Sponsored Links

Strange Issue with Huawei B535 Router on Three Network

The MTU you need to change is under Network Settings>Mobile Internet>Internet Connection
I thought that is where the setting should be, however on my unit (B535-235 firmware version 10.0.2.1(H195SP2C983)) I simply do not have that as an option that I can set!

2B784191-4574-4258-96BD-3091E63C5B36.jpeg

After a dig around in the HTML and CSS it doesn’t appear that there is a hidden MTU option either (although I was able find some other hidden modem settings such as auto dial). I would have assumed that the generic 235 version would have had this option by standard and it would have been disabled on the Three 232 version.

The MTU option is visible on B535-232 10.0.1.1 as standard from Three.

Looks like it not an option then for the 235 version and 10.0.2.1, so I will have to rely on a client rather than router fix. Cloudflare WARP is working for my mobile devices, I will see if I can enable DNS over HTPPS on my macbook.

After a dig around in the HTML and CSS it doesn’t appear that there is a hidden MTU option either (although I was able find some other hidden modem settings such as auto dial). I would have assumed that the generic 235 version would have had this option by standard and it would have been disabled on the Three 232 version.

Can't you just add the correct lines to the html in console?

This bit?

<div id="network_mtu" class="clearboth" style="padding-top:30px;"><div class="control-label" style="margin-top: 8px;"><span lang-id="IDS_advanced_settings_mtu_internet_port">MTU size</span></div><div class="controls enable_eth_save_btn input_normal"><input onfocus="showInputBorder(this)" onblur="hideInputBorder(this)" id="input_network_mtu" lang-id="IDS_ethernet_default_ipoe_mtu" placeholder="Default: 1500" lang-id-set="placeholder" type="text" maxlength="4" value="1500"></div><p id="eths_ondemand_mtuinfo" class="eths-info" lang-id="IDS_ethernet_mtu_size_clew_msg">Please do not edit unless absolutely necessary</p></div><div id="apn_data_save" class="clearboth" style="padding-top:50px;"><div class="control-label" style="margin-top: 8px;">&nbsp;</div><div class="controls"><button class="btn_normal_long" id="mtuSelectpost" lang-id="btn.save">Save</button></div>

Can't you just add the correct lines to the html in console?

Good suggestion and I was able to add the option onto the page, however the save button is non functional and it it couldn’t read the existing value as presumably the associated Javascript to save the value isn’t present. I had a quick look through the JS but could spot anything obvious. This makes me wonder if this is something that Three have specifically asked to be added to the firmware?

Turns out it's really easy to find out what MTU Setting the modem is using. Just enter the following into the chrome console once logged in :-

JavaScript:
getAjaxData('api/dialup/connection',
  function ( ret ) {
  console.log(JSON.stringify(ret))
})

This returns an JSON object which has various parameters for the modem including the MTU (which is defaulted to 1500 on my unit)

JSON:
{"type":"response",
  "response":{
    "RoamAutoConnectEnable":"0",
    "MaxIdelTime":"0",
    "ConnectMode":"0",
    "MTU":"1500",
    "auto_dial_switch":"1",
    "pdp_always_on":"0"
  }
}

I can't however spot an easy way of setting the value via the API as there doesn't seem to be an obvious function made available

I've *finally* been able to change the MTU setting on the B535-235 by using this package and writing a node.js script to manually change the setting :-https://github.com/siphomateke/huawei-router-api
Dropping my MTU down to 1440 has solved all of my page loading problems and my Sonos system seems much more snappy changing tracks.

As the MTU setting seems to have been specifically added to the Three version of this unit, I wonder whether this is something that they were expecting to cause problems!

I wish I had seen this post before signing up for Three, although I have only gone for a one month contract at the moment. I have experienced exactly the same. Download and upload speeds are great and consistent, wifi signal good, 4G signal excellent.

However, everyone in the house has experienced intermittent hanging of websites or apps and they are all pretty frustrated. I have spent (wasted) the last couple of days messing around with all sorts of settings and haven't managed to get over this yet and have been searching online for answers. I have recently tried changing the MTU settings to see if this will help but am beginning to think I need to revert to my BT broadband, which never experienced any issues just the speed due to my copper line being about 1/4 of what Three can offer.

I only started seeing these issues recently but contacted Smarty straight away and complained. They replied saying they knew about it and were working on it. Reply today says they have sorted it, not so. Awaiting next response.
Please complain to 3 or Smarty if you are seeing this problem.

Edit - I should have added I'm using a B525 here. The 535 is elsewhere and was working fine before lock down.

Update - Response was to reboot my device. I must admit I had not restarted the router for a day or so.
Anyway the web sites that are slow to respond did load quicker but I'm not convinced as sometimes it is perfect anyway. About the same time as I started to notice the issue other folk were complaining about I realised that LTEInspecteur would not load (not responding), dug out an old Laptop and it was the same and a different version of LTEinspecteur too. Tried uninstalling on the main machine and starting anew but same. Dropped the router to 3G and it worked fine, once running changed to 4G and back in operation. This is still the case now after whatever the network say they have done so maybe a red herring and unique to me and my two laptops or this B525.

As I said I'm not convinced that anything is sorted, been out doing some stuff around the house, came in and looked at stuff online, an aviation forum I look at did load eventually, previously had to close the page and open a new tab to load. This forum was quick (had been very slow or failed to load at times).
For most sites I do not see the problem, only some. This issue started for me only recently.
This is what I got earlier today - Our team have confirmed the problem has been rectified. Please monitor it over the next 48 hours and if the problem persists, let me know.

My background is electronics, radio, networks, systems and the like. Well used to being fobbed off by suppliers/carriers.
I appreciate this thread is about the 535 but I'm seeing the issue with a 525. My 535 is at another property and had not seen anything amiss last time I used it which was before lock down.

As I said I'm not convinced that anything is sorted, been out doing some stuff around the house, came in and looked at stuff online, an aviation forum I look at did load eventually, previously had to close the page and open a new tab to load. This forum was quick (had been very slow or failed to load at times).
For most sites I do not see the problem, only some. This issue started for me only recently.
This is what I got earlier today - Our team have confirmed the problem has been rectified. Please monitor it over the next 48 hours and if the problem persists, let me know.

My background is electronics, radio, networks, systems and the like. Well used to being fobbed off by suppliers/carriers.
I appreciate this thread is about the 535 but I'm seeing the issue with a 525. My 535 is at another property and had not seen anything amiss last time I used it which was before lock down.
I am convinced these routers have a firmware issue where it just kills the internet side of the connection if there is any change in the signal quality. I am on Vodafone experiencing the same issues or similar issues at least. Its mostly fixed, but there are still occasions where the internet will just die for a little while then come back to life.

I've *finally* been able to change the MTU setting on the B535-235 by using this package and writing a node.js script to manually change the setting :-https://github.com/siphomateke/huawei-router-api
Dropping my MTU down to 1440 has solved all of my page loading problems and my Sonos system seems much more snappy changing tracks.

As the MTU setting seems to have been specifically added to the Three version of this unit, I wonder whether this is something that they were expecting to cause problems!

I wonder if you'd be so kind as to share the setup/script for doing this please?

Ok, I bit the bullet as I was sick of the drop in connection and upgraded the firmware to B535-232 10.0.1.1(H191SP63C983).

Will report if there is any changes/improvements. Cannot see any difference in the admin panel apart from the firmware version increase.

I wonder if its a problem with 4g when accessing a mast on only one band. Its nowhere near as noticeable when using more than 1 channel with 4g+

Anyone with 4g+ noticing websites hanging?

I wonder if its a problem with 4g when accessing a mast on only one band. Its nowhere near as noticeable when using more than 1 channel with 4g+

Anyone with 4g+ noticing websites hanging?
Well that makes sense as I only get 4G on B20 as that is all that is offered on the nearest Vodafone masts. Would be interesting to know.

I wonder if you'd be so kind as to share the setup/script for doing this please?

Make sure you have node.js installed from here:- https://nodejs.org/en/download/

Got to this page https://github.com/siphomateke/huawei-router-api and click on the green "Clone or Download" button > Download Zip. Unzip the file

In your terminal/command line, navigate to the Huawei_router_api_master folder in your download folder.

run this command:-
npm install

once this is complete (might take a few minutes) run the following:-

npm run build:node

One that is complete, using a text editor, create a file in the same folder called index.js and paste in the following code:-

JavaScript:
const router = require('./dist/index.cjs.js')

router.config.setUrl('http://YOUR ROUTER IP');  // replace with your IP
router.config.setUsername('admin');
router.config.setPassword('YOUR WEB PASSWORD'); // replace with your web password

var mtu = process.argv.slice(2)[0]

console.log(mtu)

if (!mtu) mtu = 1500

async function checkConnection() {
  // Check if we are logged into the router already
  const loggedIn = await router.admin.isLoggedIn();
  if (!loggedIn) {
    // If we aren't, login
    await router.admin.login();
  }
  const stats = await router.dialup.getConnection();
console.log('Current settings')
  console.log(stats);
  return stats
}

async function setOptions(options) {
  // Check if we are logged into the router already
  const loggedIn = await router.admin.isLoggedIn();
  if (!loggedIn) {
    // If we aren't, login
    await router.admin.login();
  }

var APIoptions = {
    roamAutoConnectEnable: Number(options.RoamAutoConnectEnable),
    maxIdleTime: Number(options.MaxIdelTime),
    connectMode: Number(options.ConnectMode),
    mtu: Number(options.MTU),
    autoDialSwitch: Number(options.auto_dial_switch),
    pdpAlwaysOn: Number(options.pdp_always_on)
  }

//console.log(APIoptions)
  const stats = await router.dialup.setConnection(APIoptions);
  console.log(stats);
}

main()

async function main() {

var config = await checkConnection();
  config.MTU = mtu
  await setOptions(config)
  await checkConnection();

}

You will need to replace the IP address with that of your router and put your web UI password in.

You can now run the script to set the MTU with the following terminal command:-

node index.js 1500

Replace 1500 with whatever MTU setting you want - values below 1400 and above 1500 will throw an error.

The script will report the settings twice, once before setting the value and again once the MTU setting has been set so that you confirm it has worked.

You might need to restart the unit for the setting to take effect

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules