just got disconnected writing this too...Thats another thing if you are just sat there reading an article you are quite likely to cut off with the server noticing that you're not downloading. Don't get me started on that Tesco dialler! I'm gonna get rid of it when i format my HD.

The bottom line is Tesco.net is cheap but a very poor service..I didn't come to this conclusion quickly either..i'm a cautious, level-headed person and my advice is DON'T get Tesco.net.

P.S I got disconnected 3 times whilst writing this!

FB1969

Each to their own.
I've been with Tesco since the 2 months free trial and haven't experienced any problems with cut offs at all - in fact it doesn't even disconnect after 10 mins of doing nothing! Nearly always connect at 45.2kps, never been higher than 48kps on any ISP I've used.

Last edited:

Hand

I'm still connected at 37kps after a fortnight of it falling to that speed. I was happy with Tesco.net in the early days but I think I will have to cancel soon if there is no improved....Which will be fun. :( :shrug:

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPER20
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Plusnet £22.50 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Onestream £22.99 (*34.99)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2741)
  2. FTTP (2670)
  3. FTTC (1768)
  4. Building Digital UK (1723)
  5. Politics (1631)
  6. Openreach (1592)
  7. Business (1403)
  8. FTTH (1330)
  9. Statistics (1223)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1195)
  11. Fibre Optic (1048)
  12. 4G (1027)
  13. Wireless Internet (1009)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1004)
  15. Virgin Media (992)
  16. EE (678)
  17. Sky Broadband (662)
  18. TalkTalk (653)
  19. Vodafone (651)
  20. 5G (487)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules