Sponsored

Strange Issue with Huawei B535 Router on Three Network

GavinAshford

Top Member
Apparently the industry standard for 4g LTE's MTU is 1428, so its interesting to see it reporting 1360.

I've set the mobile data connection to 1428 and 1360 and still noticed the problem today, not seen any packet loss right up to an MTU of 1500 so I don't think the routing issue is MTU or packet loss related.

I think its more down to traffic management been poorly implemented.
I see 1360 when I'm connected through VPN. I see 1346 when I'm not... And I'm still no wiser!

Wynno

Found your thread, very useful thank you. I've been having similar (and very frustrating) issues and am convinced it is indeed a MTU issue. I use Smarty for my home broadband (rural and no land-line option), and have been having the exact same symptoms that MrHammonds describes for a couple of months. Connection is reliable and speed good and consistent, at a radio level I have good RSRP & RSRQ numbers. My normal set-up is a Meraki MG21 4G gateway paired with a MX64 firewall and a couple of MR33 APs. I also have a spare TP-Link MR600 and the problem persists when using this for testing.
At first I thought it might be a web-caching issue as once pages eventually have loaded they them seem to be ok. Video such as Netflix and Prime does not seem to be affected, but I'm assuming this is UDP and smaller packets.
Using the instructions on https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/190/?utm_medium=select-local and https://documentation.meraki.com/zG...nd_Troubleshooting/Troubleshooting_MTU_Issues I'm seeing 3 restricting MTU to 1358 (inc. 28 bit header).
I've tried setting the MTU via DHCP option 26, but my Windows 10 PCs just ignore that, and I don't want to force it on them individually as it would apply even when on other networks.
I can't adjust the MTU myself on the Meraki MX, but apparently support can do this for me, so I have requested this change. I'll let you all know whether this solves the issue.

Attachments

Wynno

So to update
Found your thread, very useful thank you. I've been having similar (and very frustrating) issues and am convinced it is indeed a MTU issue. I use Smarty for my home broadband (rural and no land-line option), and have been having the exact same symptoms that MrHammonds describes for a couple of months. Connection is reliable and speed good and consistent, at a radio level I have good RSRP & RSRQ numbers. My normal set-up is a Meraki MG21 4G gateway paired with a MX64 firewall and a couple of MR33 APs. I also have a spare TP-Link MR600 and the problem persists when using this for testing.
At first I thought it might be a web-caching issue as once pages eventually have loaded they them seem to be ok. Video such as Netflix and Prime does not seem to be affected, but I'm assuming this is UDP and smaller packets.
Using the instructions on https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/190/?utm_medium=select-local and https://documentation.meraki.com/zG...nd_Troubleshooting/Troubleshooting_MTU_Issues I'm seeing 3 restricting MTU to 1358 (inc. 28 bit header).
I've tried setting the MTU via DHCP option 26, but my Windows 10 PCs just ignore that, and I don't want to force it on them individually as it would apply even when on other networks.
I can't adjust the MTU myself on the Meraki MX, but apparently support can do this for me, so I have requested this change. I'll let you all know whether this solves the issue.
Meraki changed the MTU as requested, and did it make any difference? Well I think perhaps a little, but it certainly has not solved the main annoying issue of web-pages taking an absolute age to first load. I think perhaps there are multiple issues here that 3 are throwing at us.

I am now experimenting with the Cloudfare WARP VPN client on my iPad and iPhone and initial feedback is that this does solve the issue, although downside is some web-sites seem to think I'm not in the UK, although others work fine as normal. Not sure about impact to battery life etc yet.

It would all be a lot easier to change to another mobile network, I have good EE and Voda coverage, but none of them can come even close from a tariff perspective - my Smarty SIM is unlimited data and speed at £20 p/m on a monthly contract. The best Vodafone can do it £33 p/m and EE are asking for a ridiculous £45 p/m for 50GB, hopeless. I guess you get what you pay for!

sheephouse

EE are asking for a ridiculous £45 p/m for 50GB
EE offer unlimited SIM only for £34 p/m or less - I pay £27+VAT for an unlimited business SIM only deal and I got that without any special offers or haggling, and it is working fine as a fixed-line broadband replacement. No issues with FUP limits or allowing customers to use it.
I use AAISP L2TP to get static public addresses, but have had to lower the MTU to 1360 to make everything happy.

TTJJ

Pro Member
EE offer unlimited SIM only for £34 p/m or less - I pay £27+VAT for an unlimited business SIM only deal and I got that without any special offers or haggling, and it is working fine as a fixed-line broadband replacement. No issues with FUP limits or allowing customers to use it.
I use AAISP L2TP to get static public addresses, but have had to lower the MTU to 1360 to make everything happy.
Your solution is very expensive though. EE aren’t really ones to offer discounts so the price is the price. EE massively throttles downloads but you get around this with the AAISP L2TP.

sheephouse

EE massively throttles downloads but you get around this with the AAISP L2TP.
I only use the L2TP tunnel for my servers - all other traffic goes over bare EE, and I haven't noticed any throttling (just a little peak time slowdown, but still get >60Mbps).

TTJJ

Pro Member
I only use the L2TP tunnel for my servers - all other traffic goes over bare EE, and I haven't noticed any throttling (just a little peak time slowdown, but still get >60Mbps).
That's very good. But are you getting speed tests of 60 or actual download speeds of that much?

May have been my area being congested but when I used EE speed test results would show amazing speeds but when actually downloading things (as one does on a computer etc) I'd notice it be massively throttled all the time. It was a bit disappointing. That, plus the price, is the reason I've not gone back to them.

Darsuke

Actually it costs £35, but if you can get it for £10, perhaps you could show a link?
Yeah it's because all the voxi sims have unlimited data despite what the deal says. It's due to a bug and been like that since summer. So the £10 deal is all you need really.

Stageshoot

Casual Member
Yeah it's because all the voxi sims have unlimited data despite what the deal says. It's due to a bug and been like that since summer. So the £10 deal is all you need really.
Yep can confirm the bug, I have a sim on the £10 8G Tarriff and it never goes down,

Doubt it will last forever (Been like it since last year tho). so as a temp measure not a bad backup as its £10 a month and PAYG so you can stop it anytime

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPER20
  • NOW TV £22.00 (*40.00)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.95
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2690)
  2. FTTP (2529)
  3. FTTC (1738)
  4. Building Digital UK (1677)
  5. Politics (1571)
  6. Openreach (1537)
  7. Business (1352)
  8. FTTH (1274)
  9. Statistics (1186)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1154)
  11. Fibre Optic (1033)
  12. 4G (997)
  13. Wireless Internet (984)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (983)
  15. Virgin Media (960)
  16. EE (664)
  17. Sky Broadband (649)
  18. TalkTalk (631)
  19. Vodafone (623)
  20. 5G (457)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules