Sponsored Links

Strange VOLTE Issue

Zathan

ULTIMATE Member
Hi, im currently with 3 and getting some strange occasional issues while using 4g calling, the person on the other end of the phone hears my voice with a very large delay, 10-20 seconds!, any idea what would cause such a thing? i have tried a few phones and get the same issue, has anyone else experianced this?

Thanks.

Hi, im currently with 3 and getting some strange occasional issues while using 4g calling, the person on the other end of the phone hears my voice with a very large delay, 10-20 seconds!, any idea what would cause such a thing? i have tried a few phones and get the same issue, has anyone else experianced this?

Thanks.
Never had anything like this before. I use 4G Calling all the time and it’s always worked reliably. I’ve used it on Pay monthly and pay as you go too. Try asking three for a new sim.

Thanks.
Is this the same person you’re calling? Maybe the issue is on their side?

Check the network status checker on Three website and maybe order a replacement sim or pop to your local Three store and get one.

Sponsored Links
Is this the same person you’re calling? Maybe the issue is on their side?

Check the network status checker on Three website and maybe order a replacement sim or pop to your local Three store and get one.
I have had a new SIM card which did not help, it could be on the other person's end I guess but they do not report having issues with anyone else calling, The three checker says maintenance is being done, but it has said that for months.

If one of the masts involved in the connection is using satellite backhaul then the latency will be between 650ms and 950ms. That can cause the type of delay in VoLTE calls that you describe.

If one of the masts involved in the connection is using satellite backhaul then the latency will be between 650ms and 950ms. That can cause the type of delay in VoLTE calls that you describe.

The latency is up to 20 seconds, so that doesn't explain the odd situation of the OP.

The latency is up to 20 seconds, so that doesn't explain the odd situation of the OP.
While the satellite link latency is normally between 650ms and 950ms, the effect on VoLTE calls over the link is much more than that. I’m talking from experience. My local mast uses satellite backhaul and the delay on VoLTE calls is usually around 3 or 4 seconds, and on occasions can be considerably more than that.

Sponsored Links
May be better in this case to just disable VoLTE and let it drop down to 3G for calling.

Can't think of a setting you could change to improve this.

That would be quite poor from 3, as both of my local masts are near the town centre and fibre is avalible to most homes, but what you describe would fit with what i sometimes experiance.

May be better in this case to just disable VoLTE and let it drop down to 3G for calling.

Can't think of a setting you could change to improve this.
I think i will do this, hopefully it will be improved at some point as i enjoy having the b20 indoor coverage.

I think i will do this, hopefully it will be improved at some point as i enjoy having the b20 indoor coverage.
Does your device do VoWiFi?

Sponsored Links
Does your device do VoWiFi?
It does(S21 Ultra), but i do not use this as signal in my home is fine, and data speeds are faster than my DSL, i do make quite allot of calls, so band 20 helps when inside large buildings and hiking, I have disabled VOLTE for now, i can always turn it back on when out and about as it does seem to be a problem that only happens in this area.

Thanks.
Just wandering if you are still getting the same problem.
I was using a samsung s9+ phone with smarty. I had the same issue. A phone call started off ok and then delay just came in. I changed phone and sim to three. I still have the same issue. I can be on a call and call delays from nowhere. I have to hang up and dial again to continue a chat.
I was wandering if volte is causing the problems

Just wandering if you are still getting the same problem.
I was using a samsung s9+ phone with smarty. I had the same issue. A phone call started off ok and then delay just came in. I changed phone and sim to three. I still have the same issue. I can be on a call and call delays from nowhere. I have to hang up and dial again to continue a chat.
I was wandering if volte is causing the problems
Hi, yes I am, every few days or so it happens, turning off 4G calling fixes the issue but it's very annoying.

It just happened to me. The call started fine, but after about 20 minutes, the delay must have been 10–20 seconds. I wasn't aware of it gradually getting worse, I think it suddenly happened.

Device is a Tenda 4G06 with Three-branded SIM.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules