Sponsored Links

Strange lampost

crakayl

Casual Member
has anyone seen these before
Inked138032962_10158005526048321_1726793785222213403_o_LI.jpg

Can you upload a cropped version of the photo?
I can't see any detail ...

Close-up of the top and bottom would help.

Sponsored Links
on further inspection they look like cctv sensors they are situated close to a layby, a suggestion was made they could be for fly tipping. although why would the council spend money on this layby when there is 2 other layby,s near by and plenty other sites that need protection in North lanarkshire. i was hoping they were something to do with 5g.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 154
They looks similar to PIR sensors.. maybe they are there to detect movement then send a radio signal to whatever CCTV may be operating in the area? ..

Is it anywhere near an airport? Cumbernauld airport for instance? If so are the sensors (or whatever they are) pointing away from it toward approaching aircraft?

Sponsored Links
OK. I found the spot on Google street view (approaching Allanton), but the most recent pictures are from 2016, and it wasn't there then. I haven't found the same model of sensor online (I thought if we knew what they did it might help work out what they were for), so I have no real idea other than the suggestions already made.

They're certainly odd. You can usually guess what something is from the design, but in this case it's tricky. My guess would be some sort of combined light (or photoelectric), air and pollution/sound sensor, but I can't figure out why they'd need three on the same post - all pointing in the same direction. The unit at the top would then be some sort of radio relay for this (not 4G/5G as it doesn't look anything like that sort of antenna).

Equally it could be some sort of system for tracking farm animals, but the setup doesn't quite make sense for that.

Sponsored Links
I do like a mystery. Things I considered:
  • traffic flow sensors (strange place for them, as there is no obvious reason to expect traffic queues there)
  • Aircraft ILS transponders (not on an airport approach, and the pole isn't in red and white)
  • traffic transponders for charging for road use (no)
  • something to do with the nearby windfarm (I can't think what)
I did have a quick look through the planning applications, but the online search doesn't seem to go back far enough.
If I lived closer (I'm 350 miles away, and it probably wouldn't count as a necessary journey!) I'd park in the layby and have a look at the pole and any other infrastructure (manholes etc) nearby to see if there is a clue as to what organisation is responsible for it.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules