Sponsored Links

Strange Issue with Huawei B535 Router on Three Network

Hi folks,

The problem is Three network being unable to cope with rolling out 5G, over promising and under delivering - not Huawei, B535 is a brilliant and reliable piece of kit.

Don't waste another penny in unneeded attachments - nothing will repair the damage Three have done to their network service. They are dishonest and unaccountable and will blame everything rather than accept any responsibility unless the internet stirs up a massive ruck and Three have to act to protect their future sales.

Don't get involved and caught up in the whirlwind of systematic and ongoing social conditioning the media have been colluding in against the Chinese manufacturing giant, in fact China as a whole.

Whilst I share your sentiments regarding Three, the internet has stirred up a massive ruck but Three still isn't bothered, after all to accept the problem would also accept they're ineptitude.

Saving face by not acknowledging there is a massive issue is more important to them.

Secondly, the very same thing can be said for the Chinese government (as a whole.)

Edit: That does sound a bit like I'm comparing Three to a communist regime, which was not my intention.

Last edited:
Three still isn't bothered, after all to accept the problem would also accept they're ineptitude.
Just waiting for my EE unlimited sim to arrive. I had problems passing the EE online credit check due to moving home in the past week and the offshore call centre said that there wasn’t anything they could do about it, however to give EE their credit, I did receive an unprompted call yesterday from their UK team who wanted to understand what the issue was and then they manually ran the credit check against my old address and set the delivery to my new one. Once the sim arrives they told me to just change my account address to the new one.

It’s this sort of pragmatic attitude to customer service and the fact that the EE network will load the wickes or screw fix pages in under a second rather than 30 seconds it takes on three/smarty (if it ever loads), that makes it worth the extra £15 a month!

Hmm, loads both them webpages in under a second for me on Three.....

Still, great to hear EE taking their customer services seriously and thinking outside the box/going the extra mile to get new customers.

Don't see that blue-sky thinking very often from ISP's in this day and age, do we?

On Smarty here and as a test the wickes and screwfix home pages load fine, no issues that I can see at this time.

On Smarty here and as a test the wickes and screwfix home pages load fine, no issues that I can see at this time.
They seem to be working fine at the moment, however often they will completely time out for me along with many other sites even though there is plenty of bandwidth available and the signal is very strong. I’m not the only one on Smarty/Three with this issue as there is a thread on this board about the issue. The same sites load perfectly on the same equipment, software and mast location using an EE sim so I have decided to cut my loses!

I have communicated with Smarty and they say they have sorted the issue that I have seen recently with some sites I go to and as described here and other places. I have advised them they have not fixed it for me and I've not heard back from them since - but for 99% of what I do it works.

Hi everyone,

I found a solution that worked immediately for me and fixed all of the weird issues I was having with my B535, so I wanted to share it. This was for EE rather than Three, but it resolved a lot of problems:

I had internet on phone/PC/tablets etc. but no smart devices/Xbox Live/Chromecast connecting. No luck with EE or Huawei support (although both tried, to be fair). So here we go:

1. Log in to the router (192.168.8.1).

2. Go to the Network tab.

3. Click to add an APN (plus on the APN list).

4. Create an APN profile (just make up a name) and leave the username and password fields blank.

5. In the IP Type box, select IPv4 (the default is IPv4 & IPv6).

6. Save the profile and set it as the default.

Done!

Suddenly everything connected and works perfectly. No need for a VPN, downswitching to 3G or changing DNS settings (I can't be 100% on this last part, since I'd already changed the VPN settings to Google, but that hadn't made any difference).

I hope that helps some of you!

P.S. - Some people have reported that they can't see the IP Type setting. Another user has suggested that you can show it by inspecting the page to
make it visible or open a console (F12) once you are on the form and type;

$('#ip_type').show();

This should add the right option (which is hidden otherwise)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I found a solution that worked immediately for me and fixed all of the weird issues I was having with my B535, so I wanted to share it. This was for EE rather than Three, but it resolved a lot of problems:

I had internet on phone/PC/tablets etc. but no smart devices/Xbox Live/Chromecast connecting. No luck with EE or Huawei support (although both tried, to be fair). So here we go:

1. Log in to the router (192.168.8.1).

2. Go to the Network tab.

3. Click to add an APN (plus on the APN list).

4. Create an APN profile (just make up a name) and leave the username and password fields blank.

5. In the IP Type box, select IPv4 (the default is IPv4 & IPv6).

6. Save the profile and set it as the default.

Done!

Suddenly everything connected and works perfectly. No need for a VPN, downswitching to 3G or changing DNS settings (I can't be 100% on this last part, since I'd already changed the VPN settings to Google, but that hadn't made any difference).

I hope that helps some of you!

P.S. - Some people have reported that they can't see the IP Type setting. Another user has suggested that you can show it by inspecting the page to
make it visible or open a console (F12) once you are on the form and type;

$('#ip_type').show();

This should add the right option (which is hidden otherwise)
This EE issue is separate to that experienced by most users on Three. EE have a strange IPv6 setup where all IPv4 traffic is given fake IPv6 addresses which causes some issues at times when a site isn’t correctly configured for IPv6 where it won’t revert to IPv4 as the network is IPv6 first and foremost. Switching your device APN to IPv4 only does resolve these issues because EE will think you don’t have an IPv6 capable connection and will treat traffic normally.

Since updating the firmware on my 535 as above, I have had NO tls timeouts/stalls on loading URLs. That's a good 6 weeks or so. (Looking at the date on my post above, I installed it on 19th June...)

Since updating the firmware on my 535 as above, I have had NO tls timeouts/stalls on loading URLs. That's a good 6 weeks or so. (Looking at the date on my post above, I installed it on 19th June...)
Hi

Does the updated firmware for the B535 work on the Three UK version I have?

Many thanks

Which version Rubbra? And where did you get them from?

Can anyone advise on an issue I've been having with the B-535 and an EE SIM (unlimited data). It has been working without fault for the last 6 months, but I'm now getting an issue where I'm getting disconnected for around 5 minutes every hour (pretty much ON the hour too).

It's so random and weird, and I've scanned through this thread trying to find a solution. I've done a factory reset, I've tweaked the IPV4 settings above suggested by @TTJJ and nothing seems to fix the issue.

I'm at the brink of buying a new router (perhaps trying the B-525) but asking here in case there is anything else I should try.

Can anyone advise on an issue I've been having with the B-535 and an EE SIM (unlimited data). It has been working without fault for the last 6 months, but I'm now getting an issue where I'm getting disconnected for around 5 minutes every hour (pretty much ON the hour too).

It's so random and weird, and I've scanned through this thread trying to find a solution. I've done a factory reset, I've tweaked the IPV4 settings above suggested by @TTJJ and nothing seems to fix the issue.

I'm at the brink of buying a new router (perhaps trying the B-525) but asking here in case there is anything else I should try.
How about your MTU? It should ideally be set to 1500 on EE.

I can't think of anything else that would cause your issues. Unlikely - but perhaps the router has a fault?

Try the sim in your phone-only for a couple of hours, see if problem repeats. If it does it may be mast related, if it doesn't then something in your home might be causing it, hope it's not the phone itself. It could be some automated scheduled backup or something else, but scheduled.

How about your MTU? It should ideally be set to 1500 on EE.

I can't think of anything else that would cause your issues. Unlikely - but perhaps the router has a fault?

I'll try the MTU at 1500 later when home from work.

I'll also try it in a phone. Thanks.

What's weird is it worked so well for the last 6 months. No problems, multiple devices connected streaming video, audio web traffic etc.

Then it suddenly starts dropping out for 5 minutes at a time, usually at the same time like exactly on the hour (but has been inconsistent here too). I've disconnected various things (smart tv, smart energy meter, google home mini etc.. but no manner of disconnecting, resetting, rebooting, factory resetting has helped so far.

Going to try this MTU thing, and shoving the SIM in a phone. Thanks.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules