Sponsored Links

Strange Issue with Huawei B535 Router on Three Network

What's weird is it worked so well for the last 6 months. No problems, multiple devices connected streaming video, audio web traffic etc.

Then it suddenly starts dropping out for 5 minutes at a time, usually at the same time like exactly on the hour (but has been inconsistent here too). I've disconnected various things (smart tv, smart energy meter, google home mini etc.. but no manner of disconnecting, resetting, rebooting, factory resetting has helped so far.

Going to try this MTU thing, and shoving the SIM in a phone. Thanks.
Somehow sounds more like a local network issue rather than something wrong with the equipment if it's been fine for 6 months.

You're definitely connective through IPv4 only now?

Somehow sounds more like a local network issue rather than something wrong with the equipment if it's been fine for 6 months.

You're definitely connective through IPv4 only now?

Yes, I followed your advice to the letter, and created a different APN, uncovering the IPV4/6 options in console and selecting IPV4 only.

re: potential interference - I've also tested it with Ethernet hard wired into the back of a smart TV, and it did the same thing. Complete drop out of internet, then back to life after a few minutes.

So I'm sure its not wifi interference either.

When the internet drops out, does WiFi/ethernet disconnect entirely or is it just telling you there's no internet?

When the internet drops out, does WiFi/ethernet disconnect entirely or is it just telling you there's no internet?

It's just no internet. I can log into the router fine with no problems.

Also I know it's not an EE signal issue because my phone data works fine in the same room.

Get another router off Amazon, see if same thing happens with it. B818 is a good choice. Return if no improvement..

Also I know it's not an EE signal issue because my phone data works fine in the same room.
I've had this in the past with Three where it drops out for 30mins to an hour at a time and even though the routers connected no throughput happens. Then all of a sudden it sorts itself out. It might be an issue with your mast. I'd check the three network support checker.

I still get the same issue with Vodafone occasionally, so this isn't just restricted to Three/EE. Wi-Fi is connected but no internet. Just have to wait it out or reset router.
A B818 didn't solve this either so back it went.

I've had this in the past with Three where it drops out for 30mins to an hour at a time and even though the routers connected no throughput happens. Then all of a sudden it sorts itself out. It might be an issue with your mast. I'd check the three network support checker.

Thanks, this is on EE though.

However I still get perfect service on my EE phone so assuming they're connected to the same mast, it would rule out a mast issue.

Ok, so maybe try with another router then.

I tried the new MTU at 1500 in the settings and still had issues last night.

Just a thought but could this be EE causing this? They consider all router based traffic to be 'hotspotting' and place a cap pf 100Gb p/m on this.

I'm dubious, because I've had differing reports from EE on this matter, and also it had been working fine for the last 6 months or so when I'd gone well over 100Gb (every month). Also, I was getting this same issue before I hit the 100gb last month.

I feel the only option left is to try a new router at this point.

I still get the same issue with Vodafone occasionally, so this isn't just restricted to Three/EE. Wi-Fi is connected but no internet. Just have to wait it out or reset router.
A B818 didn't solve this either so back it went.

That's interesting as I was considering Vodafone if I don't get any joy.

These problems seem to be highly localised, so it doesn't mean it'll happen to you necessarily.

I have one other option I could try which is a VPN which others seemed to mention working for them.

I already have a PIA account, but thinking of switching to Express VPN as it seems to work better with Netflix, iPlayer etc.

I have one other option I could try which is a VPN which others seemed to mention working for them.

I already have a PIA account, but thinking of switching to Express VPN as it seems to work better with Netflix, iPlayer etc.
I think PIA support L2TP so you could add it directly to the router VPN settings to try it.

I've been having this same issue with my B535 on EE for the past few weeks. I believe it's some kind of DNS issue as I can reach IP addresses fine e.g. the router login page, but URL lookups seem to fail for a 30 seconds and then recover. My B535 model has bridge mode available so I might turn that one move firewall/DHCP duties over to my Eero to see if that fixes the problem

Also worth checking is the time setting on the router, if the NTP server isn't connecting you can get this issue.

Also worth checking is the time setting on the router, if the NTP server isn't connecting you can get this issue.
Thanks for the tip - interestingly my timezone was set to GMT+1 for some reason so now it at least tallys.
I also tried setting up the bridge mode on my B535, but my eero really wasn’t happy with that and complained that it had no internet despite it’s fixed IP config being correct. I’m now double NATing but so far haven’t had any internet issues.

Thanks for the tip - interestingly my timezone was set to GMT+1 for some reason so now it at least tallys.
I also tried setting up the bridge mode on my B535, but my eero really wasn’t happy with that and complained that it had no internet despite it’s fixed IP config being correct. I’m now double NATing but so far haven’t had any internet issues.

Let us know how is goes. I've managed to get a loan of a HTC 5G Hub router which on top of giving me 5G now, has managed to fix the issue.

I still want to resolve whats going on with this Huawei B535 though.

Let us know how is goes.
Things are much happier now especially since I moved my eero gateway into the B535’s DMZ. I do have a lot of devices on my network (over 35) so I wonder if the B535 built in firewall/DHCP sever simply isn’t up to the job. The only issue is that my eero really doesn’t like the B535’s bridge mode but I can live with double NATing

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules